Dinoflagellates – Are You Tired Of Battling Altogether?

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You know what I did a water change because when I tested no3 20 po4 .12 I thought the nitrates were a little high so I did 5 gallons. I may have screwed my self. But I have green hair alage growing all over the glass at this poi t I feel it cant be much longer lol
Yeah it's trial and error. My frustrations far extended what you are going through. I have high hopes you'll persevere through it. I will say its touch and go from then on. If you continue to do too much, they will show their face.

OpenOcean33

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah it's trial and error. My frustrations far extended what you are going through. I have high hopes you'll persevere through it. I will say its touch and go from then on. If you continue to do too much, they will show their face.
Okay just sand blasting and no water changes from here on out. Also I opened the window by the tank maybe some fresh air lol.

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay just sand blasting and no water changes from here on out. Also I opened the window by the tank maybe some fresh air lol.
Actually try not to touch the sand. Wait till it comes to doing the water change and just siphon the sand. Because, coolia will eventually find itself in the water column anyway. It's something we can do prior to growing green alvae but once that algae grows, i i would leave the tank be. The sandbed will build its anerobic and anoxic zones that will help.

OpenOcean33

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Actually try not to touch the sand. Wait till it comes to doing the water change and just siphon the sand. Because, coolia will eventually find itself in the water column anyway. It's something we can do prior to growing green alvae but once that algae grows, i i would leave the tank be. The sandbed will build its anerobic and anoxic zones that will help.
Hey I'll give it a try it's just so hard. Its sooo ugly lol.

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey I'll give it a try it's just so hard. Its sooo ugly lol.
You can always start up a cheap little pico tank to keep you occupied. I did that and went with live rock. It was just something to do while I wait. :)

OpenOcean33

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can always start up a cheap little pico tank to keep you occupied. I did that and went with live rock. It was just something to do while I wait. :)
Tempted haha because there is so much I would love to do to my tank. It's been 6 months and I have no new coral or fish

BurgerFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When you said no dosing what do you mean? no more nitrates/phosphates dosing?

What tank size you have and what UV filter were you using?
I had bad dinos bloom after dosing Vodka and frequents water change.
But now, I didn't dose anything at all. No WC also.

UV 9W for 13.5G tank.

UV alone doesn't help at all. I need to remove them manually, then use UV. Macro bubbles treatment also was helpful.

So, now I removed them again. Daily freshwater dip for macroalgae, installed back macro bubbles and UV at night.

Now in my tank:
UV 9W for 13.5G
Macro Bubbles
Upperflow Turf Scrubber
Manual removal

I think those dinos are immortal and there is no way to completely eradicate them. Once removed, I will use UV and Macro Bubble forever or they come back...

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

UV 9W for 13.5G tank.

UV alone doesn't help at all. I need to remove them manually, then use UV. Macro bubbles treatment also was helpful.

So, now I removed them again. Daily freshwater dip for macroalgae, installed back macro bubbles and UV at night.

Now in my tank:
UV 9W for 13.5G
Macro Bubbles
Upperflow Turf Scrubber
Manual removal

I think those dinos are immortal and there is no way to completely eradicate them. Once removed, I will use UV and Macro Bubble forever or they come back...
Seems a little complicated but you're right, dinos never go away.

enb141

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

UV 9W for 13.5G tank.

Now in my tank:
UV 9W for 13.5G
Macro Bubbles
Upperflow Turf Scrubber
Manual removal

What are you using for macro bubbles?

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are you using for macro bubbles?
You'll want to use a wooden air stone and a toms aqua lifter. Its best to use the outside air for this. Although, its goal is to stick to particles and travel up to the overflow, it's more or less a feel good method.

OpenOcean33

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update pics on my tank. 4 days post water change/siphon. Dinos are worse than they appear in pics. Also cyano is showing with green hair alage. I know have all the uglys and wish it would go away. Po4 .12 no3 16.
20181129_155558.jpeg
20181129_155615.jpeg
20181129_155627.jpeg
20181129_160520.jpeg

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update pics on my tank. 4 days post water change/siphon. Dinos are worse than they appear in pics. Also cyano is showing with green hair alage. I know have all the uglys and wish it would go away. Po4 .12 no3 16.
20181129_155558.jpeg
20181129_155615.jpeg
20181129_155627.jpeg
20181129_160520.jpeg
Looks good! :D

enb141

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You'll want to use a wooden air stone and a toms aqua lifter. Its best to use the outside air for this. Although, its goal is to stick to particles and travel up to the overflow, it's more or less a feel good method.

So are you saying that is pretty much useless?

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So are you saying that is pretty much useless?
Im saying it more or less isn't proven to be a method for removing dinos. It takes one dino cell to reproduce and you'll never get rid of all of them.

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can I get an I'd on these guys? Maybe prorocentrum?
1543694978827.jpeg
20181201_123741.jpeg
Unfortunately, no, I think this is amphidinium. You can see the "v-neck" towards the more narrow tip versus prorocentrums more oval shape. With shape, these look egg shaped versus the oval shape.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 6.9%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.3%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 94 81.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.3%
Back