Desjardini or not?

mache62

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Huh...how about that. I've never heard of a hybrid sailfin tang but really why not. And awesome deal for for $10! Sounds like you've got the hlle under control too.

Xanthurum

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I concur it certainly has all the signs of a hybrid. While they are rare, they are more common than you think. The reason is they are hard to ID when they are younger so its not until they get bigger that it becomes obvious that they are hybrids. The fish collectors know what fish fetch the most money and what the market is looking for so often times they are not collected. Now if there becomes a market for them you will see them more often and they will bring higher prices. Some hybrids are worth more than others. Congrats on rescuing that guy and at the price of $10 I'd say you won no matter what.

Bapeluso

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's definitely a sailfin. As species get larger, their patterns of spots and stripes become more similar. The difference is, as people have stated above, in the tail. Sailfins tails are yellow while desjardini have white tails. With the bit of what looks to be lateral line around the face, it's all up to time time time. Keep up with water changes regularly and keeping your nitrates low and you'll stand the best chance of it recovering. Good luck with the fish my dude

OP
OP
Wolf89

Wolf89

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I concur it certainly has all the signs of a hybrid. While they are rare, they are more common than you think. The reason is they are hard to ID when they are younger so its not until they get bigger that it becomes obvious that they are hybrids. The fish collectors know what fish fetch the most money and what the market is looking for so often times they are not collected. Now if there becomes a market for them you will see them more often and they will bring higher prices. Some hybrids are worth more than others. Congrats on rescuing that guy and at the price of $10 I'd say you won no matter what.
I wonder how much this hybrid is worth?

xxkenny90xx

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A hybrid? Nice score! I've seen lots of sailfins with hlle, I wonder why that species is so susceptible to it. Anyways it'll be a long healing process but just keep it fat and happy!

OP
OP
Wolf89

Wolf89

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A hybrid? Nice score! I've seen lots of sailfins with hlle, I wonder why that species is so susceptible to it. Anyways it'll be a long healing process but just keep it fat and happy!
He was kept in a 120 with two massive lionfish in water with high copper levels. I'd say that had something to do with it

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, not sure it’s actually a hybrid. I had a desjardini sailfin years ago with a yellow tail. Beautiful fish either way.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 144 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.8%
Back