Dendronephthya & Scleronephthya aquaculture

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Have some of the dendros got lighter in color?
I wonder what causes the red and orange pigments in Dendros.
How long has it been now that you had these?

OP
OP
Dr. Dendrostein

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Right now I only have two that is over 7 months old, they're frags from Indonesia, they were maricultured in Indonesia. I had others that were four to six months old but changing different foods I lost most of them. The rest I just recently received directly from atsIndonesia.com through their exporter. The two white ones the cost of those two is the price of two boxes of carnation corals each box having 24 carnations. I asked for something exotic and rare. This is what I got. These are probably the only two in the USA at this time. I never had color fade on them for the last year or year and a half. Right now about 2 months ago I started experimenting more with amino acids, the main product Red Sea energy AB+, spot feeding and broadcast feeding. I'm getting excellent results. My guess is a different colors they come in maybe the type of foods available in the area they thrive. Just a hunch.

OP
OP
Dr. Dendrostein

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So what is the longest you have been able to keep these alive?
Frags 1-1 1/2 years then sold. Wild colonies 7+ months. But, changing to amino acid foods like Red Sea energy AB, with powder foods mixed in, like Coral Curry. Then broadcast and spot fed. Maybe game changer. Right now I have some dendronephthya which are orange and never been able to keep alive very sensitive and now they're thriving with the new foods. Reefing is like farming and it takes time to see results. On Instagram under same name you can see results

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Frags 1-1 1/2 years then sold. Wild colonies 7+ months. But, changing to amino acid foods like Red Sea energy AB, with powder foods mixed in, like Coral Curry. Then broadcast and spot fed. Maybe game changer. Right now I have some dendronephthya which are orange and never been able to keep alive very sensitive and now they're thriving with the new foods. Reefing is like farming and it takes time to see results. On Instagram under same name you can see results

You should try polyp labs Polyp booster. It is supposed to trigger a feeding response and it also has aminos.
I have used it and it does on some corals without a doubt. It doesn't on them all.
I put a few drops in about 5 min before feeding.

I also like acro power for amino acid. It really seems to make a difference in color at least in my sps.
I have used several before and this was the best for color. Now not sure how it would be for softies.

Another one I have had success with especially softies is a Seachem product and I have to verify the name because I think they changed names and the new name might be reef plus. Not just aminos it has vitamins and a few other traces elements. It also has some iodine in it which I feel benefits softies. My softies really love this stuff. I just need to verify which product it is.

One thing I used to talk with Ron Shimek about was aminos. He always said if a coral is feeding it should get all its nutrients from the food including aminos.

One thing I would do and have done in the past. Is add bacteria and encourage it to grow. I feel things that we do not see feeding may feed on bacteria. I think it important for some nps and gonis especially.

I have not done NPS in a long time but I am thinking of doing it again. I want to use a dosing system and a small refrigerator. I have also thought of those single wine bottle chillers and modifying one. I think I mentioned this before in this thread. My problem is nps require time unless it is automated. Feeding all the time is a pain. I am a tester on the Hydros Control so I have a lot of automation available to me and this might be a good project.

I thought I read somewhere you have a website? I would be interested in checking it out.

Last edited:

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You should try polyp labs Polyp booster. It is supposed to trigger a feeding response and it also has aminos.
I have used it and it does on some corals without a doubt. It doesn't on them all.
I put a few drops in about 5 min before feeding.

I also like acro power for amino acid. It really seems to make a difference in color at least in my sps.
I have used several before and this was the best for color. Now not sure how it would be for softies.

Another one I have had success with especially softies is a Seachem product and I have to verify the name because I think they changed names and the new name might be reef plus. Not just aminos it has vitamins and a few other traces elements. It also has some iodine in it which I feel benefits softies. My softies really love this stuff. I just need to verify which product it is.

One thing I would do and have done in the past. Is add bacteria and encourage it to grow. I feel things that we do not see feeding may feed on bacteria. I think it important for some nps and gonis especially.

I have not done NPS in a long time but I am thinking of doing it again. I want to use a dosing system and a small refrigerator. I have also thought of those single wine bottle chillers and modifying one. I think I mentioned this before in this thread. My problem is nps require time unless it is automated. Feeding all the time is a pain. I am a tester on the Hydros Control so I have a lot of automation available to me and this might be a good project.

I thought I read somewhere you have a website? I would be interested in checking it out.
Polyp labs polyp booster works for a lot of my nps corals.

Heres about 2 minutes after dosing. They are typically open all day, but get super puffy and reach out lol.

98D7F73A-BBDB-4289-9AA8-20788531E1CE.jpeg

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Polyp labs polyp booster works for a lot of my nps corals.

Heres about 2 minutes after dosing. They are typically open all day, but get super puffy and reach out lol.

98D7F73A-BBDB-4289-9AA8-20788531E1CE.jpeg

Wow and those are beautiful and Fluffy.
I am getting the bug again. I was in the process of setting up just a softy tank again. But maybe I need to do nps again.
It is not like I do not the aquariums for it.

Yea Polyp lab booster has made a difference in some of my gorgonia and some goniopora.
I originally bought it to use on a sun coral I was trying to train it to eat during the day. I think there was other issues though because it did not last long and I have always found them to be pretty easy.

OP
OP
Dr. Dendrostein

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sally from GARF, recommends the seachem product and has used it extensively. I was selling until the pandemic hit. Now I'm waiting till it's really over unfortunately. We had some really bad experiences with all the mail carriers. Oceanana1.com

dennis romano

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is my twenty year old NPS tank. There are a dozen gorgonians and a dozen sponges, oysters, feather dusters and anemones. They get fed Reef Nutrition oyster feast and phyto twice a day. I also drop in a cube of rotifers in the morning. The Dendros and sun corals get target
IMG_1303.jpg
fed large mysis.

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Speak of the devil.....
How you been? I see your children of the sea are doing well for you. I moved away from those guys and am more focused on nps nems right now. Most I have are considered reef safe and not fish eaters. Just trying to see if they need any special care or anything like that right now.

OP
OP
Dr. Dendrostein

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How you been? I see your children of the sea are doing well for you. I moved away from those guys and am more focused on nps nems right now. Most I have are considered reef safe and not fish eaters. Just trying to see if they need any special care or anything like that right now.
Covid hasn't taken me down. Still around.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 99 88.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%
Back