OP
Dr. Dendrostein

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
can't see it in the picture but all polyps are open, this Carnation Coral looks like from Tonga, and the pink sclero definitely Indonesia

I bought these from Z Reef, they're on Instagram and Facebook very nice people and very knowledgeable

20200502_103038.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Dr. Dendrostein

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
oysters have prolong the life of the Carnation corals and sclero, the issue I'm having now is my de filtration is getting dirty faster, and of course because of the oysters, so I installed a 1 micron pre-filter 4 1/2 in by 20 in cartridge filter and see if that extends the life of my DE filter. With this virus issues and less flights coming in I'm hoping what corals I have left will continue to live. So far on majority of corals looking good, I have 2 that are on the way out, and a third one is showing very little atrophy. But the other four are healthy and happy.

Screenshot_20200310-155734.png

OP
OP
Dr. Dendrostein

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Buying carnation corals for the last almost 3yrs, most of them I can tell what region of the world, they come from. Example first picture see body/stalk like redish/purple lots thistles from Tonga. Second picture whiter stalk from Vietnam less thistles

Screenshot_2020-05-16-14-59-41-1.png Screenshot_2020-05-16-14-22-17-1.png

OP
OP
Dr. Dendrostein

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since adding the Pacific oysters at this time we are at 52, 20 hidden in the display tank and the rest are in the sump. The transformation has been like day and night. Because my water conditions were not right I had a lot of corals starting to starve themselves and now the ones that are still alive are open or starting to open and doing the reverse getting healthy. If I could gauge it from 0 to 10, right now we are at like 9 .5. 10 would be thriving exactly like in the ocean and we're not there yet but very close now.

Here's an example, I have one Carnation Coral that was dying and since I started adding the Pacific oysters small polyps re emerging, this would not happen if the coral is starving and slowly dying.

So, in about a year or sooner will be selling some assets and expanding the aquaculture of these corals and other similar ones. And our dream of doing a Go Fund to pay for first aquarium institution that will have a tank with almost thriving NPS soft corals and such is going to happen.

Screenshot_2020-05-09-22-17-23-1.png Screenshot_2020-05-03-23-17-20-1.png

OP
OP
Dr. Dendrostein

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have 2 carnation corals from Vietnam being delivered this morning, if healthy, should look like picture.
With the oysters in the system, if the Carnation Coral is healthy it will open within an hour to 3 hours maybe in minutes sometimes. We'll see if this hypothesis is correct

The coral in the picture her name is Deadpool, I still have her but very bad shape, as I mentioned recently my water parameters were off, because I was not doing water changes or replacing the nutrients in the water, but now that I set up the auto water changer and especially I add the Pacific oysters a lot of little polyps are coming back on her and I'm hoping she will come back to life in the next few months.

Screenshot_2020-05-20-06-31-55.png

Last edited:

najer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have 2 carnation corals from Vietnam being delivered this morning, if healthy, should look like picture.
With the oysters in the system, if the Carnation Coral is healthy it will open within an hour to 3 hours maybe in minutes sometimes. We'll see if this hypothesis is correct

Very nice, I am going to my lfs next Wednesday, they are getting a Vietnam import late Tuesday, there are usually one or two little gems in there! ;)

OP
OP
Dr. Dendrostein

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very nice, I am going to my lfs next Wednesday, they are getting a Vietnam import late Tuesday, there are usually one or two little gems in there! ;)
From the different countries I get Carnation corals from, somehow Vietnam doesn't take care of them right or do not ship them right, I don't know why, but most of the ones I've had from there come already starving and dying or malnutrition. I was given a box of 10 Carnation Coral from Vietnam around January and the importer gave me the box as soon as he picked it up from customs and not one of them look healthy and did not survive.

Screenshot_2020-05-18-22-39-17.png

bam123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

The coral in the picture her name is Deadpool, I still have her but very bad shape, as I mentioned recently my water parameters were off, because I was not doing water changes or replacing the nutrients in the water, but now that I set up the auto water changer and especially I add the Pacific oysters a lot of little polyps are coming back on her and I'm hoping she will come back to life in the next few months.

Can you add me to a list. I would be interested in purchasing some aquacultured corals from you as well as your food supplements and techniques. I have wanted to keep these types of corals since I got in the hobby over 30 years ago, but wanted to wait until somebody had proven success before doing so. Thanks!

OP
OP
Dr. Dendrostein

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you add me to a list. I would be interested in purchasing some aquacultured corals from you as well as your food supplements and techniques. I have wanted to keep these types of corals since I got in the hobby over 30 years ago, but wanted to wait until somebody had proven success before doing so. Thanks!
Will do, now when I go check the tank every time I'm surprised, because there's corals that I fray 2-3 months ago I let them fall all over the display tank and most are open or opening and growing. Also some small polyps that fell off other corals are visible and open.

OP
OP
Dr. Dendrostein

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think that whatever tank you use as long as you get the flow where they are opening up, and of course you add oysters, oysters are the key I think, they should thrive or at least live a lot longer than what we are accustomed to

Screenshot_2020-05-03-23-20-28-1.png

OP
OP
Dr. Dendrostein

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There's two things I need to master now, now that I am at this point. One, is making some oysters to spawn, and the other thing that I need to try is I have a 5-gallon clear tank like and I'm going to add a couple oysters in there live rock and Carnation corals, and see what happens

Screenshot_2020-05-03-23-20-03-1.png

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 40.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 20.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back