Dinoflagellates – Are You Tired Of Battling Altogether?

Mark_4880

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So my nitrates are holding about 20 and phosphate at 31 to 39, usually closer to 39. They haven't budged in a week, should I do a WC?

Pacmann84

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any help in identifying type of Dino? Cant seem to find any pics that match mine.

2E13B7C0-4CBC-44FF-B1AA-83072A742E6C.jpeg

126764C6-57F1-4E87-B731-8FA849562DE5.jpeg

ABA1016A-FE40-4488-A767-AE62EED43683.jpeg

dwest

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@dwest, Which model jebao do you have, and what do you mean by making sure the tube is always covered with water? Meaning - Are you saying it is designed to run submerged? The other brands are all external from what I can tell.
I have the 55 watt version. It is external also, but you should install such that the flow in and out are pointing up so that the unit stays flooded with water if flow is lost (power outage, pump malfunction, etc).

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@reeferfoxx,

He is a picture of a new sample. Sorry for the bad images and video, my phone mount has not arrived yet, so I'm attempting to hand-hold the phone. I do agree there are different types after looking longer at the new sample. Is the best course of action to treat for the main variety?

Also, I'm starting to look for a UV sterilizer, I don't plan to leave it permanently set up so I'm wondering if there is a 'go-to' manufacturer that has had good success?

100x
IMG_1272.jpg

400x
IMG_1280.jpg

Video

I didn't see ostreopsis in these so, scratch that. I do think your other one is amphidinium. Not very active, imo. I think the coolia is some what suppressing it's ability to flourish. However, i'm no expert. I would start with UV and the regular method of getting nutrients in line.

Pacmann84

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These are prorocentrum.

Thank you. Looks like reading everything that UV light and increasing nitrates and phos are the cure? My system has been ULN for months now. Along with manual removal? Also I quit running my carbon a few weeks ago (I use the high quality carbon from BRS) does prorocentrum release toxins? I have not lost any corals or fish as of yet.

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you. Looks like reading everything that UV light and increasing nitrates and phos are the cure? My system has been ULN for months now. Along with manual removal? Also I quit running my carbon a few weeks ago (I use the high quality carbon from BRS) does prorocentrum release toxins? I have not lost any corals or fish as of yet.
Yeah it does. You'll want to run gac for a month.

Pacmann84

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fell for the BRS hype and bought the UV they sell. Two of the corals I lost cost just as much as the UV unit so the money spent is OK as long as the dinos in the microscope picture I posted are free swimming (does everybody agree that these are prorocentrum?) this should do it. If it does work I'll have to buy new fish & coral to restock my 67 gallon tank. Maybe it will help to prevent future problems. If I do get a bigger tank (Red Sea Reefer 525 XL or ELOS 120) this will be piped in permanent. I so hope this works out and finality ends this issue with dinos.

I’m curious to see what your final result has been. I have a 65 Gallon and am having the exact same Dinos as you did.

dwest

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is the most NO3 or PO4 should be increased at a time, or in a day?
I be never had a negative response raising nitrates by 5 ppm and phosphate by 0.1 ppm in a single dose. I used to dose much slower on a daily basis, but have had a doser failure. Now I add as needed directly to desired level.

Jeff_H

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the 55 watt version. It is external also, but you should install such that the flow in and out are pointing up so that the unit stays flooded with water if flow is lost (power outage, pump malfunction, etc).
Thanks again, I decided to go with the Aqua UV 57 Watt. It was on sale yesterday, so I saved a few dollars, plus I remembered we will be building a pond in the backyard in a few months so I can repurpose it there once the dinos are gone. No I just need to figure out how I'm going to plum this thin in the DT.

Jeff_H

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn't see ostreopsis in these so, scratch that. I do think your other one is amphidinium. Not very active, imo. I think the coolia is some what suppressing it's ability to flourish. However, i'm no expert. I would start with UV and the regular method of getting nutrients in line.

Thanks again for your help! The UV sterilizer is ordered and I've been slowly turning down the refugium lighting over the past few weeks to see if I can get detectable levels before dosing.

dwest

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks again, I decided to go with the Aqua UV 57 Watt. It was on sale yesterday, so I saved a few dollars, plus I remembered we will be building a pond in the backyard in a few months so I can repurpose it there once the dinos are gone. No I just need to figure out how I'm going to plum this thin in the DT.
I have one of those too. You’ll be happy.

Khalifa Alhaddad

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are more than welcome to experiment on your own accord. I will say many here didn't see success with vibrant other than the owner of this forum. He had a rare strain of dino called gambridiscus and vibrant was the only thing that worked for him. It wasn't a quick fix but a 4-6 month process of dosing.
I start it today and If i got good results then I am going to share it and let the other do the same

OpenOcean33

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Soo alage is back againnnnn After being gone for one and 1/2 weeks, I added phytoplankton daily, 6k copepods, raised nutrients, and added cheap uv sterlizer and stirred sand at night. Any suggestions I have what is believe coolia sticking to sand only. I have alot of green hair alage and some cyano growing in spots. Should u upgrade Uv sterlizer I bought the green killing machine for 69 gallon tank.

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Soo alage is back againnnnn After being gone for one and 1/2 weeks, I added phytoplankton daily, 6k copepods, raised nutrients, and added cheap uv sterlizer and stirred sand at night. Any suggestions I have what is believe coolia sticking to sand only. I have alot of green hair alage and some cyano growing in spots. Should u upgrade Uv sterlizer I bought the green killing machine for 69 gallon tank.
If hair algae and cyano are growing, let the tank be. I would leave it alone and not do anything until the hair algae starts falling off the rocks. At that point you'll want to manually remove it but dont perform a water change. Limited to no water changes will allow the tank to correct its environment. Try that and see what happens. Just feed the fish

OpenOcean33

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If hair algae and cyano are growing, let the tank be. I would leave it alone and not do anything until the hair algae starts falling off the rocks. At that point you'll want to manually remove it but dont perform a water change. Limited to no water changes will allow the tank to correct its environment. Try that and see what happens. Just feed the fish
You know what I did a water change because when I tested no3 20 po4 .12 I thought the nitrates were a little high so I did 5 gallons. I may have screwed my self. But I have green hair alage growing all over the glass at this poi t I feel it cant be much longer lol

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 66 35.3%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.2%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 48 25.7%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 59 31.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.3%
Back