Dinoflagellates my experience......h2o2 reefing tool!!!!!

wyattray

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know its really hard, with my phone, they seem darker in real life.

Paullawr

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If moving circular probably are just not able to Id from photo.

What's your treatment plan?

JerseyReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know its really hard, with my phone, they seem darker in real life.

The ones I'm used to look a bit like a popcorn kernel. There's a dino identification link somewhere in this forum but I can't find it now.

Good luck treating them. Peroxide only works on certain strains, so identifying which one you have is worth it. I had osteoporosis which is tough. I got it under control only to be replaced with a smaller, harder to identify strain. But the other algae took over and my tank is actually very clean now. I have to clean my glass more often but I'll take. I'm going to start replenishing my cuc because I lost a lot of snails and cleaner shrimp through this whole mess. Hope that gets me back to a good place.

becks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've dosed three times dino x and tomorrow will by my fourth and it seems like my dinos are shrinking.

Lostepitoke

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
aaaaaaarrrrrrr just wanted to share my recent battle and how i won!!!!!!!!!
"i wish i took pics but i didn't..:("
so about 3 weeks ago my tank broke out pretty bad i mean bad!!!!!! my coast to coast overflow would get plugged and almost overflow my tank..... so i did my research and found numerous methods and even asked advice from top dogs like sunnyx and Mark Poletti who both recommended light's out for 3 days and raise my ph...so i tried this on 3 different occasions no luck!!!!:( getting ready to put a hammer through my tank i kept on looking for more info and trying to figure out why it happened.... it could have been one of 3 things...
#1 microbacter 7 od.
#2 vodka od.
#3 my ro membrane.....
im really leaning towards number 3 since i just replaced my membrane like 2 weeks before this happened.... i have a kent hi-s unit and the membrane was like 115$ to replace..arrrr so i searched around and found air water ice sold cheap ones for like 35$... keep in mind i have the hi-s meaning silicate removal.... i bought el cheapo membrane that didn't have the silicate removal or what ever the kent has."dino's love silicates".. then my problems arose... so after trying numerous things and never found anything that would kill the suckers off, i talked to a local biologist in my local club...."he recommends hydrogen peroxide 1ml per 10gallons of water daily" so i give that a shot "scared" i have a full blown sps reef, i dose .5ml per gallon on the first day... day 2 no change, so i do the recommended dose and wake up day 3 and the tank looks better.... after 5 days of dosing h202 my tank is clean again "yeah!!!!!!" i went ahead and dosed it for 7 days to make sure they don't come back lol.... i must say since adding the h202 over 9 days ago i have not had to wipe the glass once it stills sparkles!!!!! hmmmmmm got me wandering if i should dose a couple ml per day for ever lol..... thought's anyone????
Are you sure you had dinos? I battled with them for months until I read an article about raising the ph high as possible without killing NY fish and corals. The increase in ph in the water messes with thier internal ph and they die as a result. Mine cleared in less than two weeks. I tried peroxide but it didn't work. Now there is different strains of Dino and what might work for one kind may not affect another. It's very easy to confuse with cyno

Ashish Patel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank is current in infancy stages and so far I just have my Chaeto growing like weeds. I am trying to prevent dino's from ever taking hold so hopefully starting of with a Fuge and soon to add UV will be my ounce of prevention.

It would be interesting to note if anyone else has experienced Dino's after running a system with dry rock, refugium, and UV. From my observation these thing are recommended to cure an already existing outbreak.

becks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank is current in infancy stages and so far I just have my Chaeto growing like weeds. I am trying to prevent dino's from ever taking hold so hopefully starting of with a Fuge and soon to add UV will be my ounce of prevention.

It would be interesting to note if anyone else has experienced Dino's after running a system with dry rock, refugium, and UV. From my observation these thing are recommended to cure an already existing outbreak.

I started with dry rock I also ran UV for quite some time and dinos still appeared, allowing my tank to get dirty has really knocked my dinos for six. Im going to syphon the sand bed and clean the glass on sunday, then next week I think I will do a water change and see what happens.

Ashish Patel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Ashish Patel it's the starved tanks.....stay away from carbon dosing and GFO.

Yeah, I am definitely going to avoid GFO or carbon dosing.. This would require more time then I am willing to invest. I've never had an issue maintaining low Phosphates and nitrates and don't overcrowding so it should not be an issue.

Ashish Patel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started with dry rock I also ran UV for quite some time and dinos still appeared, allowing my tank to get dirty has really knocked my dinos for six. Im going to syphon the sand bed and clean the glass on sunday, then next week I think I will do a water change and see what happens.

Bummer! Do you use GFO or have a refugium?

bevo5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Here's a question.

I had a minor dino issue on my sand bed. Just little patches of a dusty brown. Well, at least they sure looked like dinos under the scope. Anyway.

Due to some other issues I decided to tear the tank down and switch it a cichlid tank. I dropped a few cups of bleach in first (which didn't kill all the dinos, BTW). Then I drained and removed all the sand I could get - filled with freshwater, drained and filled again.

Well - yesterday I saw a little brown on some sand. Not nearly as dark as the dinos, but still - I don't like that.

So question - is it possible for marine dinos to live in freshwater? Everything I've found says a freshwater dip will kill them...but I figured I'd just ask the experts.

bevo5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I will see again in a few days. Since the tank is just cycling I decided to black it all out and just leave it be in darkness for a week or so. Figured no harm in trying!

I just can't imagine that the freshwater didn't kill it all....and there's absolutely no nutrients in the tank. But something was on the sand....

IvanW

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have read through quite lot of this thread. I have an outbreak of Dino's covering the sand bed and on the rocks.The tank has been up and running for exactly one year. I check parameters regularly,Phosphates fluctuate between 0.03 and 0.04 ,nitrates are about 10,Magnesium has been a little low but I have been bumping it up.I recently started doing continuous water changes,changing out 5 gallons a day. I decided at first to see if it would clear up on its own as I am firm believer that the tanks go through cycles on a fairly regular basis and as long as it does not get out of control all would be fine. Then I found this thread. I have been dosing Hydrogen Peroxide since last Thursday and am not sure it is really doing anything. Its kind of difficult to decide if it is getting better or not as the change is not drastic. I stopped doing water changes while I am trying to clear the pest. I have blown off the rocks on a regular basis as I don't want it to take a hold on the corals. I will give it a few more days and then re assess. On my previous tank I had an extremely bad outbreak, I eventually added Dr Tim's bacteria and it cleared up, so that will be the next move, unless someone comes up with a different idea.

reefguyty

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am fighting dinos in one of my tanks and I'm definitely going to read through this thread. It took me awhile to figure out they were dinos and slowly killing some of my corals. Currently I'm trying to ruin their day by blasting them with a turkey baster / tooth brush and dosing nitrates.

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am fighting dinos in one of my tanks and I'm definitely going to read through this thread. It took me awhile to figure out they were dinos and slowly killing some of my corals. Currently I'm trying to ruin their day by blasting them with a turkey baster / tooth brush and dosing nitrates.

Instead try here: Dinoflagellates – Are You Tired Of Battling Altogether?

Click over, read at least post #1 and post a tank pic along with some history. Post microscope pics of you have em. And post a complete set of test results too! :)

Tro

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How fast are you adding the h202? 1 drip/sec?

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 17.3%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 28 16.2%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.5%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 75 43.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.6%
Back