Dinoflagellates – Are You Tired Of Battling Altogether?

andrewey

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beat back my ostreopsis thanks to this thread with UV, increasing nutrients, and increasing biodiversity. They did not return with increased skimming or my first two water changes. However, I did notice a very small population of Amphidinum on two of my rocks. I'm in the process of raising my tanks temperature to see if that works. I'll report back on the outcome and add an extra data point if it's successful. Will be sampling daily to see how the population fairs.

drawman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Dino battle has been long, since December of 2019. I posted earlier in this thread in January of this year. I started my 108g tank on October 5, 2019 after a seven year hiatus from the hobby from a tank that I bought from another person who was moving from the area. After I left the hobby, my previous tank was a little neglected, and had nitrates well above the range that could be tested on my API test kits, I never tested Phosphates. I had fish, and basically a couple leathery pieces, gorgonians, and GSPs, and mushrooms, and Paly's. That was about all I could keep LPS, SPS would never last long in my old tank.

This time around, I was going to do my research. I remember dealing with hitch-hikers, flatworms, aptasia, and I was going to therefore start with dry rock this time, aragonite live sand. I picked up the Neptune Apex controller, and I was excited about this new technology which wasn't available with my previous tank. I bought Salifert Kits, Hanna Kits because I was going to check my levels this time. I remember reading that SPS required near zero nitrates and phosphates and I had that goal in mind. I read about NoPOX, Refugiums, Chaeto, and all those methods that helped to keep nitrates and phosphates in check. I set my tank temp at 79F through the Neptune Apex.

Started off with a Dr. Tims fishless cycle, quarantined some clownfish, and got started with the tank. I thought to myself as I would slowly add fish, I knew that feeding and fish waste would add to the nitrates, so within a month I had started Chaeto in the fuge, and NoPox dosing per the label. Of course, I never had any Nitrates and Phosphates read out on my kits. Went through the Diatom phase, never really saw any green algae. Wasn't worried about it since I was expecting it. 28 days into it, I went and got a ricordea, zoa frag, and Favites brain coral. I then picked up a Neptune Trident so I could automate the big 3.

By the end of November, I had added a couple of SPS frags as well - birdsnest and a cheap acropora. I started noticing more red cyano building up. My Alk/Ca/Mg were dialed in and stable. Coralline was starting to appear on the back glass and rocks. Nitrates and Phosphates were zero. No green algae. I thought I was golden. Cyano really was driving me nuts just before Christmas before I went on a long weekend trip. I got impatient, and decided I was going to do Chemi-Clean. Chemiclean worked within days. Sand looked awesome, rocks were clean of the red cyano. By the time the new year came, I was getting a brown deposit on the sand once again, and also had bubbles. Rock had bubbles. SPS and LPS had evidence of the brown algae on them. I was puzzled and didn't think another Diatom bloom would do this. They would tend to disappear at night.

I bought a microscope, and confirmed I had Prorocentrum and Ostreopsis in early January 2020 when I had posted in this thread. My nutrients had been 0 Nitrates and 0 Phosphates since day one basically. I started with dosing KNO3 - Tree Stump Remover mixed up, and Brightwell Phos. I found that for the first couple of weeks, I could not keep my phosphates above zero, dosing sometimes twice a day. Nitrates stayed elevated up to 10. My strategy was well known to this thread:

1. Nitrates up to 10, phosphates up to 0.1 and keep them there
2. Let the glass get dirty, turned off my fuge. Stopped the NoPox.
3. 3 Day Blackout
4. Buy the 55W Bazooka from Jebao and Plumb it directly into the display
5. Filter Floss in High Flow Areas
6. Frequent blowing of the dinos off the rocks.
7. Turned down the intensity of my lighting to 50% from 100%
8. Dose Microbacter 7
9. Dose Phytoplankton and Copepods

I did this for about two weeks. The GHA started to appear big time on the rocks and backwall. The glass looked like hell. The SPS Corals succumbed quickly, and the Brain coral was looking bad. The Zoas were looking bad. By third week of January, the sand looked better but not completely normal. I decided I was going to let my light ramp up again, but I was going to maintain my Nitrates at 10-20 and Phosphates at 0.08-0.1 by dosing and checking once or twice daily. By January 25, I was getting more browning of the rocks, and the appearance was all Prorocentrum. I made the conclusion that they were not leaving the sand bed to be nuked by the UV sterilizer so...

I pulled my entire 80lb, 1.5 inch deep sand bed.. I had marinepure in my sump, so I figured I wouldn't trash my tank with an inadequate bioload.

After that, no more brown on the bottom of the tank. Problem solved, just maintain the nitrates and phosphates right? Disconnected the 55W Jebao UV sterilizer. Lets add some more Acans, Elegance, Hammer Coral, and some more SPS frags! Things were looking pretty good, until we got to late February, when there was more browning of the rocks, and bubbles, and a little snot. There was recession the LPS, and STN, followed by rapid colonization of the coral skeleton with the algae. Maybe it was just another GHA as I was still dealing with that. I decided I would check it again...

All Ostreopsis, no prorocentrum. dang...

Jebao Bazooka back online, 3 day blackout, blast the rocks. Continue to maintain nutrients. Figured I would now start adding 1ml/10gal of Vibrant into the tank to deal with the GHA twice a week. Took all the way until early April before the GHA disappeared. The Ostreopsis disappeared from microscope view within a week. I would continue the UV sterilizer through this. Elegance, Acan recessed severely, but not completely dead.

By Early-Mid April, I was pretty satisfied with how the tank looked. NO3 now 15-20 steady, Phos 0.06-0.08 steady. Alk dialed in at 8 with dosing, Mg at 1300, Ca at 430. No visible dinos, and maybe would see one ostreopsis per slide and sometimes another funny looking dino which I would come to ID later as Amphidinum. Out with the UV Sterilizer and ramp up the lights again.

Bought a cheap Acro frag, an Alveopora, another Acan, and another Favia to see if these guys can hang in there this time.

By mid April, im testing Nitrates and Phosphates daily, and keeping the Neptune Trident running with the levels dialed in solidly stable. Minimal amounts of hair algae. Scaled way back on the vibrant. Still dosing Microbacter 7 weekly. Start dosing NoPox at 25% of recommended value to see if I can get my Nitrates to 5-10 and my phosphates to 0.04. Start to see the Acro Frag within 4 days of placing him stop extending polyps and losing his green color. The other Alveos, Acan, Favia still look great. See one or two bubbles on a patch of algae on the back wall that my magnet cleaner doesn't get. I also sampled some spots on the rock where some (like 1 or 2) bubbles were forming in the little GHA that was left. I put it under the microscope.

Algae, but probably about 5-10 ostreopsis, and 40-50 Amphidinum cells on my slide, this is right at the start of this month May. Granted, you really could not see any evidence of dinos at this point, but I wasn't going to let them get ahead of me. Also will not that Alk consumption drops as well when the dinos have taken hold, and that was starting to happen on the Trident.

UV Back on, Light intensity dropped. NoPox stopped.
Vibrant Stopped

I started surfing the Amphidinum thread on this forum, and saw what @Mark had posted about raising the tank temperature. I started raising my tank temperature on May 5th, and in 24 hours on May 6th, I was at 82.2F and holding steady. Today, I have checked my glass, rocks, floor of the tank, base of my coal frags under the microscope multiple times today. I have only seen one amphidinum cell so far and no ostreopsis. Corals did not seem to mind at all the temperature increase over the 24 hour period.

I'll keep checking under the microscope daily, while holding the temp at 82.2F and we'll see how things go.
A big thank you and credit to @hankacrank for sharing his discovery. Your story reminds me of mine. After decades of reefkeeping and fighting the usual pests or hiccups, I was beginning to think I finally ran into a chronic pest that would make me want to quit. Both of my reefs suffered from it, which led me to realize I wasn't going to get past it by starting over with new rock, substrate, etc. And I couldn't make sense of why Dino's were never a big deal in the past. We didn't need to dose nitrate, run UV, etc. How did an algae that was previously just a short hiccup in a new tank transition to being a plague that persists and chokes the life out of a tank today. You see veteran reefkeeping youtubers/bloggers/podcasters struggle to give advice on it, because they have never had longterm issues with it. Like diatoms, they were a temporary setback. I spent a long time wondering what changed. What's new in our methodology? Was it the bacterial dosing bottoming out nitrates? Iron from GFO? Lack of diversity due to the disappearance of real live rock in the hobby? Perhaps it was a more seasonal temperature range, since we used to bake our tanks with metal halides and T5's. It wasn't uncommon for my older tanks to hit 82 in the summer months. Who knows really though. All I know is that since I've bumped my temps up, the Dinos have vaporized and my corals are extremely happy and growing. And my tank smells like the ocean in a good way again.

Now I'm left wondering why the increased temperature works. Does it impact the lifecycle of Dino's? Does it affect availability of trace elements or metals? Does it impact denitrification and keep nutrients from bottoming out?
Are you guys keeping your tank at these elevated temps indefinitely or just for a set period of time? Would be curious to see how many people this is effective for.

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I spoke with AquaUV the other day and they said my MJ600 putting out 160 gph was too slow turnover for my 26g lagoon with an AquaUV 15w Advantage to be fully effective. They recommended a minimum of the stated 230 or so gph which would be a MJ900. Is it really worth it to change to that pump for the extra few turnovers per hour or am I doing the right thing for my persistent coolia? Here’s how it’s set up in the tank on the back wall.

DDD82E74-713E-405A-9443-5B816F6CCB7F.jpeg
note my tank kind of gyres clockwise due to the MP40 in the back left corner and an icecap gyre more forward on the right.
As long as the flow is sufficient to keep the bulb temp in check, slower is better. Is the effluent noticeably warmer than the tank water? If not, keep it slow.

andrewey

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you guys keeping your tank at these elevated temps indefinitely or just for a set period of time? Would be curious to see how many people this is effective for.
I'm going to run elevated temperature for 14 days then return back to my tank's normal temperatue. I would be interested to see how effective this is and whether the temperature increase is associated with an elimination or reduction in dinos and whether it works long term after returning to regular temperatures.

Mark

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have no real understanding of why temperature would beat the dinos but I do remember from a class long ago how temperature changes that seem relatively minor can affect big changes in enzyme activity, etc and it’s possible that the Dinos we face have deteriorated metabolic function while their competitors possibly even see an increase allowing them to outcompete. Watching along to see how this plays out for folks.

Yeah, I'd love to understand the mechanics behind it. I did see a study that proposed heating the ballast water in ships to 95 degrees to kill Dino's, and avoid spreading red tide. Obviously 95 is way to hot for corals, but it was an article linking temperature to dino's.

I kept the tank at 82 for almost two weeks, and then dropped it to 80.5. I have not see a re-occurence of Dino's. I'm tempted to drop it completely back to 78, but then I question why I would I even bother. Like I stated in previous posts, 82 was not uncommon for tanks running 250-400-watt metal halides(my tank previous to this one was a 225g that ran around 81 degrees). And to be honest, my corals and fish are doing great. Same for inverts and desirable algae. The only worry I have is shortening the lifespan of some Mexican turbo snails in the tank. The other factor is that my LED-lit tank with low power DC pumps is in a cool basement, so keeping temps up requires a lot of heater run time and electricity. But this hobby was never meant to be cheap right? :) Even if the Dino's were eliminated rather than supressed by temp, it stands to reason that any new coral I buy could reintroduce these type of Dino's.

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are these dinos?

Do doing a water change today, once water movement stopped I noticed these brown clouds coming off of the sandbed...slowky going up onto water column and staying in little clumps.

They aren't visible once flow gets moving and only appear when I kill pumps for feeding and wc.

20200509_105105.jpg

20200509_105026.jpg

Tank is 5 months old, NO3 is 5ppm PO4 I dose to 0.04 daily otherwise it drops to 0.

Let me know if other images/info are needed. Unfortunately I do not have a scope right now but I suppose easy fix from Amazon. Not seeing any bubbles and I have some hair algea growing.

I am seeing some goo like that in one of my tanks too. I put it under a scope and it is not dinos. It is very small greenish round cells without any movement. Some kind of an algae, but I have yet to ID it.

Zephrant

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I setup a new 54g corner tank on April 9h with dry rock. By the 24th it was in full blown Dino mode. Tank has a decent little skimmer, floss and carbon. Floss was changed twice a day, as it would get loaded up with Dinos.
Daily dosing of two caps of Brightwell MicroBacter7 had no impact on the Dinos. 50% water change didn’t have an impact.

I turned off the lights, but did not black-out the tank for four days, and the Dinos appear to be gone. Two days with the lights back on, and they have not returned.

I also restarted a 14g (ish) Biocube at about the same time, with the same result- packed with Dinos within a few weeks, 3-4 days with the lights off and no Dinos in 4-5 days since I turned them back on. In that tank I run carbon and daily floss changes.

I just wanted to add my experience to the thread- if you haven’t tried a blackout treatment, it’s worth the time.
(Before and afternoon images).

64356C13-A63C-49EC-90AD-66FE0A314686.jpeg 07ECB5C3-3331-43DA-866E-EC1903F0A3BF.jpeg

eschaton

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been doing several different things in an attempt to get my dino outbreak under control:
  • I am dosing vibrant once per week. I had been dosing Dino-X, but after my rock flower anemone took a turn for the worse, I stopped
  • I swapped out my protein skimmer for a PaxBellum ARID unit. It is growing Chaeto much, much better than my fuge had been. I'm supplementing iron, but not much else for it at the moment.
  • I purchased two batches of pods, along with OceanMagik, from Algae Barn.
So far, it appears to have helped a little. There's still a notable amount of dinos on parts of my tank - most notably one of the brown macros near the water surface. However, some of the other macros are almost clean again, with the sand surface having less dino colonization as well. Unfortunately I'm also getting a few patches of cyano on the sand, but these are still rather small and tend to vanish overnight. Coraline has finally started to grow in significant patches on the back wall, which I'm going to take as a good sign.

flabryth

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know what percentage of folks had luck battling dinos with any of the methods in the old Dino thread but it's obviously a very low percentage, so I'd like refresh folks on the natural alternatives and lay out three areas of info:
  • some of the factors that contribute to a dino outbreak
  • how to avoid common dino outbreaks
  • and what do if your tank is already having an outbreak
Let's get started!

Common Contributing Factors
Some of the most common factors that contribute to the dino outbreaks we cover in this thread are:
  • the tank being new, rock being immature or the tank being otherwise highly disturbed, such as by other harsh tank treatments
  • hard core nutrient reduction tools being used, such as
    • organic carbon dosing
    • excess "bio media"
    • algae filtration
    • nutrient adsorbing media like GFO
These four factors, or excess nutrient removal generally, play – usually in combination; rarely just one factor alone – pretty directly into dino's conversion to the blooming, phagotrophic, mat forming, toxin-producing side of their nature.
  • Starvation Is Their Cue
    • Dino's seem to prefer life as autotrophic epiphytes on macro algae – chaeto morpha seems to be one of their favorite types to host in. (Maybe this fact can be useful to us; maybe sometimes chaeto ought not be used, or used with special consideration)
    • For several reasons, dino's seem to be terrible at nutrient uptake. This means they are more prone to starvation than many or most other microorganisms they have to compete with.....especially bacteria, which can scavenge free nutrients down to CRAZY low levels...low enough to starve out other microbes or algae.
    • With their protective mucus mats, potential to generate wicked toxins, and ability to survive not only by way of photosynthesis and dissolved nutrients, but alternately, when times get tough, by "eating their neighbors". (The least of their tricks.)
    • Dino's generally gain a competitive edge against their competitors AND their predators in a nutrient-starved environment. Keep reading!
How To Avoid Having A Dino Outbreak
In a nutshell, here's how to avoid dino outbreaks and begin to normalize your tank if you already have an outbreak:
  • Phosphate Control
  • Nitrate Control
  • Starvation conditions (zero or near-zero nitrate or phosphate levels) should be avoided.
    • Keep in mind that dissolved nutrients are not "waste products" to be eliminated
    • They are nutrients for the critters you care about like corals
    • The are also nutrients for a potential multitude of mostly-unknown/anonymous microbes that are needed to bring stability to a new tank.
    • Once excess nutrients have an impact, in fact, they usually can't be simply eliminated with media anyway – they've probably already had an impact on the tank's microbial cycle. (See blog link #3 at bottom.)
    • This all adds up to skipping almost all "extra" nutrient removing steps during the tank's initial development. This period seems to be especially critical, and longer in a tank started with dry, dead rock. Don't use anything until it's absolutely needed and other options have been fully exhausted...and be conservative with how you apply any nutrient removing tool.
What to do if you're tank is already having a dino outbreak
When attempting to control an organism like a dinoflagellate, confirming the ID will help, if possible:
  • So to begin with, make sure you have Dinos – you should have multiple factors at work...these factors were mentioned in the first section above. The less these factors seem to describe your tank, the less likely any of this advice will be correct for your situation – so post questions! :)
    • no special equipment is needed to confirm whether your algae sample has dino's and/or other algae
    • Use @taricha's dino confirmation guide on posts #986-987.
  • Once you have confirmed that you have dino's you should ideally figure out what type(s) your tank is hosting. (Multiple species blooms seem almost as common as single-strain blooms.)
    • A basic 1200x microscope will be useful and doesn't have to be fancier than a $15 toy scope. Even a $50 scope is a lot nicer, if you think you might be more serious about it.
    • See: Selecting a microscope for more discussion.

• Extra Measures
    Generally, these tools will give extra control in terms of removing and/or killing cells in the water column....usually, along with other measures explained here, expediting the close of the dino bloom.
    • UV
      You can find discussions throughout the thread by using this search, with a great breakout of spec's on post #3770.
    • Diatom Filtration
      Effective, but not that popular. The more common units like the classic Vortex are somewhat difficult to use, and the newer units like the new Marineland Polishing Filter are relatively unknown. Still worthy of consideration.
So, after you get a measure of control, make sure you read What is the End Game?

Miscellaneous Goodies

• Take measures to assure that your feeding system is very consistent. An auto-feeder is an overlooked tool on most tanks. Look at Eheim's feeders...set them on low with high quality flake food. Just don't let them run your whole feeding program as flake isn't great food.

• Find out what inconsistencies you can eliminate with your husbandry to prevent more unneeded disturbances and the resulting microbial/algal changes. This could be changes to lighting or water chemistry – make them as consistent as you can.

• E.g. If you're adding new livestock all the time, stop it. If you have a color-tunable light fixture, stop re-tuning the colors. If you don't have an ATO keeping your salinity stable, get one. If you're still managing your dosing by hand, get an $80 4-head doser. Etc.

• If you provide the stability, then your dino's competitors will start competing with them and their predators will start eating them!!

• One thing that seems to help things progress is to stop scraping down the algae off your glass....once the dino's start giving up space that is. Mechanical removal is a legit short-term strategy and might help give competitors a leg up too.

Other interesting more-or-less related links on my blog:
(Also cross-posted in the old Dino thread!)
Generally speaking the only time I had an issue with dinos was when I used GFO too long and my water flow in my tank was suspect. In my new 75 I have started I got great flow and am starting it with a reduced lighting period. I have not dino or algae at all in my tank to speak of (I am praying to the tank fairies right now). this slow and steady pace seems to be the best approach for me.

I am using a fluidized media section in my sump and two media chambers with marine pure bio media in them. This will allow me deal with the ammonia and nitrite in the system send the nitrate into the display tank and then have the nitrate filtered in the sump supply chamber. A skimmer will be installed after the both type of filtration have matured enough. The goal here is to allow the tank to balance itself out naturally without having to dose for any of the associated nutrients and have a skimmer to pull out anything that the other two processes do not pickup.

hankacrank

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
DUDE! @Mark . Thank you for the shoutout! I'm just glad you gave the temp increase a shot and that it worked for you as well. Time will tell if this is species-specific or what.

Last edited:

Nicholas Dushynsky

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm going to run elevated temperature for 14 days then return back to my tank's normal temperatue. I would be interested to see how effective this is and whether the temperature increase is associated with an elimination or reduction in dinos and whether it works long term after returning to regular temperatures.
[/QUOTE]
I've just come across this plan of action of raising temp. I normally run at 78.5, I'm going to raise my temp up to 82, does it matter what type of dinos you have or is it just higher temp?

Mark

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I've just come across this plan of action of raising temp. I normally run at 78.5, I'm going to raise my temp up to 82, does it matter what type of dinos you have or is it just higher temp?

We don’t know if it’s effective for all Dino’s, and the verdict is still out if dropping temps brings them back. We need more people to try it out. 82 was not uncommon for reef tanks in metal halide days, so it’s a relatively safe experiment if you do it gradually and use a reliable temperature controller.

I haven’t felt compelled to drop it back to 78. The tank is doing so well that I’m leaving it as is for now at 80.5

Nicholas Dushynsky

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We don’t know if it’s effective for all Dino’s, and the verdict is still out if dropping temps brings them back. We need more people to try it out. 82 was not uncommon for reef tanks in metal halide days, so it’s a relatively safe experiment if you do it gradually and use a reliable temperature controller.

I haven’t felt compelled to drop it back to 78. The tank is doing so well that I’m leaving it as is for now at 80.5
Cheers I used to run all my tanks at 80 when running t5 then changed to led and sort of sat around 78 and been there ever since.im just going to raise it to 80 then a couple days later raise it a bit more until I get to 82. Is there an amount of time to leave it at that temp for? I haven't officially diagnosed the dinos I have it's just the really long stringy stuff, that's as much as I know about the stuff I have.

NS Mike D

In the arena.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting about the temperature. I'll keep that in the arsenal.

No visible signs of dinos for a week or two. The reef keeper 29g clean up crew arrived just in time. They are working their way around the tank as shades of algae are showing in the rocks, Nice to be ahead of the curve for once.

My NO3 is a 20 and PO4 0.20.

I'm tempted to start back with the water changes and put the skimmer back to start bringing those numbers down, but I decided to let the cheato (which is growing well), the clean up crew and the pods and phyto work the tank for the time being.

Mark

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cheers I used to run all my tanks at 80 when running t5 then changed to led and sort of sat around 78 and been there ever since.im just going to raise it to 80 then a couple days later raise it a bit more until I get to 82. Is there an amount of time to leave it at that temp for? I haven't officially diagnosed the dinos I have it's just the really long stringy stuff, that's as much as I know about the stuff I have.

Definitely target at least a week. Around day 4 I didn’t really see much improvement. It actually looked a little worse. But around the 1 week mark they rapidly disappeared. Let us know how 80 goes.

I’m also curious to try a water change now since that usually triggered an outbreak. Wonder if I can get away with water changes now.

tkdman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been Battling Dynos for the past few months. thought they were gone, finally started adding corals and a new fish......then boom! One day rocks and sand looked great, then next a little brown in the sand, following freaking everywhere! Trying the Temperature method now

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting about the temperature. I'll keep that in the arsenal.

No visible signs of dinos for a week or two. The reef keeper 29g clean up crew arrived just in time. They are working their way around the tank as shades of algae are showing in the rocks, Nice to be ahead of the curve for once.

My NO3 is a 20 and PO4 0.20.

I'm tempted to start back with the water changes and put the skimmer back to start bringing those numbers down, but I decided to let the cheato (which is growing well), the clean up crew and the pods and phyto work the tank for the time being.

Whichever levers you pull to reduce nutrient go slow. You have plenty of nutrient just go S-L-O-W in bringing them down. Think glacial.

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been Battling Dynos for the past few months. thought they were gone, finally started adding corals and a new fish......then boom! One day rocks and sand looked great, then next a little brown in the sand, following freaking everywhere! Trying the Temperature method now
RU running UV?
Do you have an ID on the dinos?
PO4 and NO3 results?

Adding fish never hurts if you feed them enough.

tkdman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
RU running UV?
Do you have an ID on the dinos?
PO4 and NO3 results?

Adding fish never hurts if you feed them enough.
not running uv wife said no more money for gadgets, the Dinos are the large cell that cling to the surface.
PO4 and NO3 are 0 and have been ever since i finished cycling the tank. Currently trying to raise them.

Last edited:

Ingenuity against algae: Do you use DIY methods for controlling nuisance algae?

• I have used DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 30 52.6%
  • I use commercial methods for controlling algae, but never DIY methods.

Votes: 12 21.1%
  • I have not used commercial or DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 12 21.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 5.3%
Back