Dinoflagellates – Are You Tired Of Battling Altogether?

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well No3 is a bit high and po4 is good but still a touch low. As the Dino die the shell of the Dino takes a lot of po4 to break down. The bacteria that is breaking it down uses a lot of po4. That maybe the reason po4 is dropping.
How is the Dino population doing?

Paullawr

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@bh750
Here this might encourage you.
Cyano on the 4th
20180104_180020.jpg

Cyano on the 14th
20180114_124837.jpg

Water change on the 20th

And this evening the 22nd 30 minutes before white lights out.
20180122_191928.jpg
You sir are awesome. I love posts like this. I think it's really important to have before, during, after and much much much later so people with a feeling of utter dispair can know success, applied safely is the best approach. Might take time, its worth it though.

whs6704

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow u have a lot.
I was fighting with that stuff and I was losing bad,I tried everything but nothing worked,and I mean everything.
But one day it was all gone
Just gone.
I beat it by mistake,and killed some coral. I don't say u should try this but this what happen.
I was doing a water change and add a power head to my sump,not knowing the dam thing had bad connecting wires.
Put it in plugged it up.i though is was working.when I checked I pulled on the wire a little that's when I found out it was bad. The wire came right off.i was so upset,but the next day all the dino algae was gone,I lost some coral but the dino was gone to.
It's been 3 month and it has not returned. My tanked has recovered and looking great.
Well that's how i won the bettle

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You sir are awesome. I love posts like this. I think it's really important to have before, during, after and much much much later so people with a feeling of utter dispair can know success, applied safely is the best approach. Might take time, its worth it though.
Im a lady ;Shy and thank you! I try to get pics in when I can.

Wow u have a lot.
I was fighting with that stuff and I was losing bad,I tried everything but nothing worked,and I mean everything.
But one day it was all gone
Just gone.
I beat it by mistake,and killed some coral. I don't say u should try this but this what happen.
I was doing a water change and add a power head to my sump,not knowing the dam thing had bad connecting wires.
Put it in plugged it up.i though is was working.when I checked I pulled on the wire a little that's when I found out it was bad. The wire came right off.i was so upset,but the next day all the dino algae was gone,I lost some coral but the dino was gone to.
It's been 3 month and it has not returned. My tanked has recovered and looking great.
Well that's how i won the bettle
So a little shock therapy actually works huh? Lmbo

Bebow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did some internet searching last night on amphidinium and came across an article by an aquaculture facility. https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0044848602003733 They had an amphidinium outbreak in one of there holding ponds but where able to eliminate them by dosing silicates to a 1:1 Silicate and Nitrate ratio causing a diatom bloom which I turn outcompeted the Dino’s for food. I’m thinking some one has to tried this here but haven’t been able to find anything yet.
I have read Randy Holmes-Farley’s research on dosing silicate, I’m thinking about trying it as it seems a low risk with potentially high reward adventure. I still have a light dusting of amphidinium to work with.
What do you all think?
Bob

Last edited:

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did some internet searching last night on amphidinium and came across an article by an aquaculture facility. https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0044848602003733 They had an amphidinium outbreak in one of there holding ponds but where able to eliminate them by dosing silicates to a 1:1 Silicate and Nitrate ratio causing a diatom bloom which I turn outcompeted the Dino’s for food. I’m thinking some one has to tried this here but haven’t been able to find anything yet.
I have read Randy Holmes-Farley’s research on dosing silicate, I’m thinking about trying it as it seems a low risk with potentially high reward adventure. I still have a light dusting of amphidinium to work with.
What do you’ll think?
Bob
I think thats a great idea. Its been discussed before and I've run across similar research forums where cultures of amphidinium were unable to be grown without silicate removal. Let us know how it goes!?

Paullawr

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do you all think?
Bob
Go for it

OP
OP
mcarroll

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do you all think?
Bob

Read through past comments in the thread about sillicates here: silicates (<--that's a thread search; click, scroll down, click "Search")

There have been 29 comments about it (so far), and I think at least one or two folks have dabbled....but it seems like ripe grounds for experimentation. :)

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm on day 13 of nitrate dosing and day 3 of phosphate dosing. My nitrates are up to 4ppm but my phosphate went down from 0.03 yesterday to 0...Zero after dosing 15cc of Flourish yesterday. What's up with that?

I dosed 25 cc tonight and I'll recheck tomorrow. Is the nitrate dosing contributing to the phosphate dropping?

I can definitely see some improvement in my dinos....not placebo affect.

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm on day 13 of nitrate dosing and day 3 of phosphate dosing. My nitrates are up to 4ppm but my phosphate went down from 0.03 yesterday to 0...Zero after dosing 15cc of Flourish yesterday. What's up with that?

I dosed 25 cc tonight and I'll recheck tomorrow. Is the nitrate dosing contributing to the phosphate dropping?

I can definitely see some improvement in my dinos....not placebo affect.
Are you dosing morning and night?

Bebow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Read through past comments in the thread about sillicates here: silicates (<--that's a thread search; click, scroll down, click "Search")

There have been 29 comments about it (so far), and I think at least one or two folks have dabbled....but it seems like ripe grounds for experimentation. :)
My search was probably to narrow, I had silicates and amphidinium in the search bar...
Sodium silicate powder and Seachem’s Si Test kit have been ordered, will arrive Friday. From reading Randy’s research a 1:1 Si to N may be risky as my N is around 8ppm so I’ll probably start at 3 ppm Si.

saltyhog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That would be the problem. Either split the dose into two or up the dose to complete two doses per day.

I'm not sure I understand. Phosphate has to be dosed twice a day?

I hadn't been dosing at all and my phosphate was slowly climbing. Then I started dosing phosphate and my level dropped to zero.

Beardo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not a requirement but may be helpful to dose twice a day early on when demand is high, just to keep levels from bottoming out between doses. Demand will settle down and then is relatively easy to maintain with dosing once a day.

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I hadn't been dosing at all and my phosphate was slowly climbing. Then I started dosing phosphate and my level dropped to zero.
Just in my experience and possibly completely anecdotal, in my tank with coral, the increased nutrients were being consumed not only by thriving colonies of dino but coral as well and as sfin52 stated, bacteria.

And then
Demand will settle down and then is relatively easy to maintain with dosing once a day.
+1

FWIW, my outbreak of dino cause some sps to STN. With added nutrients to fight dinos, those corals recovered within 2 weeks. Thus the anecdotal experience of nutrient uptake by coral. I myself did have to dose twice a day. Though my tank is only 30g and 50-70% stocked in coral for the tank size.

saltyhog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As Dino die the bacteria that break down Dino they use a lot of po4 to break it down.

Not a requirement but may be helpful to dose twice a day early on when demand is high, just to keep levels from bottoming out between doses. Demand will settle down and then is relatively easy to maintain with dosing once a day.

Alright! So phosphate demand going up like that means I'm being successful! I'll try to figure out a way to dose twice a day for a while.

Really glad I found this thread!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 47 16.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 167 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.6%
Back