Dinoflagellates – Are You Tired Of Battling Altogether?

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Alright, time for another ID if you guys can. This is the new brown stuff growing on my sand. No air bubbles, no super fast spreading, photosynthetic, and it does not get stringy. I don't have a picture of the patch in question, just the microscope pics and videos.

Part 3

Part 4

Part 5

4b72df49cd4c580715a3b824498d2d05.jpg

630f80cb90798fcade71841091df0df4.jpg

fe142b6ccf7896075ee0a8d005e530d2.jpg

6fdba72cfce480dc7c4c7908a66fd7c8.jpg

dc43807b80f1a64059bc52efd01c236d.jpg

a9f3b2470b49b5b86ab6992519d7fbde.jpg

OP
OP
mcarroll

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That looks like a mishmash (not a bad thing!)....probalbly some dino's (can't tell you which kind tho), but some worms (maybe nematodes?) and other stuff too.

Remind me what you're currently doing for NO3 and PO4 levels?

taricha

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is the new brown stuff growing on my sand. No air bubbles, no super fast spreading, photosynthetic, and it does not get stringy. I don't have a picture of the patch in question, just the microscope pics and videos.

Based on that description and the movement in the video, I think it's Large Cell Amphidinium dinos. And the red guys are a ciliate (good).

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
That looks like a mishmash (not a bad thing!)....probalbly some dino's (can't tell you which kind tho), but some worms (maybe nematodes?) and other stuff too.

Remind me what you're currently doing for NO3 and PO4 levels?
Last test had N around 12 and P at .04. I'm dosing stump Remover and Seachem Phosphorus for those. Hair algae is starting to spread on the rocks faster than I'd like. I increased my CUC about 2 weeks ago. An urchin might be my next addition. They have helped me with hair algae in the past.
Based on that description and the movement in the video, I think it's Large Cell Amphidinium dinos. And the red guys are a ciliate (good).
After some research, you've nailed it. I found your other posts regarding them and watched some videos. Looks like I need to up my P dosing and feed a little less. Problem with feeding less is my Midas blenny is turning into a complete jerk and feeding more is the only thing to have calmed him down a little.

I will say I've been lucky that my pod population has been good to great the whole time. Once the lights are out, they are all over the sand. I'm talking hundreds of them all over the place. Sand and rock are crawling with them. The area that gets the Dino patch had at least 20 of them scurrying around just a minute ago.

I would get a fuge going with chaeto but my setup limits me. I am not a huge fan of macro in my display and my sump has no spot for chaeto unless I remove the skimmer. I'd love a new sump but tank money went towards an ATO with the Black Friday deals...

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would get a fuge going with chaeto but my setup limits me. I am not a huge fan of macro in my display and my sump has no spot for chaeto unless I remove the skimmer. I'd love a new sump but tank money went towards an ATO with the Black Friday deals...
If you can fit a small return pump in the sump, you could possibly do a HOB DIY cheato reactor.

terriblesarcasm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys,

Unfortunately it sounds like I might be dealing with dinos. I've attached two pictures for help in IDing them.

Let me know any other information I can give that will help.

(I read about the microscope and I will look into that as well but for sale of time and quickness especially due to the holiday hopefully this is a straightforward ID.)

Thanks!
2ae0de1708f50cc88a8e26efcacc933f.jpg
8f240f98fdf3ddaa016a83c1bb150304.jpg
2de102ba432ca046ba798e5d7354e14e.jpg
08e0a24db47e1b1050eae3c32914c56a.jpg
@mcaroll

What would be your recommendation for me? I posted another post describing a little more as to what I've got in my setup.

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
If you can fit a small return pump in the sump, you could possibly do a HOB DIY cheato reactor.
I'm thinking about plumbing the UV sterilizer to a chaeto reactor. It would be pretty easy to plumb it in at this point. Sterilizer would be first of course so I don't fry any beneficial critters

Scubabum

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I posted a while back about my Dino problem. I raised my Nitrate and Phosphate to 10ppm NO3 and .10 NO4 and my Dino's went away. I slowly let my nutrients fall back to lower levels 2ppm and .03 and my Dino has re appeared. This time it's a little different. This time it's strictly on the sand bed. I have the $10 cheap microscope and will include a picture. Need ID to positively ID if this is Dino returning. Sorry the picture is so blurry but its the Best I can do with this toy microscope. If it's confirmed to be Dino returning I guess its back to dosing. While trying to raise my nutrients back up should I discontinue skimming and turn off my Algae Turf Scrubber?? Thanks in advance.

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I posted a while back about my Dino problem. I raised my Nitrate and Phosphate to 10ppm NO3 and .10 NO4 and my Dino's went away. I slowly let my nutrients fall back to lower levels 2ppm and .03 and my Dino has re appeared. This time it's a little different. This time it's strictly on the sand bed. I have the $10 cheap microscope and will include a picture. Need ID to positively ID if this is Dino returning. Sorry the picture is so blurry but its the Best I can do with this toy microscope. If it's confirmed to be Dino returning I guess its back to dosing. While trying to raise my nutrients back up should I discontinue skimming and turn off my Algae Turf Scrubber?? Thanks in advance.

If you read up about 10 comments or so, you're probably dealing with the same thing I am. My pics aren't nearly that good as there is a lot of other stuff mixed in. One of the pictures shows something pretty similar to yours.

Scubabum

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you read up about 10 comments or so, you're probably dealing with the same thing I am. My pics aren't nearly that good as there is a lot of other stuff mixed in. One of the pictures shows something pretty similar to yours.
Hey rtparty. I saw those pics with all the stuff mixed in and saw a few things that look like mine. I started dosing Nitrate and Phosphate again and have a UV on the way. Good luck with your battle.

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hey rtparty. I saw those pics with all the stuff mixed in and saw a few things that look like mine. I started dosing Nitrate and Phosphate again and have a UV on the way. Good luck with your battle.
If you've got the same thing as me, UV sadly won't do anything but it's still beneficial for other reasons IMO. UV knocked out my Ostreopsis though. It looks like elevated phosphate helps with this stuff.

terriblesarcasm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is the recommended UV sterilizer for a 50-65 gallon setup? The ones I saw were upwards of $300 x_x

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Any recommendations for brand?
I went with Jebao to stay as cheap as possible. Wanted to make sure UV would work for me. It definitely worked to kill off the Ostreopsis.

I can't recommend it to be honest. Terrible quality overall. The Turbo Twist would have been a better choice IMO and what I may switch to at some point. My dad ran a FW planted tank years ago and he used a Turbo Twist sterilizer that worked like a charm. This Jebao was within an inch of going in the garbage because I couldn't get the connections to stop leaking. It took teflon tape and silicone to stop the one. The other still leaks but it goes directly into the sump and isn't an issue so I left it alone. Don't feel like tearing it all apart, cleaning silicone off everything and redoing everything.

OP
OP
mcarroll

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@terriblesarcasm have you already gotten through the part of the first post I've quoted below?

If you don't have a scope yet, then at least do the test in the first part to have a good idea that it's really dino's. There are other microbes that "bloom snotty" like that and the test is pretty easy. ;)

Getting a more solid ID on which dino is a good idea before unloading anything $$ on a UV sterilizer or diatom filter, etc. Not all dino's go into the water column where the UV can get em.

• Confirming the ID of your dinoflagellate is important if possible.
    • To begin with, make sure you have Dinos
    • Use @taricha's dino confirmation guide on posts #986-987.
  • Once you know it's dino's you should ideally figure out what type(s) your tank is hosting.
    • Specifically for Ostreopsis, consider skipping ahead to post #86 and #905 as the information is still developing.
    • Compare your dino's with photos where @taricha's has already made ID's:
      (Click the link. Then click the SEARCH button at the bottom of the search page.)
  • After you get started, What is the End Game?

terriblesarcasm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@terriblesarcasm have you already gotten through the part of the first post I've quoted below?

If you don't have a scope yet, then at least do the test in the first part to have a good idea that it's really dino's. There are other microbes that "bloom snotty" like that and the test is pretty easy. ;)

Getting a more solid ID on which dino is a good idea before unloading anything $$ on a UV sterilizer or diatom filter, etc. Not all dino's go into the water column where the UV can get em.
That's a good point, I was just trying to calculate a possible hit to my wallet if it were necessary. I just order a microscope on Amazon, it will be here Monday.

Are any of these other microorganisms outlooks any better than dinos? Or am I screwed either way?

Also it seems like whatever outbreak I do have does not seem to be accelerating quite as out of control as some of the other people in the thread have stated, so that's good at least.

OP
OP
mcarroll

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are any of these other microorganisms outlooks any better than dinos? Or am I screwed either way?

Almost surely NOT screwed in any event. Try to relax until the scope gets here. :) :)

Maybe run the scope-free dino test linked on post 986 while you wait? :)

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 21.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 73 34.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 70 33.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back