Disregard for reefing guidelines

vintage detritus

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How does a rare dog differ from any other dog? Kibble, water, flea collar, brushing, walk for exercise and to its business. What else does a dog need?
Jeanna the future vet. My daughter.
2020080815101826-2001632081187525130-IMG_4215-L.jpg
This would right after the White Coat Ceremony, correct? I recall I wept wee bit at my daughter's.

Arthacker87

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's the basic questions that get me kinda blah about. I'm having problems and my salinity is 1.020 or 1.030 and they never knew it had to be in a range of 1.024 to 1.026. With minimal research you can find the basic "must be" in the hobby. Like tank temp and salinity. The harder questions should be what we are here for pH alk Calc etc. It lack of zero research does blow me away. I'm a procrastinator and don't due my due diligence but I have a successful reef just by maintaining temp, salinity and lighting. I did that research at the very beginning before buying a tank bare minimum. I've seen on here people topping off with salt water instead of ro, low as heck salinity, giant fish in tiny tanks, all basic knowledge that should be read before hand. That being said, I'd rather them ask than not cuz it'll help keep fish and coral alive. I do agree to have the bare minimum knowledge before the dive, or hop on here and use the search bar

Little c big D

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Little c big D

Anyone want to talk about how someone made it all about cycling a tank lol.

that’s one mentioned aspect where noncompliance paid off, literally. Don’t sub over generalization for catchy humor. new reefers skip disease preps and kill thousands of wasted fish a few months after startup collectively because of the false training in old cycling science, ie the rules.

Source for claims: any given ten hour period of new posts added to the fish disease forum the last five years.
Humor is important. Don't point your serious face at me lol. This topic is controversial and spicy. Without humor it's just complaining.

OP
OP
ZoWhat

ZoWhat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That was my point. IMHO - the best way to learn is to 'ask questions'.
Asking questions are cool.... if you have good basic knowledge.

I wouldn't walk up to a group of Epidemiologist Doctors eating lunch at a table and start asking questions about T-cells. I haven't done the hardwork studying to hang intelligently with that crowd.... I'd embarrass myself and they would stare at their food until I walked away

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Asking questions are cool.... if you have good basic knowledge.

I wouldn't walk up to a group of Epidemiologist Doctors eating lunch at a table and start asking questions about T-cells. I haven't done the hardwork studying to hang intelligently with that crowd.... I'd embarrass myself and they would stare at their food until I walked away

They probably wouldn't know the answers - or you would get 10 different answers from 10 different people:)

Bravoman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I just started my first saltwater tank a little over a month ago and have to say that I had a line of attack for my first saltwater tank. But every lfs had their ideas and It did make me veer off my Schedule a little.

LRT

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not really sure how cycling and bottle bac was brought up;):D but here's another tank I started just like the previous tank I posted.
Running all kinds of experiments on it ATM. What im finding may hurt a few of the bottle baccers feelings though I'll start another thread for that.
@brandon429 is this clean enough for the clean tank thread? ;)
20210911_084156.jpg
200w.gif

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It wasn’t earlier in the week when I detected .1% trace floating particles marring the principle of clean tanking, but it dang sure is representative right now for sure. Clean zen attained

OP
OP
ZoWhat

ZoWhat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not really sure how cycling and bottle bac was brought up;):D but here's another tank I started just like the previous tank I posted.
Running all kinds of experiments on it ATM. What im finding may hurt a few of the bottle baccers feelings though I'll start another thread for that.
@brandon429 is this clean enough for the clean tank thread? ;)
20210911_084156.jpg
200w.gif
GIF by Gotham

Guess this thread is now Open Source flow of anything you wanna say. Lol. It's all good...

Sometimes I like to eat tuna salad on plain saltines for lunch. Nothing else, just tuna and saltines. Quite satisfying

Last edited:

LRT

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
GIF by Gotham

Guess this thread is now Open Source flow of anything you wanna say. Lol. It's all good...

Sometimes I like to eat tuna salad on plain saltines for lunch. Nothing else, just tuna and saltines. Quite satisfying
mQrgWR@facebook.gif

:D

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
It's the basic questions that get me kinda blah about. I'm having problems and my salinity is 1.020 or 1.030 and they never knew it had to be in a range of 1.024 to 1.026. With minimal research you can find the basic "must be" in the hobby. Like tank temp and salinity. The harder questions should be what we are here for pH alk Calc etc. It lack of zero research does blow me away. I'm a procrastinator and don't due my due diligence but I have a successful reef just by maintaining temp, salinity and lighting. I did that research at the very beginning before buying a tank bare minimum. I've seen on here people topping off with salt water instead of ro, low as heck salinity, giant fish in tiny tanks, all basic knowledge that should be read before hand. That being said, I'd rather them ask than not cuz it'll help keep fish and coral alive. I do agree to have the bare minimum knowledge before the dive, or hop on here and use the search bar
Except - a lot of people use varying temps and salinity with great success. IMHO - the longer you are doing this - the more you will realize that in reality, things tend to do ok. Its also my opinion - that most of the 'disease' in the supply chain - is in fact toxins and issues with shipping causing messed up fish - that will die with or without QT or anything else.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 17.3%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 28 16.2%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.5%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 75 43.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.6%
Back