Dinoflagellates – Are You Tired Of Battling Altogether?

Mattyreefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got home today after being away 6 days. Tank was pretty much on complete auto pilot. Tank looks as clear as it did immediately after 3 day blackout. Sand is pure white, no dinos to be seen. This was the first time I stopped dosing bacteria, phyto and silicate and things look really good.

Bad news is I have a few patches of bubble algae and bryopsis that seemed to pop up out of no where. One spot of bryopsis is really thick so I can see it getting out of control quickly of I don't get on top of it. Not going to test anything until tomorrow but I'm curious to see where N & P went.

Attachments

• 20210825_175949.jpg
    20210825_175949.jpg
    133.9 KB · Views: 68
  • 20210825_180005.jpg
    20210825_180005.jpg
    112.9 KB · Views: 70

Gildo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi! Someone can help me with ID and solution?

since two months, i've push up no3 at 50 ppm and po4 3.5, run a Little bit of ozone.
a few months ago I was 100% sure it was osteropsis, now after the treatment I wrote above, they seem much smaller to me the microscope is at 10x

thank you all.
p.s. uv never worked in my aquarium

Attachments

• VID_20210826_140953681.mp4
    28.5 MB

attiland

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi! Someone can help me with ID and solution?

since two months, i've push up no3 at 50 ppm and po4 3.5, run a Little bit of ozone.
a few months ago I was 100% sure it was osteropsis, now after the treatment I wrote above, they seem much smaller to me the microscope is at 10x

thank you all.
p.s. uv never worked in my aquarium
I don’t think you have to keep phosphates and nitrates that high. I guess not many corals are in there so you are going to be ok.
anyway I think you have Amphidinium. Silicates dosing works as a treatment.
there is tread dedicated for this type.

Also you can find my experience with them here

attiland

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That was my initial reaction as well, however, some users thought it was all prorocentrum. I added a UV yesterday and I could already see a difference.
Not sure after looking at it again but UV works for both as far as I know.
add activated carbon too

Reef and Dive

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cool, thanks. Should I turn off my calcium reactor then? Been keeping dkh @ 7.5.

Also, should I vacuum the Sandbed?

I understand you are keeping longer without corals: if that’s the case then yes you can turn the reactor off but keep testing (coralline, spirorbis etc consume more than we imagine).

Stirring the sandbed often is a good thing, not necessarily vacumming.

How’s the overal situation over there?

Biff0rz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I understand you are keeping longer without corals: if that’s the case then yes you can turn the reactor off but keep testing (coralline, spirorbis etc consume more than we imagine).

Stirring the sandbed often is a good thing, not necessarily vacumming.

How’s the overal situation over there?
Yea I have it turned down quite a bit now that the corals are dead but also want to keep coraline etc growing, I'll keep it where it's at since it's stable.

Ok I'll start stirring it more.

Slightly improved? Not all gha is gone/dead - some is still thriving on a few rocks. Some rocks are completely clean now which is nice, they are on one side of the tank (which is odd). The other side has more short gha (some looks dead, some alive). I took a toothbrush to it all today.

Dinos are still very present. I've been dosing mb7 each morning turning off uv and skimmer for 4hrs (per directions). I've been blowing off rocks almost daily, might have missed a few days. No3 and po4 have come down into acceptable ranges - 8 no3 / 0.12 po4

ggNoRe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea I have it turned down quite a bit now that the corals are dead but also want to keep coraline etc growing, I'll keep it where it's at since it's stable.

Ok I'll start stirring it more.

Slightly improved? Not all gha is gone/dead - some is still thriving on a few rocks. Some rocks are completely clean now which is nice, they are on one side of the tank (which is odd). The other side has more short gha (some looks dead, some alive). I took a toothbrush to it all today.

Dinos are still very present. I've been dosing mb7 each morning turning off uv and skimmer for 4hrs (per directions). I've been blowing off rocks almost daily, might have missed a few days. No3 and po4 have come down into acceptable ranges - 8 no3 / 0.12 po4
Keep on trucking! If I could beat them so can you.

taricha

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@taricha Has anyone tried introducing tunicates, salps, or krill to a dino infested tank?
Since our dinos are not planktonic, but benthic (sand/algae/surface associated) these organisms are not likely to help.
There are some ciliates that will eat dinos, and some tiny crustaceans that are seen munching the less toxic ones - but these are not usually cultured commercially.

moleindaground

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All, hoping to receive a positive Dino ID. Please see the updated video and images, summary and parameters below.

I have been battling for around 4.5 months now in my 15g reef. Lost around 70% of my corals and many inverts. I have tried raising water temp to 82 (currently around 79) without success, same with reducing the photo period to 8 hours. Did one course of DinoX which did not really help substantially. There was a green hair algae issue, with thick mats on the sand bed, but this has now been replaced by red cyano. I am doing manual removal with a filter sock 1-2 times a week which seems to be helping. Also, trying to avoid water changes, only do a small one (20%) every 4-6 weeks. Current parameters are below. Any guidance highly appreciated. Thanks!

ammonia 0
Nitrate 40
Phosphate .23
Alkalinity 6.1
Salinity 1.025

Attachments

• Video.MOV
    477.6 KB
  • image1.jpeg
    image1.jpeg
    52.5 KB · Views: 44
  • image0 (1).jpeg
    image0 (1).jpeg
    83.2 KB · Views: 47
  • 1630160809830.png
    1630160809830.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 44

Biff0rz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Keep on trucking! If I could beat them so can you.
Thanks! What method(s) did you use?

@Reef and Dive - should I dose mb7 daily until they go away? I ask because the mb7 instructions say to dose every other day after the first two weeks. Also, any thoughts on the elegant corals method? Was thinking maybe I should do that too?

RobinR87

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Attachments

• IMG_0645.JPEG
    IMG_0645.JPEG
    73.4 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_0646.PNG
    IMG_0646.PNG
    717.7 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_0647.JPEG
    IMG_0647.JPEG
    72.8 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_0649.PNG
    IMG_0649.PNG
    663.8 KB · Views: 49

Reef and Dive

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, any thoughts on the elegant corals method? Was thinking maybe I should do that too?

Yes. Done before. Works for amphidinium not for Ostreopsis. It is pretty radical.

I believe there’s no method that will totally wipe out dinos… So when they are not anymore in plague proportions just keep the good management…

MB7? Just often, not every day…

Hi, can someone ID these for me please?

I THINK it's prorocentrum. Tank is a cube 20. https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/w...ome-journey-and-effort-for-redemption.855559/ = Build thread.

Not sure how to tackle this.

Prorocentrum to me… it seems the flagella arise from a single flagelar pole, with symmetrical morphology and a very marked pyrenoid. @taricha agree?

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 47 75.8%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 6 9.7%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 5 8.1%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 3.2%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 3.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back