Dinoflagellates – Are You Tired Of Battling Altogether?

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My bazooka is back hanging over my display.
My lfs recommended vibrant so I have just dosed for the second time (my nutrients were already reading zero before starting this)
I don't know how Vibrant works, or even if it will work but I am finding GHA actually more frustrating to deal with than dinos were.
After a good look around the back of the display there is a lot more algae than I thought so maybe it is using up all the nutrients before the test kits can measure it.

I followed a Vibrant thread for quite a while. This bacteria blend seems to do a lot of good things against algae when used properly. Like most bacteria supplements, it does lower Nitrate so keep an eye out there. Perhaps it will counterbalance that consumption by killing off the algae that is presently consuming your nitrate.

AaronFReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone had their alkalinity usage drop off a cliff during the initial treatment of Dinos? I started using my Jebao Uv Sunday and my skimming has been going crazy. It’s probably killing off algae and decaying organisms causing DO increase. Meanwhile my daily alkalinity dosing has had to go from 34 mL a day to 28.5 mL to stop the alk shooting through the roof. My corals have been continuing to grow noticeably and nothing has died in the tank. Any thoughts?

taricha

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone had their alkalinity usage drop off a cliff during the initial treatment of Dinos? I started using my Jebao Uv Sunday and my skimming has been going crazy. It’s probably killing off algae and decaying organisms causing DO increase. Meanwhile my daily alkalinity dosing has had to go from 34 mL a day to 28.5 mL to stop the alk shooting through the roof. My corals have been continuing to grow noticeably and nothing has died in the tank. Any thoughts?

Definitely alk usage decreases during dinos. Not everyone observes coral growth slow down during dinos, but most everyone sees growth speed up when it's past. See this from saltyhog

Woo hoo! Just did my nightly parameter checks and my Alkalinity is doing this.

Screenshot (20).png

May not mean anything but every time my dinos flare up my alkalinity climbs as demand goes to nothing. Increased my alk dosing a little and we'll see where it is tomorrow. Maybe placebo effect but It looks like PE is much better on my Pink Lemonade and WD!

ineption

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am happy to say I finally beat Dinoflagellates! [emoji16][emoji16][emoji16]
Here is what I did & i did a lot of things which I felt where more effective then others.
First I raised My nutrient levels by switching my refugium & skimmer off & taking all gfo carbon dosing ect STOP ALL THAT.
Then I started dosing havily Pattasium nitrate.
Then 3 days black out whilest havily dosing DR TIM'S WASTE waste away followed by refresh h full dose as stated on bottle.
After lights out I started Dino X for 10 days whilest dosing DR tim's products.
As soon as I finished with Dino X I put a over sized UV ON & did a 80% water change & used red sea carbon.
At this point can't really say exactly what worked, but at this point I don't care all I know is all the things I did Gave zero changce for the Dinos.

Now I have auto fish. Feeder which feeds twice a day & refugium is off for now.

Hope this helps some one as I almost gave up on the hobby as I lost most of my SPS.
Please don't delay Dinos are like cancer they will grow & grow & I feel that now there is a proven method of dealing with them.

PS didn't get the chance do ID my Dinos as my Microscope arrived as they all dissappeared.

m0jjen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20190630_125440.jpg

Okay so final effort before i break down and sell. What are these?

* I've tried 2x UVC (at once, total wattage of 78w on 700 litres)
* Dose nutrients daily - both phosphate and nitrate
* Dose bacteria - If its on the market i dosed it
* Start refugium with proper kessil light - Chaeto died
* Removed sand - Still gone
* Daily removal and scraping, turkey bastering so it goes into my clarisea - no results

Probably 10 more things but nothing works. Litterly nothing

Neoalchemist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20190630_125440.jpg

Okay so final effort before i break down and sell. What are these?

* I've tried 2x UVC (at once, total wattage of 78w on 700 litres)
* Dose nutrients daily - both phosphate and nitrate
* Dose bacteria - If its on the market i dosed it
* Start refugium with proper kessil light - Chaeto died
* Removed sand - Still gone
* Daily removal and scraping, turkey bastering so it goes into my clarisea - no results

Probably 10 more things but nothing works. Litterly nothing
I'm not the best id person here but, it appears to me you have amphidimium. Which can be the hardest ( and easiest) to treat. Either way silicate dosing coupled with nutrient management will knock it out. Here's the thread.
https://www.reef2reef.com/index.php?posts/4523313

m0jjen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not the best id person here but, it appears to me you have amphidimium. Which can be the hardest ( and easiest) to treat. Either way silicate dosing coupled with nutrient management will knock it out. Here's the thread.
https://www.reef2reef.com/index.php?posts/4523313

Yes, thats pretty much the ID i did aswell. Done the nutrients, no silica tho. Guess thats the only thing i havent done. Tho i have siporax which leech silica

Neoalchemist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, thats pretty much the ID i did aswell. Done the nutrients, no silica tho. Guess thats the only thing i havent done. Tho i have siporax which leech silica
It's not the silica that does the trick it's the diatoms that bloom because of the extra silica. They outcompete the dino.
Oh, and nutrients have to stay up while silicate dosing also.

m0jjen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's not the silica that does the trick it's the diatoms that bloom because of the extra silica. They outcompete the dino.
Oh, and nutrients have to stay up while silicate dosing also.

Im aware of that. But i doubt the diatoms prefer certain siloca sources. Hence the comment about siporax leeching silica :)

dwest

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My siporax did not leach silica according my Triton test. I did however have to remove my siporax as it was contributing to my very low nitrates. Agree with the recommendation to dose silicates.

Sailfinguy21

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just find it funny how people were bashing me in person and on forums for having no sump protien skimmer using tap water which fyi has silicates.. and no gfo.. having high phosphates and nitrates... and those same people with all those gizmos to keep everything at near 0 are having dino issues.. and here i am never having dinos in any of my tanks.

The only algae (issues) i have in my tanks are a powdery diatom film that ends up on the glass daily and hair algae which my tangs fox and snails control

Just saying

m0jjen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My siporax did not leach silica according my Triton test. I did however have to remove my siporax as it was contributing to my very low nitrates. Agree with the recommendation to dose silicates.

Im in the process of removing mine atm. Had afew tritons with elevated silics

I just find it funny how people were bashing me in person and on forums for having no sump protien skimmer using tap water which fyi has silicates.. and no gfo.. having high phosphates and nitrates... and those same people with all those gizmos to keep everything at near 0 are having dino issues.. and here i am never having dinos in any of my tanks.

The only algae (issues) i have in my tanks are a powdery diatom film that ends up on the glass daily and hair algae which my tangs fox and snails control

Just saying

Nothing wrong with it if it works. Main reason i dont use tapwater is the fact that i dont know what it contains. Even if i did it would change with seasons. Not everyone has tapwater pure enough to use in a reef tank either :)

Sailfinguy21

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No i agree the tap water here in northern virginia i dunno how pure it is... but it is near perfect for a reef tank PH wise. Our top water in the DMV Msryland d.c virginia is like 8.0 its really high.

I dunno whats in my tap but it works lol.. all i know is it has chloramines in it and some nitrates

AaronFReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely alk usage decreases during dinos. Not everyone observes coral growth slow down during dinos, but most everyone sees growth speed up when it's past. See this from saltyhog

Taricha, thanks but I meant AFTER the dino treatment decimated them. I’m still getting tons of skimmate production after starting UV. But the thing that I’m wondering about is my dosing with Dinos was 35 mL of alk two part per day to now only 25. My alk has spiked a dKH over a week while I have been trying to find my new necessary dose for the doser. In other words after killing dinos: less acids are being produced, way less CO2 is being absorbed, or way less coral growth is happening. I don’t think it’s the last of the three as I can see new coral growth in that week.

Bernie King

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Totally. Having your own scope is best, but until you get one I'd be happy to ID any suspected Dinos that anyone wants to send me. PM me for details. It'd need to be next day shipping, because if it sits more than a day in summer shipping heat, I couldn't ID what was left.

I know you were half-joking, but pulling some debris from the bottom of someone's healthy established algae-filled Fuge would be great to seed a new tank with. There's great stuff in there.

Ok, to deliver on the tease... pods & snails aren't the only things that eat dinos. Here's my personal unsung hero dino grazers: Ciliates!
This is a large relative of Euplotes having ingested amphidinium (click each pic for link to video)

This is Coleps having ingested an amphidinium and a couple other dino cells (click for vid moving through focal plane). I've seen a bunch of these in other people's tanks too after they had dinos. Common dino grazer?

This is a hypotrich ciliate of some kind

And Finally, my favorite - these worm-looking ciliates eat Ostreopsis (yep) a handful at a time (!). I hadn't posted these when I shot them back in April of 2016, because (heh) I saw these videos and honestly thought we could solve Dino problems by shipping people bottles with a million of these guys to pour in your tank.
Enjoy video

Only 3 problems with that.
1. Had no idea what they were
2. No idea how to culture them to any density
3. Biggest and most importantly - I didn't realize the huge difference between "can eat toxic dinos" - (these do!), and "can grow and multiply on toxic dinos" (nothing does)

two days ago I got an ID for them from this dude's video (of them eating different dinos)
"Ciliado marino,posiblemente Trachelocerca
Su aspecto recuerda al ciliado Lacrymaria"

Can theses be bought in a bottle

Bernie King

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Totally. Having your own scope is best, but until you get one I'd be happy to ID any suspected Dinos that anyone wants to send me. PM me for details. It'd need to be next day shipping, because if it sits more than a day in summer shipping heat, I couldn't ID what was left.

I know you were half-joking, but pulling some debris from the bottom of someone's healthy established algae-filled Fuge would be great to seed a new tank with. There's great stuff in there.

Ok, to deliver on the tease... pods & snails aren't the only things that eat dinos. Here's my personal unsung hero dino grazers: Ciliates!
This is a large relative of Euplotes having ingested amphidinium (click each pic for link to video)

This is Coleps having ingested an amphidinium and a couple other dino cells (click for vid moving through focal plane). I've seen a bunch of these in other people's tanks too after they had dinos. Common dino grazer?

This is a hypotrich ciliate of some kind

And Finally, my favorite - these worm-looking ciliates eat Ostreopsis (yep) a handful at a time (!). I hadn't posted these when I shot them back in April of 2016, because (heh) I saw these videos and honestly thought we could solve Dino problems by shipping people bottles with a million of these guys to pour in your tank.
Enjoy video

Only 3 problems with that.
1. Had no idea what they were
2. No idea how to culture them to any density
3. Biggest and most importantly - I didn't realize the huge difference between "can eat toxic dinos" - (these do!), and "can grow and multiply on toxic dinos" (nothing does)

two days ago I got an ID for them from this dude's video (of them eating different dinos)
"Ciliado marino,posiblemente Trachelocerca
Su aspecto recuerda al ciliado Lacrymaria"

How do I get hold off some Ciliates then please?

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 64 31.5%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 53 26.1%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 42 20.7%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 42 20.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%

Back