Dinoflagellates – Are You Tired Of Battling Altogether?

Bret Brinkmann

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Success is all in how you define the goal. Modern technology is just one more tool at your disposal but you need to have the knowledge to use it correctly and at the appropriate time or you will make things worse.

Bret Brinkmann

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can use a 10 micron sock to do water changes. Siphon water through the sock and put the water back in the tank.

Looking for these now. Does anyone have a good source for these? I found some on filterbag.com but the minimum order quantity and shipping are going to bring the cost up to $88 roughly. Searched the well known equipment stores like BSR but they don't have 10 microns. Only go down to 100. Maybe a mention on the first post for those that want to filter with a sock?

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
amazon and if you have prime no shipping cost. That’s were I go for salt and other supplies.

OP
OP
mcarroll

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking for these now. Does anyone have a good source for these? I found some on filterbag.com but the minimum order quantity and shipping are going to bring the cost up to $88 roughly. Searched the well known equipment stores like BSR but they don't have 10 microns. Only go down to 100. Maybe a mention on the first post for those that want to filter with a sock?

Something else to consider that could be easier, although not really the same thing, is Marineland’s water polishing filter. It is a micron filter that can also use diatom powder with if you want.

They are cheap so you could even deploy more than one. I think they may be slightly more flexible to use than a filter sock too since there is a pump installed.

:)

lesbrers

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I found some on Marine Depot.

https://www.marinedepot.com/AquaMax...ilter_Media-AquaMaxx-UJ10133-FIFMMEFS-vi.html

Last edited:

lesbrers

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So just a quick update, with the help of many on this thread, the dino problem is getting better. I still have dino, but the amount has reduced drastically. I have been dosing nitrates and phosphates and siphoning out the dino with a 10 micron filter bag and then placing the water back into the tank. Now with the dosing it seems I have accidentally overshot my targets. My nitrates are ~15 ppm and phosphates are around 0.24 ppm (using a Hanna ULR phosphorus reader and got 80 ppb). Interestingly enough, I have not manually dosed anything in several days yet the levels continue to rise. I'm not too concerned about the nitrates, but the phosphates seems quite high and some coral are looking unhappy now with poor polyp extension and not fully opening up. Should I just stop dosing and ride it out, or look into some methods for bringing down the phosphate a touch? Thoughts?

sfin52

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I whould say a water change but that could fuel the Dino. Maybe some macro algea to bring it down. Either way watch closely gfo and other po4 remover may crash the number and macro may take it down to slowly.

Anybody else have thoughts.

lesbrers

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, I've been avoiding water changes since my dino issue started. Think I also saw somewhere that it can make the problem worse. Haven't done a water change in almost 2 months.

sfin52

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Saves on salt;) I did the same thing. I threw some Dr Tim’s refresh and film algea in from another tank I have. I also added 4lbs of lr as the Dino started fading.

K. Steven

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Marc Levenson sells them on his site.

http://www.melevsreef.com/product/filter-sock-10-microns

taricha

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Should I just stop dosing and ride it out, or look into some methods for bringing down the phosphate a touch? Thoughts?

How's algae growth? Fuge, scrubber, tank etc?
If it's good growth, then do nothing and ride it out.
If nothing noticeable, then you need a water change to start growing healthy stuff.

lesbrers

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How's algae growth? Fuge, scrubber, tank etc?
If it's good growth, then do nothing and ride it out.
If nothing noticeable, then you need a water change to start growing healthy stuff.

There's quite a bit of fuzzy looking algae on the back walls. No real appreciable algae growth on the rocks. I was running a fuge up until a few days ago. My entire sump was over-run with all sorts hair algae. It was even growing inside my skimmer and reactor. It was starting to turn into a jungle. All this stuff was outcompeting the macro it seems, as the chaeto was barely growing. It ended up causing the sump to smell quite bad and the wife started to complain so I had to clean all that out. I've had my fuge light off since, and I salvaged what remaining chaeto there was and stuck it into my display. Maybe now with no fuge there will be more algae growth in the display.

BigJohnny

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone else seen the article on algaebarn.com about dosing phyo to eradicate dino?
didn't work for me. I tried that 2 years ago. Added a ton of pods and then live phyto daily. No changes after about a month so I reduced photoperiod and then dosed MB7 and kz coral snow daily. Gone in a few weeks. This was before people recommended adding nutrients to fight dino, and I was lucky enough to have a variety that was eliminated with that method.

The new fish on the block

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
didn't work for me. I tried that 2 years ago. Added a ton of pods and then live phyto daily. No changes after about a month so I reduced photoperiod and then dosed MB7 and kz coral snow daily. Gone in a few weeks. This was before people recommended adding nutrients to fight dino, and I was lucky enough to have a variety that was eliminated with that method.
what variety did you have?

tsav87

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dosed phyto from algae barn, along with some pods, during my bloom and they where KOed.

Albeit, I also raised my PO4 from 0 to about 0.08ppm and did a 3 day lights out.

Point being, the phyto did not fuel the dinos, in my tank anyway.

OP
OP
mcarroll

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone else see this hotlink to a plus-size garment store for women in post #1916?

Screen Shot 2018-01-03 at 4.19.57 PM.png

:D :D

Screen Shot 2018-01-03 at 4.21.00 PM.png

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 21.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 74 34.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 71 33.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 20 9.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%

Back