Dino's or algae with bubbles stuck to it?

twilliard

Tank pests..
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Buckle up for the ride. Lol
Once I do some research and figure out which of the two it is and how to eradicate I will be updating. Keep ya posted
H2O2 and erythromycin are a no go. Currently growing out in one of my 1000ml beakers.

OP
OP
ReeferMaddness843

ReeferMaddness843

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So far I've seen its photosynthetic and non reliant on nutrients. Next, it must be introduced somehow rather than just showing up. That being said, I started looking into everything I add and dose into my tank. I've added a few coral, but from 2 reputable sellers. All corals were dipped and cleaned plugs prior to introduction so I don't believe that to be the culprit. Next I started looking into my top off water. Sealed and holding at 0tds in all containers. Funny thing is there is 0 growth in my fuge, the place I'd rather it be. Lol. Alright, nothing jumping out to me yet. So then I check my dosing chemicals. I may have just found something. Not even thinking, my alk solution is made by the gallon and kept in a (silly me) translucent container in my kitchen, across from where we leave the light over the stove on 24/7. The chrysophytes assessment would make sense, as the alk mixture is freshwater (rodi). It's receiving light, undisturbed, in a warmer area. Here's a pic of what I've found in my alk container this am. So in hindsight, I may have been seeding my tank. Needless to say, heading out today to get a new bag of alk mix and a solid colored container. More homework today in researching the other 2 suggested evil doers as well. Tracking anything I do as well as what results are here. Terrible pic and when I go to remove the solution, I'll try and get a more in detail pic of the tanish gunk
IMG_7137.JPG

OP
OP
ReeferMaddness843

ReeferMaddness843

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seeing that it appears to be photosynthetic I am going to cut my t5s off and run just my kessils at a very blue spectrum only for a few days to see if there is any cutback in growth. I also added some chemipur elite this am as I know the bag I had in there was beyond exhausted. If it seems to recede or at least stunts the growth, I may attempt a blackout and see what happens then. Wish me luck in my experiments. Lol.

twilliard

Tank pests..
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seeing that it appears to be photosynthetic I am going to cut my t5s off and run just my kessils at a very blue spectrum only for a few days to see if there is any cutback in growth. I also added some chemipur elite this am as I know the bag I had in there was beyond exhausted. If it seems to recede or at least stunts the growth, I may attempt a blackout and see what happens then. Wish me luck in my experiments. Lol.
Luck is sent and I am watching!

twilliard

Tank pests..
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Once I am done with my cyanobacteria on the table I will have room for these guys, or I can get more 1000ml beakers LOL I do have 1 open 1000ml but it is plastic darn it.

OP
OP
ReeferMaddness843

ReeferMaddness843

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And I made a new addition yesterday. Had one before but lost to unknown reasons and with such a low bioload and looking for a while I couldn't resist his cute lil face. This should also put an end to any algae growth on rocks. :D (Know main issue is bacterial so won't help that)
IMG_7138.JPG

OP
OP
ReeferMaddness843

ReeferMaddness843

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol. All in the name of science!! I have a spare 5 gal I thought about taking a rock out and using water from a water change in with heater and circulation. Then running a blackout test on that before attempting to potentially stress anything in my tank with extended darkness if unnecessary. Or try a bacteria vs bacteria test. Pretty much anything I didn't wanna just irrationally try on my DT and in a controlled environment.

OP
OP
ReeferMaddness843

ReeferMaddness843

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Photo of day 1 with dimmed lighting. Unfortunately it looks worse today. I can't decide if it is from that much growth or if because the only spots I saw it to start were in the shade and it enjoys the low light making my situation worse. Going to try one thing at a time so as not to change too many things. I did notice my alk had dipped to about 6.2-6.4 on my salifert kit so bumping that back up at moment. I've read good things about waste away, but very nervous to add unknowns to my tank (a lot of research in near future on that topic) Other thought was UV to resolve, but don't want to destroy my beneficial bacteria. Next train of thought went to fighting bacteria with bacteria. Hmmmmm. Going to try low light for another day or two, but if progressively gets worse over next few days I've got to find a more immediate course of action as some of my zoas are furious and won't open with what appears to be this crap all over them. Ugh. Of course they're mounted and established to structural rocks so removal and scrubbing isn't an option nor a real solution. Fortunately I'm off call for work this week so I can tackle big projects and tests this week. Got me frustrated to the point I've actually considered buying a new tank and doing the spring cleaning and transfer method. Lol. :eek::confused::mad:

Yesterday:
IMG_7129.JPG

This morning:
IMG_7143.JPG

This evening:
IMG_7146.JPG

twilliard

Tank pests..
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The color is quite baffling still. I have seen small patches of green before but yours is all green. Odd
The picture you posted as yesterday has caught my attention. I think I actually have this on hand. In the center of the picture on the rock you can see where it has made a mat. This looks identical to a bacteria I am growing.

Figuring out the why: Has your primary reason(s) for keeping a saltwater aquarium changed over time?

• My reasons for reef keeping have changed dramatically.

Votes: 11 9.2%
  • My reasons for reef keeping have somewhat evolved.

Votes: 51 42.9%
  • My reasons for reef keeping have no changed.

Votes: 56 47.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.8%
Back