Dinoflagellates – Are You Tired Of Battling Altogether?

Tritie

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They're dinos. Read my above post, digest it and it will work.

Read below for further information.

@Paullawr I have coolia and have been running UV (DT to DT) since 1st week of January and can't get ride of them. My system is 65 gallons, UV is 25 watts, flow is 2x the system volume. I manage to knock them way back after pulling my sand bed and doing a 3 day black out with Dr. Tims products, but they have been back for 3 weeks now and I'm at a loss for what to do. I dose phos up to 0.1ppm and nitrates are about 30ppm. How long are the short blackouts you mention in your article? What else can I do?

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've also posted this in the Dino ID thread, but thought adding it here could be helpful for me and maybe others

@thedon986 has suggested large cell amphidinium or prorocentrum.

I know dinos generally come from low nutrients, which hasn't been my experience. I've been dealing with consistently high nitrate and phos over the last few months, which rose slowly to around 50ppm nitrate and 0.1+ phos. I've been carbon dosing (vinegar) to address it. Last night phos was 0.08 and nitrate was 25.1, so I've reduced the vinegar from 75ml to 60ml today (125g tank, and it took a long time to get the dosing high enough to reduce nitrate).

I've been finding dead snails which initially made me think ostreo but I'm definitely not convinced by the microscope images.

Those are large cell amphids.

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seems like I am also part of the dino club.
6month old dry rock tank
Anyone that can confirm my ID as I think I spotted 2 species in my tank Ostreopsis & Large Cell Amphidinium

Would appreciate confirmation of my ID - Thx
The first is ostreos. The second video I have less conviction with, but believe they are prorocentrum.

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Paullawr I have coolia and have been running UV (DT to DT) since 1st week of January and can't get ride of them. My system is 65 gallons, UV is 25 watts, flow is 2x the system volume. I manage to knock them way back after pulling my sand bed and doing a 3 day black out with Dr. Tims products, but they have been back for 3 weeks now and I'm at a loss for what to do. I dose phos up to 0.1ppm and nitrates are about 30ppm. How long are the short blackouts you mention in your article? What else can I do?
Are you reasonably certain the UV bulb is good? Hasn't been overheated (example:lamp running with pump off?) or anything, correct?

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you! So I'm looking at silicate dosing? And a black out?
Good news and bad. Good news is they are not toxic and really don't cause issues besides dirty looking sand. Bad news is they are rather difficult to solve for and remove. Yes to silicate dosing. This feeds diatoms that will compete as a surface competitor.

Blackouts aren't really effective for LCA.

adam567890

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all,

I'm wondering if anyone can help me ID these dinos by swim pattern or appearance. I think they are either large or small cell Amphidinium or Ostreopsis. The dinos are isolated mostly to the sanded and corners of glass, virtually none on my rock. Hoping it's small cell or Ostreopsis because I just invested in a sterilizer. The higher magnification on my scope isn't great, I'm working on getting clearer images later this week if need be.

lmfbs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good news and bad. Good news is they are not toxic and really don't cause issues besides dirty looking sand. Bad news is they are rather difficult to solve for and remove. Yes to silicate dosing. This feeds diatoms that will compete as a surface competitor.

Blackouts aren't really effective for LCA.
I also asked this on the chemistry forum, but any idea whether this waterglass is suitable, and what dosage? https://www.ecplabchem.co.nz/sodium-silicate-39-solution-1l-1436650

Many of the other options I've seen are 40 or 41% - this is 39% so not sure how it impacts the dosing given the tiny amount needed.

The water volume is around 420l.

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Ziggy17

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also asked this on the chemistry forum, but any idea whether this waterglass is suitable, and what dosage? https://www.ecplabchem.co.nz/sodium-silicate-39-solution-1l-1436650

Many of the other options I've seen are 40 or 41% - this is 39% so not sure how it impacts the dosing given the tiny amount needed.

The water volume is around 420l.
Mix 2cc with about 250ml of fresh RODI water daily. Don’t put the Si directly in the tank. Mix it up first then put it in the return chamber. That should get the diatom bloom going. Then keep dosing until you only see 1 or 2 Dinos on a full microscope slide.

thedon986

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Depends on the size of your aquarium. I wouldn’t dose 2ml of 40% water glass in a 10g aquarium daily. I have been doing about 2ml in my 90g water volume daily for the past two weeks and have a real good diatoms bloom going on. Brown dust on the sand and back wall.

Ziggy17

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depends on the size of your aquarium. I wouldn’t dose 2ml of 40% water glass in a 10g aquarium daily. I have been doing about 2ml in my 90g water volume daily for the past two weeks and have a real good diatoms bloom going on. Brown dust on the sand and back wall.
He said his tank’s total volume is 410l.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 7.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 88 57.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.1%
Back