Diamond Goby - is he fat enough?

Sonam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is Skippy, our diamond back goby. He doesn't eat much of the food we feed the tank, but seems to get plenty from the sand (all kinds of stuff - snail eggs and other debris).

We've had him for about 4 months. Does it look like he's eating enough?
IMG_20180509_201253.jpg

Carterfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He seems ok to me. Have you tried target feeding him? How big is your tank? If the tank is too small he will quickly run out of food from the sandbed

OP
OP
S

Sonam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He seems ok to me. Have you tried target feeding him? How big is your tank? If the tank is too small he will quickly run out of food from the sandbed
We have a 125 gallon. No target feeding him in particular. What would we use? We feed a variety of foods, some Blue Zoo mix, and various frozen cubes (emerald Entree, marine cuisine, mysis shrimp).

cracker

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Poor Skippy looks pretty good to me ! He has a whole sand bed in a 125 ,all to his self?

Carterfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He should be good with asandbed that large, if you want to supplement him by target feeding you should try a bunch of things to see what he goes after. I think mysis is the food of choice for them if targeted.

neltel_7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know if you are still having trouble getting him to eat, but I have had great success feeding all bottom-dwelling fish, wrasses, dwarf angels, and even tangs using SHRIMP WAFERS. All sleeper gobies love them and get really big and healthy (just make sure not to feed to much). Because the wafers sit on the sand and have a shrimp smell to them the sand sifting gobies can't resist.
The package says they are for freshwater fish like catfish but after review of the ingredients, I feel comfortable using it in my reef as long as it gets eaten quickly...as it always does ;)

obviously don't use this as the sole food for all your fish, but i find it to be nice food to feed regularly because it has algae and vitamins mixed in with the shrimp

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 126 88.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 4.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.1%
Back