Digital aquatics ph probe calibration

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi there! So I have a question. I scooped up a DA ph probe and I'm having a little issue understanding the instructions. So it goes as follows
1. Soak ph probe in RO water for 1 hour
2. Go go the first calibration point and soak the probe in the calibration solution for a minimum of 1 hour.
3. Check the raw data for 1 minute.
4. If the number is still changing (1-2 points is ok) let the probe soak for another 15 minutes.
5. Check raw data for 1 minute. If the number is still changing (1 -2 points is ok) , repeat step 4.
6. Rinse in RO water (this is the step that confuses me)
7. Once raw data is stable, save and repeat steps 2 through 6 with the next solution and save.

So I guess the part that really confuses me is it doesnt say anywhere when you go into the calibration to change the value to the calibration solution. And the other thing is that after the raw data is stable it wants you to rinse the probe in ro water and then save and repeat. Wouldn't rinsing it in ro water before saving throw off the calibration??
Thanks in advance for any help and any advice.

jd371

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My probe is getting up there in age so I will need to replace it soon. I don't remember spending hours calibrating the probe, It's been a while since I've calibrated though. If I remember correctly you rinse the new probe in RO water and dip it into the 7.0 solution wait for 10 - 15 min for the numbers to settle hit enter to save, the controller switches over to the 10.0 calibration rinse the probe again and repeat with the 10.0 solution. Once done confirm with readings from dipping into the calibration solutions. I bought my controller used and didn't have instructions so I looked to Youtube for guidance and that's where I got these directions. I tested against a test kit and it was accurate so I've been doing it this way. Might be wrong so I'm going to follow and see what other people are doing.

OP
OP
Crabs McJones

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I got it figured out. I found some directions I downloaded for the RKL a while back and sort of combined the two.
I don't know if the hour soaking was because it was brand new? But here's what I did.
Soaked the probe in RO/DI water for 1 hour.
Brought up the calibration, made sure it was set to 7.0 and clicked enter until the "Raw Data" number was blinking. Then I set the probe in the 7.0 PH solution and let it sit for an hour. After an hour I observed the blinking raw dada number for 1 minute to make sure there were no fluctuations. Clicked enter where it then took me to the next calibration which is the 10.0 solution. Took the probe out of the 7.0 solution and rinsed it in RO/DI water, and on the controller entered 10.0 and hit enter until the "raw data" number was flashing. Put the probe in the 10.0 solution and let it sit for another hour. then checked the flashing raw dada to check for number fluctuations, there were none. Hit enter to save and back out to the main screen. Rinse the probe in ro/di water again and in the tank it went. Seems to have worked so far. Took some time but better safe than sorry with a brand new probe ;)

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 24 28.6%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 19 22.6%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 22 26.2%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 19 22.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back