Dinos Exploding in Reef Tank

GucciKingXII

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone! I am looking for some help to eliminate or at least cut back the Dino problem in my tank. A little background, I have a 15 gallon nano reef that is around 8 months old. I am running an AI prime as the light, no skimmer, and a fluvial UV sterilizer in line with a Oaze 30 gallon canister filter. I had a lot of issues identifying the algae as Dinos until I put them under the scope. My LFS seems very dumb and told me they were cyanos, so I travelled about an hour to the nearest coral store I could trust, and they immediately identified them as Dinos. I will attach the scope pictures in this forum if anyone can identify exactly what kind they are that would be great! I tested my water parameters and found my nitrates and phosphates were at 0! I then dosed 20mL of nitrates, and 6 drops of phosphates and the day after dosed 10mL and 2 drops. Then proceeded to get my water tested and found my phosphates were then zero again already and nitrates were at 15.

Also, I have been blasting them off the rocks with a turkey baster thing I use to feed my acans. I'm not sure if this is a good approach at all, but it seems to be forcing the Dinos into my UV which based on what I know about UV seems like a good idea.

Please let me know what you guys think I feel pretty hopeless at the moment on my journey to kill the Dinos :(

IMG_5905.jpg IMG_5906.jpg

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone! I am looking for some help to eliminate or at least cut back the Dino problem in my tank. A little background, I have a 15 gallon nano reef that is around 8 months old. I am running an AI prime as the light, no skimmer, and a fluvial UV sterilizer in line with a Oaze 30 gallon canister filter. I had a lot of issues identifying the algae as Dinos until I put them under the scope. My LFS seems very dumb and told me they were cyanos, so I travelled about an hour to the nearest coral store I could trust, and they immediately identified them as Dinos. I will attach the scope pictures in this forum if anyone can identify exactly what kind they are that would be great! I tested my water parameters and found my nitrates and phosphates were at 0! I then dosed 20mL of nitrates, and 6 drops of phosphates and the day after dosed 10mL and 2 drops. Then proceeded to get my water tested and found my phosphates were then zero again already and nitrates were at 15.

Also, I have been blasting them off the rocks with a turkey baster thing I use to feed my acans. I'm not sure if this is a good approach at all, but it seems to be forcing the Dinos into my UV which based on what I know about UV seems like a good idea.

Please let me know what you guys think I feel pretty hopeless at the moment on my journey to kill the Dinos :(

Are they stingy and disappear at night? If so it looks like Ostreopsis.

UV will get them when they move around at night. Try to keep Nitrates and Phosphates above zero, and avoid anything that can feed them such as carbon sources or additives. Just keep the tank stable with simple Sodium Bicarbonate for Alk, and Calcium Chloride for Ca.

Black out the tank for a couple of days if possible .

If youy have a video showing the cell movement that would make it easier to determine the exact type.

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Not Ostreopsis. Looks like Prorocentrum. Get your NO3 and PO4 back up (5-10 and 0.06-0.10 respectively). Dose silicates (water glass, not SpongExcel...it's too dilute) 0.2 ml for every 15 gallons of net water volume daily. Dose phyto if possible as well. It likely will take several weeks to get under control but it's very doable.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

That method will beat any other method on file in a nano. we have multiple results like that, all from other people's reef tanks is why I'd make that claim. the method above solves any invasion in any nano without measure, identification or hesitation. we are taking ultimate responsibility for the aquarium vs taking a backseat, is how we're pulling off those after pics.

helplessness turns to action only because the tank owner Sadie agrees to do that. most won't. the cure for dinos in your tank is to clean it correctly a time or two.

Simply read the page 12 onward where resolve develops and invasion control is initiated

it'll take all of 10 minutes to read how she cleans the tank, and re cleans it as needed, to simply stop any invasion.

eventually the organism will exhaust, in this case above a reef tank owner is willing to be stronger than the organism in question, you can see who's winning. most won't do that, they allow the organism to control all timing, expression and enjoyment. Sadie is directly not doing that, it's the most important detail of the entire read-her taking responsibility for the invasion.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gucci

after reading that proof

let's do a guided rip clean on your tank, so I can collect more after pics of gold.

post a full tank shot of your reef, in prep. read Sadie's link, know it fwds/backwds and run it on your tank, let's see the after pics. any questions you have after tank pic scan and prep we can cover here, for a live-time tank fix with before and after pictures.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 74 86.0%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 7.0%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 3.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.5%
Back