Dinoflagellates my experience......h2o2 reefing tool!!!!!

skinz78

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried to read through this whole thread and only got to page 11.. I recently had Dino's and I'm happy to report after 8 days of dosing they are all gone. The sad thing is I lost a few Chalice's from them before I realized what was going on.

Knox_Legend

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This a good read. I am going to start this up on my tank today and try and strike these dinos out before they get bad!

projectx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just started dosing on Sunday after reading most of the way through this.

Ill let you know how it works out

Thanks to all who started testing and reporting back positive results

Knox_Legend

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So far I have been dosing since Sunday evening and am on my 2nd day of lights out. Monday I dosed in the morning and then ran the lights for 4 hours and it seemed that there were less dinos on the rocks than there were before and the sand bed seemed to be clearing up a bit. I'm waiting to see the results after the 3rd day of lights out.

rocride

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm at 8 days at 1ml per 10g and I am amazed,for the last three days I blacked out the tank twice for 20 hrs and once for 24 and today when I pulled the covers I couldn't believe it,I have my tank back or the fish have their home back!! ...it was a complete mess 8 days ago.The Anemone is open whch he hasn't been for weeks,the Tangs are grazing,the blenny has his marble sized belly back,he was paper thin since I think the fish didn't graze when eveything was covered in Dinos.I've never been so happy to see GSP opening up.....

FWIW when this all started I thought I was dealing with Diatoms,I intially had some cyno and within 24hrs the cyno was gone and I had "diatoms" ...I figured to just let it exhaust itself and I waited and waited...and waited,prbly 2 months later my tank was sick,it was horrible...nothing was opening,the fish seemed "off" and the was a white haze in my tank similar to after dosing CS...all my numbers were good phos was .05 nitrates less than 5...checked for silicates less than 2 ....the silicate test got me on my toes,ran some phos guard,no changes and then boom...i snapped,DINOS!!....so on begins the searching and here I am,I was pretty nervous the first few days of dosing H2O2 and used the anemone has my reference.I also dosed 1200mls of Mag since it loves that stuff to bring my level up to about 1500 ish

So thanks to the op and everyone for contributing their experiences,it helped me with an ugly situation.I'm going to dose three more days and prbly run 20 hrs per day of tank blackout and decide on Friday if I can get back into the normal cycle.

Cheers

Anyone running a maintenance dose with H2O2?

Last edited:

Rickyrooz

Acropora Nut
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have recently been battling dinoflagellates in my 120. I am running 500mL of Two Little Fishes NPX Biopellets but I am not dosing a bacteria product. I reduced my photo-period to 5 hours for the metal halides and 7 hours for the T5's. My skimmer has overflowed three times in the past two weeks which dumped nutrients back into the display. I am currently testing the new Vertex Generation 3 skimmer pump on my skimmer instead of the Bubble Blaster 3000, so far the skimmate production is much more stable and is almost twice as much! Surprising for a $70 Vertex pump vs. a $205 Bubble Blaster pump. I covered the tank and turned the lights off for three days and once the lights came back on any algae and dinoflagellates on the rocks were gone! Now, four days later they are slowly coming back. I am now topping my tank off with kalkwasser to bump the pH up and I am giving H2O2 a try. I am going to dose 0.5mL of hydrogen peroxide per 10 gallons of tank water the first two days then bump up the dose to 1mL per 10 gallons. I am hoping this will knock out the dino's within a week. Just to make sure my top off water wasn't adding nutrients to my tank I decided to test it. My tap water has a TDS of 238ppm while my RO water is coming out at 2ppm and my DI is 0ppm. I tested the tank water and the PO4 is 0.05ppm (Hanna checker) but I there is a thread on Reef2Reef about how even the Hanna checker values are flawed. My fresh RO water tested at 0.04ppm! I would have thought that the RO/DI unit would take out phosphates but I guess not.

projectx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After dosing for close to a week with no change, I found that my peroxide was plain water, so a trip to the store and 1ml per 10gal I am starting over. I hope to report good results in a few weeks.

clowndude

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After dosing for close to a week with no change, I found that my peroxide was plain water, so a trip to the store and 1ml per 10gal I am starting over. I hope to report good results in a few weeks.
How did you determine that your peroxide is plain water?

clowndude

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I began my battle today with Dino. Was sick of looking at it and something had to be done. I went a little crazy on the dosing at 30 mL for my 100 gallon. Yes I know it's overboard but I'm tired of looking at this stuff. Hopefully within a week or two the dino will be gone. Good luck to everybody fighting the battle.

Last edited:

Rickyrooz

Acropora Nut
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm on day 3 and haven't noticed any change or decrease in algae on the glass, should I take out my ROX 0.8 carbon? Won't the carbon absorb the H202?

AcroholicReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Grab a pair of pliers and yank your front tooth out then swish with it and see if you get a fizz haha.... Just playing..:tongue: lol

Yeah, don't do it. It is a big mistake.

images.jpg

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 42.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 25 20.2%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 42 33.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back