Dinoflagellates – Are You Tired Of Battling Altogether?

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I did nothing. No water changes, no dosing of any kind. Just fed fish twice a day. I let the tank ride.
I wouldn't recommend this for most people though. The process of testing, dosing and watching everything is super valuable.

I really think the live rock you added may have been more valuable than you/we think. It would be interesting to get a tank filled with dinos and then add live rock and see how it does

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't recommend this for most people though. The process of testing, dosing and watching everything is super valuable.

I really think the live rock you added may have been more valuable than you/we think. It would be interesting to get a tank filled with dinos and then add live rock and see how it does
I agree. Testing, dosing, and watching made me give up lol The live rock may have helped but I think letting the tank fester and sort of correct itself with time helped a lot more.

techhnyne

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
well i just came out of a 3 day black out period and my nitrates were so high i already see a green algae taking over the tank where the dinos were and no sign on dinos so thats a good thing in my eyes, now ill get some guys to clean up

xilez

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Currently dealing with dinos as well. Covering most of my rocks, and continues to pop up daily on sandbed and corals/frag plugs. UV is not a option with my system. Should I also being to dose Seachem Phos? If so, how long should I dose for before I can expect a change - 2 weeks?

Worth mentioning my skimmer pulls some nasty stuff after a day or so, and my floss turns from white to poop brown in less than two days,

My only filtration is a skimmer, and some floss, have some chaeto as well but doesnt get much growth...should I also be running something Chemipure Blue or Elite in a small amount?

Also, could there be any benefits to dosing something like Microbacter 7 or Bio Spira? What about micro bubbling?

Thanks!

Last edited:

ccbobafett

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is this Dino
520079e112fe93644865f5bd2bd2fc7e.jpg
16d6721c62ad1ad6c58f6e0b1fd188f5.jpg

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Currently dealing with dinos as well. Covering most of my rocks, and continues to pop up daily on sandbed and corals/frag plugs. UV is not a option with my system. Should I also being to dose Seachem Phos? If so, how long should I dose for before I can expect a change - 2 weeks?

Worth mentioning my skimmer pulls some nasty stuff after a day or so, and my floss turns from white to poop brown in less than two days,

My only filtration is a skimmer, and some floss, have some chaeto as well but doesnt get much growth...should I also be running something Chemipure Blue or Elite in a small amount?

Also, could there be any benefits to dosing something like Microbacter 7 or Bio Spira? What about micro bubbling?

Thanks!
Do you have a microscope to ID what strain you are actually dealing with?

How old is the tank? What are the nitrate and phosphate readings currently? What rock did you set it up with?

Why is UV not an option?

Don't dose what you can't test for. That's just playing Russian roulette.

You need to add diversity to your tank. A scoop of live sand from an established tank. Some super mature live rock that is covered in coraline and sponges.

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you believe you have Dino than activiated carbon would help with possible release of toxins.

To be able to tell if you need No3 or po4 we need to know your numbers.

sfin52

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@rtparty you are correct micro diversity is needed. Let's see his numbers and start from there. I added diversity after i knew my po4 numbers were on the rise.

@ccbobafett read first page great info to start with. It references different pages as well. Be sure to read the end game as well.

Last edited:

ccbobafett

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so my nitrates last check were around 0 to 5 range. My phosphates are at 0.4. Some information to help Id it before pictures. It is green and I guess stringy in some spots. Grows on sand bed mainly and some spots on rock. I am not sure if it is cyano or Dino. I did have cyano issues in the past with higher phosphates from tap water but corrected it with phosguard and rodi unit. Oh and tank is almost 15 years established but I recently added a lot of live rock and fish so is changing. That’s all I can of now before I can get pictures tommorow. Thanks for help.

sfin52

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Id with microscope is a must. Amazon toyrus or hobby lobby all have cheap scopes.

sfin52

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@ccbobafett there is a link on the first page. How to id without microscope. Id of spacific Dino will give treatment plan

Last edited:

ccbobafett

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok I will also look into that. But first should I make sure it’s Dino’s? Thanks

will also read article on first page thanks for help.

ccbobafett

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok well tried to take pictures again with no blue lights. My camera is not very good I just use my phone.
30d1d350cfcb4c8969a40b78a6693ae1.jpg
2d44f95370a94729989868e52cb3daa7.jpg
69629bcb19cc3ee00ba4c5dbffdd7dea.jpg

Well that’s the best I can do I know they are blurry but will also give description. It looks like cyano but stringy looking. It is a green color and grows pretty quickly on sand. That’s also where it started. Thanks

ccbobafett

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I am trying to hard to get a good price of algae to use but will post info on it when I finally find a price I can use. Thanks

tenurepro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All, well I am very happy to say that I am nearly dino-free. I was considering shutting down and restarting two weeks ago but the tank has been progressing so nicely. Not only did the higher nutrients (in combination with uv and sand bed removal) really cut down on the dino bloom, my sps have never looked better.

I decided to do a little YouTube video, to share my experiences, and also to summarize much of what I learned about dinos over the last month and a half. There is a big shoutout and link to this thread in the video! Thanks so much to the contributors and @mcarrol for starting this thread

sfin52

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All, well I am very happy to say that I am nearly dino-free. I was considering shutting down and restarting two weeks ago but the tank has been progressing so nicely. Not only did the higher nutrients (in combination with uv and sand bed removal) really cut down on the dino bloom, my sps have never looked better.

I decided to do a little YouTube video, to share my experiences, and also to summarize much of what I learned about dinos over the last month and a half. There is a big shoutout and link to this thread in the video! Thanks so much to the contributors and @mcarrol for starting this[/QUOTE

Well done sir well done. Way to stick it out. See gha in your tank was awesome. And the pod population is thick. I seen them all over the place

Last edited:
Back