Disregard for reefing guidelines

Arthacker87

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Except - a lot of people use varying temps and salinity with great success. IMHO - the longer you are doing this - the more you will realize that in reality, things tend to do ok. Its also my opinion - that most of the 'disease' in the supply chain - is in fact toxins and issues with shipping causing messed up fish - that will die with or without QT or anything else.
Yes people who have done the research understand that. See the point. I dont know too many people making amazing reefs in 1.020 salinity or 1.030. Now if you have basic knowledge of what is an acceptable salinity then you know there is a range to plan in. He is saying do some research (which would show you acceptable parameters) and if youre snagged or confused ask questions. That aside I don't mind answering questions common or dumb. Just understand what the op is saying as well. Sometimes questions are so common or normal you think "seriously it's common knowledge to know before starting a tank". But as stated I'd rather answer the questions and help success than not and have failure

Brit’s Fish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I had a pretty solid plan of attack when I started my first tank, or so I thought. I have a couple of friends with saltwater tanks that looked to be successful to my noob eyes and I took advice from them. I had what I thought was a very trusted LFS who gave me a lot of terrible advice, which I found out the hard way, in some cases. The LFS talked smack about every other store in the area & told me a lot of things that I now know to be completely false. It’s really disappointing to me now, knowing that I could have done things a lot differently.
Then I found this forum and I found a few other LFSs in my area, I’m lucky to have several near me & got on the right track pretty quickly. I’m nowhere near an expert but I have been in the hobby almost 2 years now and I have voraciously consumed any materials I can about reef & fish keeping. Those same friends whose reefs are doing okay (in spite of them) are impressed with how well my tanks are doing & wonder why theirs don’t look the same. The LFS I mentioned is a common denominator but all I can do is say my piece, their loyalties lie where they lie.
All of this is to say that without being able to come to this forum as a newbie and ask my stupid questions, (after googling!) I would probably have drained my first tank and this hobby would be in my rear view. I appreciate that I found this community and am thankful that no one ever shamed me or made me feel stupid for asking annoying questions. And there have been a lot of them. I am an over-thinker and always need a second opinion because I don’t have people I feel I can rely on all the time.
Thats all.

OP
OP
ZoWhat

ZoWhat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I've come up with a strategy

Not handing out advice to OPs with less than 500 total messages on R2R... toooooooooo green. They need to ripen up

Then not argue with ppl with over 5,000 messages. Too salty and stuck in their ways

This makes me a bad person, I think

Last edited:

Rubberfrog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, it may not really be my business, except that it is. There is currently a ban on fish collection in Hawaii. How many thousands of yellow tangs do you think have died in the tanks of people who couldn't be troubled to do some basic research before buying one? Chances are there wouldn't be a need to ban fish collection if this did not happen so much. Call me judgmental if you want, but I feel it is absolutely imperative to stress the importance of good pet care to new reefers. At the rate things are going, the reefing hobby may be banned entirely.
Dude... all of the real problems in life- politics, religion, taxes, social issues, crime, war, climate, etc- and you're allowing yourself to suffer angst over the tang in my tank. Priorities.

brmreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A must watch:

That was one of the funniest videos I have ever seen. I will more than likely chuck silently for the next few days as scenes from that video randomly reverberate through my mind.

Thanks for that... ;Hilarious

czoolander

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly it might have been. The original article I read has been removed. Basically sounded a bit blown up and dramatic… about how they are outlawing anything that is not Tank bred/grown/raised. And it wasn’t on a “city” level that they mentioned more like a state(?! I don’t know what you all call the subdivided areas in Canada). But whatever. Guess that just goes to show how messed up our world is. And I guess I just helped murky the waters… my bad!
Forgive a young lad who can now not trust his own eyes?!
Its all good man haha but wow you had me really worried for a moment until I looked around the internet .

We are divided up into provinces in Canada which are similar to your states in the USA

Have a good one !

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Its all good man haha but wow you had me really worried for a moment until I looked around the internet .

We are divided up into provinces in Canada which are similar to your states in the USA

Have a good one !
You can stay worried - it didnt get deleted - but it was just a draft. (for Winnipeg)

fish farmer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I've come up with a strategy

Not handing out advice to OPs with less than 500 total messages on R2R... toooooooooo green. They need to ripen up

Then not argue with ppl with over 5,000 messages. Too salty and stuck in their ways

This makes me a bad person, I think

That's an interesting plan.

I just started to play with the ignore button recently...but your(this) thread still came up but your original message doesn't show at all :p ;),.

txgunsmith14

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can definitely attest to being new and making mistakes that if I had read every article and unlimited dollars I wouldn’t have made any of the mistakes I did.
Simple answer is instant gratification.

Another hobby of mine is mountain climbing. Had I read every article on that as well I wouldn’t have failed my first attempt on Mt Rainier. I succeeded my second attempt however and went to climb another one 4K feet higher the next yea

Or how about firearms? Don’t get one until you are en expert with them?

We all enjoy the same thing on this forum and some are experts and others are beginning. We are all here to learn hopefully and apply that knowledge.

I will read as many posts as I can and ask as many questions I feel won’t get looked down on from the experts in here so I can be a bit more successful at this hobby just like my others.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I think ignoring someone with xxxx posts is a silly theory - but feel free lol;). Its a discussion board. People discuss - if you disagree - and have a minimum amount of evidence - it will be accepted. The ignoring seems to work best for (can't say the words) - but basically nothing wrong with a good discussion. IMHO - if you want to start a website where your views are 'godlike' - awesome (I agree with a lot of them) - but - yeah . Your plan to me is not smart

OP
OP
ZoWhat

ZoWhat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm done with this thread. I was just basically asking if experienced ppl were tired of reading and responding to newbie questions when obviously they have NOT done enough research to care for a tank in the first place.

Any hobby taken seriously needs the person to do their own research and not rely on forums to bail them out of every situation.

See a problem? Take action and personal responsibility to go read about others who have well documented their almost exact situation

76492795.jpg

Last edited:

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'm done with this thread. I was just basically asking if experienced ppl were tired of reading and responding to newbie questions when obviously they have NOT done enough research to care for a tank in the first place.

Any hobby taken seriously needs the person to do their own research and not rely on forums to bail them out of every situation.

See a problem? Take action and personal responsibility to go read about others who have well documented their almost exact situation

76492795.jpg
The answer - in short - is no - people are not tired about it, Pharaoh. The reason - if I search this forum and read xxxx posts - I can get opinions from 2010 and beyond. I do not want that - I want the most current opinion. So - in general - I am not tired of reading new questions. I will say - it would be nice if more people would use the 'advanced search option' - which most people probably do not know exists - searched for the newest posts.

txgunsmith14

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I definitely wouldn't go out on some forum and ask questions like
"Is it OK for me to clean my gun when I haven't checked if it's still loaded?"

"Is it OK for me to store all my ammo right next to my fireplace?"

:rolleyes:
Right but how dare you for not knowing muzzle velocity of a 300 wsm before you buy one? People are either here to help, ask questions, or take their expertise to the grave. If you are the latter then they can stay on the wtb and wtt/wts section.
♂️

agame2021

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

76492795.jpg
How are you supposed to find an exact algae line and how to fight it if you don’t understand what it is? I had a weird algae that I got people scratching their heads on. The forum wasn’t able to help and luckily it went away. Granted if it is any of the major 3 algae’s then yeah but I just don’t see how anyone can study them all out and know without having experienced it before.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 34.2%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 20 25.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 13 16.5%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 19 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back