Dendronephthya & Scleronephthya aquaculture

p@blo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
P@blo: If you can get better pictures of the polyps and the stems, I might be able to ID it.

also, what does the body feel like?
AF33001D-FCAA-46AF-A0FA-A8701C396C99.jpeg

Kenneth Wingerter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the dendro you sent me has eaten almost nothing else for 2 months and still looks great (some growth, i think). just some live phyto occasionally... and it seems to really like coral feast as well. i feed it like crazy even tho it's in a rockless/sandless 10-gallon tank with no filter lol. still seems fine, but i'm doing a water change today, just because haha.

OP
OP
Dr. Dendrostein

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the dendro you sent me has eaten almost nothing else for 2 months and still looks great (some growth, i think). just some live phyto occasionally... and it seems to really like coral feast as well. i feed it like crazy even tho it's in a rockless/sandless 10-gallon tank with no filter lol. still seems fine, but i'm doing a water change today, just because haha.
Pictures please, no pictures didn't happen....haha

Eric owner of Blue Life USA, mention to me yesterday that Walter Smith, used oysters in the 80's as part of filtration. Trying to verify his info.

Screenshot_20201015-081718.png

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Eric owner of Blue Life USA, mention to me yesterday that Walter Smith, used oysters in the 80's as part of filtration. Trying to verify his info.

Oysters in the tank would be a temptation to mix up some cocktail sauce. When I set up my first marine tank in 1972; there were few options in fish and none in coral. So, I set up a Galveston Bay biotheme with shrimps and small fish that I caught in the marsh grasses. The center piece of that tank was a live oyster cluster that was teaming with numerous bivalves and barnacles in addittion to live oysters. Forty eight years later, I buy live bivalves from seafood counter instead of wading through marsh grasses & stingrays.

Kenneth Wingerter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Haha, I believe the oyster filter thing. I'm about ready to ditch the remaining oyster that you sent me, because I think it eats all the food I put in there LOL. Here are a couple recent pics... the wide shot includes its only coral tankmate, the fathead. Normally this tank has no light--I put an unused AI Hydra over it in the close-up shot and looks like I got some pretty extreme disco lighting effects there. I wish it normally were THAT colorful ha. But anyway, sorry for the slow response, been crazy busy. But the coral is still doing well over a couple months later and (I think) growing a bit. Thanks!

IMG_0984.JPG IMG_1019.JPG

OP
OP
Dr. Dendrostein

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haha, I believe the oyster filter thing. I'm about ready to ditch the remaining oyster that you sent me, because I think it eats all the food I put in there LOL. Here are a couple recent pics... the wide shot includes its only coral tankmate, the fathead. Normally this tank has no light--I put an unused AI Hydra over it in the close-up shot and looks like I got some pretty extreme disco lighting effects there. I wish it normally were THAT colorful ha. But anyway, sorry for the slow response, been crazy busy. But the coral is still doing well over a couple months later and (I think) growing a bit. Thanks!

At least you can eat the oysters. You'll be literally consuming your own product . Interesting I don't know anybody who's ever tried that. eat their own product

OP
OP
Dr. Dendrostein

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

All of them very happy. I believe now..... hahaha

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At least you can eat the oysters. You'll be literally consuming your own product . Interesting I don't know anybody who's ever tried that. eat their own product

oysters would not be good to eat from warm reef temperature water. Oysters from Gulf of Mexico are best eaten in cold months of Nov thru February.

when I first started growing Red Ogo, in addition to eating it straight from tank, it was a key ingredient in my Cheviche recipe. After posting on RC, a chef from Kansa City asked me how I cleaned seaweed of pods & stuff. When I said, “Pods were extra protein“, I heard him laugh all the way from Kansas City.

OP
OP
Dr. Dendrostein

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
;):):)
oysters would not be good to eat from warm reef temperature water. Oysters from Gulf of Mexico are best eaten in cold months of Nov thru February.

when I first started growing Red Ogo, in addition to eating it straight from tank, it was a key ingredient in my Cheviche recipe. After posting on RC, a chef from Kansa City asked me how I cleaned seaweed of pods & stuff. When I said, “Pods were extra protein“, I heard him laugh all the way from Kansas City.
Me hungry. ....:)

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 39 34.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 23 20.2%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.9%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 27.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.5%
Back