View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everyone sell your tank, fish, coral and equipment

Instead, take up Fast Women and Slow Drinking

Teeth Wow GIF by Demic
Very funny!

That girl must have a great dental plan!

elorablue

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everyone sell your tank, fish, coral and equipment

Instead, take up Fast Women and Slow Drinking
Dude, why don't you use that energy and experience to question and challenge a certain someone on this forum who gives out bad science advice to mostly brand new reefers and this particular person doesn't even own a tank nor does he keep fish. If you did that you'd have my full and unwavering support, not that you're looking for it. ;)

pbrown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Same here Miami. I started with a 20 gallon Fancy Tail Guppies/FW. 45 years ago, the only saltwater information I could get was from local fish store and reading Aquarium Magazine. So I started a 55-gallon SFO. I made a couple mistakes,. Many survived. I learned that Seahorses would not eat anything but live brine. Later I find that 1 month of the year, live brine was not available at the lfs. Broke my heart to see 6 Seahorses starve.

I don't believe, for a second, that anyone gets into salt willie/nellie. The start-up cost just too high. jmo
25 years ago I was armed with Sprung volumes 1-4. The reading was like Marine Biology PHD course.
now- 2 years back into reefing and we all blog and have iPhones. What a difference!

BTimms

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone else seeing a dramatic rise of ppl that are new to the hobby and disregarding reefing guidelines?

Surely one would never go buy a rare type of dog without reading in depth on how to care for it, train it.... maybe ppl do just buy and figure it out later. What do i know?

I feel like a person in a Motorcycle Forum called Bike2Bike...with questions like,

"Is it okay to use first gear up until 65mph? And why does black smoke come out of my exhaust when I do this?"

"Can I ride backwards on my Harley and steer with my arms behind me? I wanna see where I've been"

I'm not understanding the total lack of discipline (common sense if you will) when entering a hobby, when you obviously know you have to do a lot of research for it.... yet a lot of ppl just seem to be winging-it

nitrate(1).jpg
People see vibrant cool pictures and videos on social media and bring their over privileged wallet to the lfs, gear up, stock up and go. These people don’t consider that they are now responsible for live animals, nor appreciate the research and effort that is required. They just want pretty colours And it’s allll for their Instagram, or to show off, type of mentality.

Lfs’s are partially To blame in that they are not monitoring who they sell to, greed of sale and do not offer immediate knowledge and guidance.

BTimms

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In other words, you see a lot of people coming here without a lot of knowledge and education on something they are just getting their feet wet in .

What's new?

I don't have a problem with people joining this hobby Or coming here deaf, dumb, and blind, looking to learn.

You've got A Lot to say. Is it not a better use of time to spend it Educating these people, than posting about it and looking for others who commiserate with you?
He has much to complain about.

Last edited:

agame2021

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fellow Canadian what is this " ban the hobby in Canada " about ? I know they banned fish medication in Canada is that what you are referring to ? I have heard nothing about a full out ban on reefing however

Fake news ???
Honestly it might have been. The original article I read has been removed. Basically sounded a bit blown up and dramatic… about how they are outlawing anything that is not Tank bred/grown/raised. And it wasn’t on a “city” level that they mentioned more like a state(?! I don’t know what you all call the subdivided areas in Canada). But whatever. Guess that just goes to show how messed up our world is. And I guess I just helped murky the waters… my bad!
Forgive a young lad who can now not trust his own eyes?!

Last edited:

ingchr1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Season 4 Andy GIF by The Office

I've been reefing since 2004. Back when Compact Fluorescence lights were actually a thing.

2004-2010: Early years spent a TON of researching time on thereeftank.com, which was a site where it was mostly guys who started SW in the 80s. During these years had quite the MH setup over a 75g. Spent the first 6-9mos as FO and reading as much as I could on TheReefTank. Learned a ton of "reefing guidelines" from these old dudes. After I thought I was ready for corals maybe 9mos in, went thru 6yrs of AcroHell trying to do a mixed reef heavy on Acro. Got tried of losing a ton of Acros bc I was too lazy to follow Alk #s -vs- Alk spikes.

2010-2015: worked 20hrs a week at a local Coral shop. I was the lead tech where the Owner would bring in $1000 worth of corals every 1-2 weeks and I was the lead in fragging stuff. Also lead salesperson. Owner loved SPS so I left that work to him. He too failed over and over with Acros. He was a big Brightwell follower and kept burning up SPS with dosing Iodine. He wouldn't listen to me.....This job is where I fell in love with LPS, mostly zoanthids.

2015 - present: I now have a 6ft 180g with LED light and a tank full of zoas/palys.

I did from 2016-2018 go thru my Wrasse phase trying to keep multiple wrasses. They kept jumping out if the tank due to being territorial.

2018-2020 the Tang phase where I had too many Tangs, 3 to be exact in the 180. All reached full adult size and got territorial.

Present day: Now down to just one tang, one wrasse, several clowns, a tank full of zoas/palys.

I'm on R2R as my only form of social media entertainment..... Im not a quiet person (obviously) and I drag myself into trying to help ppl with my experience since 2004 and 5 yrs of Coral chop shop experience....Sorta like an experienced person on the sidelines saying,, "no, no, no don't do that! Arrrrgh!!"

but its getting harder to help ppl and overcome the amount ignorance (not stupidity, that's different) ....where one has to type out a 20 page dissertation on what ppl need to do to correct the wrong pathes they're going down.
So did the reefing guidelines that you were following over the past 17 years tell you to:
  • Be lazy with your Alk?
  • Keep incompatible Wrasse together?
  • Keep too many Tangs for the size tank that you have?

fish farmer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
People see vibrant cool pictures and videos on social media and bring their over privileged wallet to the lfs, gear up, stock up and go. These people don’t consider that they are now responsible for live animals, nor appreciate the research and effort that is required. They just want pretty colours And it’s allll for their Instagram, or to show off, type of mentality.

Lfs’s are partially To blame in that they are not monitoring who they sell to, greed of sale and do not offer immediate knowledge and guidance.
I've had some good LFS owners before, but I rarely remember getting enough time to actually talk with them about stuff. Why? They would be talking up another customer for a half hour or so, going through all the ins and outs of an aquarium trying to make the sale. I've already done my research for the most part before hitting the store, I see what I want, maybe have a question or two, then bag it up and I'm gone. I've actually walked out of stores when the owner is busy talking up some one on what I believe can be had in a book, but I do understand that some people learn differently and may need that person to person talk.

One of my good friends worked for a little while in the LFS trade, very intelligent and passionate about fish and fisheries. He would be to type to steer you in the right direction and not try and make the sale. The problem with that is, that sale he doesn't make or the deterrent of "SW is needs more care" sends the nemo/dory seekers to a big chain store where the sale gets made. He finally left the business, what he called "the death hobby".

OP
OP
ZoWhat

ZoWhat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So did the reefing guidelines that you were following over the past 17 years tell you to:
  • Be lazy with your Alk?
  • Keep incompatible Wrasse together?
  • Keep too many Tangs for the size tank that you have?

That Sucks The Office GIF

So let's SKIP OVER all the statements where I researched and researched on TheReefTank to do my best in the early years where Reef knowledge was sparse and unorganized at best. And I waited 9mos to start corals.

I never claimed I was perfect or even near perfect in my early years (or evenly present day for God's sake) ..... but I did (and do) put in the research effort.

I continue to research a lot present day. I'm currently researching why some zoas get large and fleshy with 50-70 PAR 400-480nm lighting,, while others react with developing tiny discs heads

3 wrasses or Tangs in 6ft 180..... heck I read on here everyday where ppl list they have 5 wrasses or 4 Tangs in their 2-3month old tank. THATS MY POINT....Capisce?

Not appreciating surgical witch hunting tactics

But I'm not here to argue. Discuss hard to talk about things? Yes. But not listening to someone surgically pointing things out.

Last edited:
OP
OP
ZoWhat

ZoWhat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dude, why don't you use that energy and experience to question and challenge a certain someone on this forum who gives out bad science advice to mostly brand new reefers and this particular person doesn't even own a tank nor does he keep fish. If you did that you'd have my full and unwavering support, not that you're looking for it. ;)

stock-new-house-construction.jpg

.... because that task of helping endless ppl is like the pic above. Ppl who who have started building their own house with little knowledge and unaware there is a ton of research reading that they need to do before coming out to any forum asking for us to give them what they perceive is the single golden answer.

many answers that need to be given to ppl could take pages and pages of typing to get them straightened out. all knowledge that is already documented if one goes researching for it

too daunting of a task to help ppl UNLESS they have done the research and just need fine-tuning on their knowledge

I ain't gonna build someone's house for them....

Last edited:

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If we didn’t have rule breakers old cycling science rule writers would still be getting minimum three bottles of cycling bac sold per api or Red Sea cycle (first one didnt fix nitrite, was dead obviously, buy two more)

Admittedly we’ve only convinced one percent of overall cyclers not to get played, but it’s a start and one percent is still about a thousand cycles logged the new way.

cycle stallers, we are coming for your reefs but thankfully not for charge— just to fix you up nerd style.

sometimes the rules as written need fact checked by folks with nothing to sell but have many friends with seneye now at the table.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When cycle stall professors are asked to remark on seneye readings regarding dry start cycles with bottle bac, and how not one time in history did a seneye cycle stall, we get silence. Crickets

no updated MACNA videos, radio silencia

sometimes reef rules wind up taking peoples cash unfairly.

elorablue

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
stock-new-house-construction.jpg

.... because that task of helping endless ppl is like the pic above. Ppl who who have started building their own house with little knowledge and unaware there is a ton of research reading that they need to do before coming out to any forum asking for us to give them what they perceive is the single golden answer.

many answers that need to be given to ppl could take pages and pages of typing to get them straightened out. all knowledge that is already documented if one goes researching for it

too daunting of a task to help ppl UNLESS they have done the research and just need fine-tuning on their knowledge

I ain't gonna build someone's house for them....

I will agree with you that it can be very frustrating when a new person comes on here and starts asking the most basic of questions but you find out that their tank is already wet and they have a couple of fish in it already. Certainly not the best way to go about things. However, it's not too late to be helpful with them.
This is not specific to the aquarium hobby though, the number of people who buy border collies, for example, with zero research into the breed, and then find out they're just a little high energy for their couch potato lifestyle is frankly sickening.

also, I'm kinda glad you didn't take the bait about a 'certain someone' ..best to just keep said person on ignore.

Oldreefer44

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay. Someone comes into the hobby unprepared and uneducated. Finds R2R and asks for help. HELP!! Just HELP!!! Don't whine, just HELP!!!!

We can berede the newcomer, and shame them into never asking the questions that SHOULD be asked by a newcomer, or we can supply the information they need and deserve.

Stickies and the search function are great, but nothing compares to real time interaction with a real person who can point us in the right direction (toward the stickies?). THAT'S WHAT WE'RE HERE FOR! To help each other, and be helped by each other. Can't we just do that? Do we really have to complain about it?

I'll be the first to admit that I wasn't well informed when I started. Kind, helpful people at the LFS and R2R helped me become the (slightly) more knowledgeable reefer that I am today without judging me. I deeply appreciate that, and hope I can pay it forward.

I'm sorry if this post is offensive. I try not to be confrontational, but come on guys... Do we really have to beat up the new reefers who are just trying to ask for help?
Totally agree. Seems like there are daily posts from "beginners" that are in over their head for many of the reasons already covered. Might suggest a new category on the header titled something along the lines of "new to the hobby?" Basic info could be provided to help get people off to a better start.

LRT

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Season 4 Andy GIF by The Office

I've been reefing since 2004. Back when Compact Fluorescence lights were actually a thing.

2004-2010: Early years spent a TON of researching time on thereeftank.com, which was a site where it was mostly guys who started SW in the 80s. During these years had quite the MH setup over a 75g. Spent the first 6-9mos as FO and reading as much as I could on TheReefTank. Learned a ton of "reefing guidelines" from these old dudes. After I thought I was ready for corals maybe 9mos in, went thru 6yrs of AcroHell trying to do a mixed reef heavy on Acro. Got tried of losing a ton of Acros bc I was too lazy to follow Alk #s -vs- Alk spikes.

2010-2015: worked 20hrs a week at a local Coral shop. I was the lead tech where the Owner would bring in $1000 worth of corals every 1-2 weeks and I was the lead in fragging stuff. Also lead salesperson. Owner loved SPS so I left that work to him. He too failed over and over with Acros. He was a big Brightwell follower and kept burning up SPS with dosing Iodine. He wouldn't listen to me.....This job is where I fell in love with LPS, mostly zoanthids.

2015 - present: I now have a 6ft 180g with LED light and a tank full of zoas/palys.

I did from 2016-2018 go thru my Wrasse phase trying to keep multiple wrasses. They kept jumping out if the tank due to being territorial.

2018-2020 the Tang phase where I had too many Tangs, 3 to be exact in the 180. All reached full adult size and got territorial.

Present day: Now down to just one tang, one wrasse, several clowns, a tank full of zoas/palys.

I'm on R2R as my only form of social media entertainment..... Im not a quiet person (obviously) and I drag myself into trying to help ppl with my experience since 2004 and 5 yrs of Coral chop shop experience....Sorta like an experienced person on the sidelines saying,, "no, no, no don't do that! Arrrrgh!!"

but its getting harder to help ppl and overcome the amount ignorance (not stupidity, that's different) ....where one has to type out a 20 page dissertation on what ppl need to do to correct the wrong pathes they're going down.
It's a start man. Tbh i do see you post and give sound advice and agree with most of it.
As others have already pointed out its the commiserate and "Karen" part of some of the threads that may run a beginner off and most definitely get folks riled up in the process. But you know that. Anyhow its good to see some realness come out of this one. I dont want anyone to run across our back and forth on some of these threads and get a bad taste. Def not attacks on my part but rather just trying to come to some sort of understanding. The wife points out how I need to learn to be a better person everyday. Its times like these that I remember that.
BTW I've stuck to the strictest adherence of the "guidelines" the pros have layed out for us in the tank i posted. Its been my biggest challenge in reefing yet. Without those "rules" and guidelines i wouldnt been successful as I have. I have bent a few though

snorklr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you know i saw the same article on the proposed canadian ban on inverts and anything not tank bred...i believe it was posted in the lounge section...not only cant i find it here any attempts to google it come up empty....

Last edited:

ingchr1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you know i saw the same article on the proposed canadian ban on inverts and anything not tank bred...i believe it was posted in the lounge section...not only cant i find it here any attempts to google it come up empty....

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 34.2%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 19 25.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 12 15.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 19 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back