Disregard for reefing guidelines

Ryan Avery

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for response. I do totally agree with you on most things but respectfully say I agree to disagree on certain points and that's ok.
Getting back to topic of thread.
I have to stick with my original stance that until OP posts a legitimate picture of a tank, healthy corals or at least something productive showing he can at least keep a reef in general. Im not going to be able to take any of it serious and continue to call it like I'm sure many of us here see it. That these are not threads looking for anything constructive to come of them, hes looking to push buttons and get people fired up and thats totally all good he got what he wanted now please give us some lol. Just want one pic lol
He likes to start a controversial thread and sit back and let everyone go at each other lol

Spieg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Look at all these judgemental people. Don't worry about how I run my tank. If you don't like a question, don't answer it. Geez. Get a life. Go spend some time with your kids. Take your significant other on a date. Anything but worry about someone else's tank.
So, it may not really be my business, except that it is. There is currently a ban on fish collection in Hawaii. How many thousands of yellow tangs do you think have died in the tanks of people who couldn't be troubled to do some basic research before buying one? Chances are there wouldn't be a need to ban fish collection if this did not happen so much. Call me judgmental if you want, but I feel it is absolutely imperative to stress the importance of good pet care to new reefers. At the rate things are going, the reefing hobby may be banned entirely.

agame2021

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, it may not really be my business, except that it is. There is currently a ban on fish collection in Hawaii. How many thousands of yellow tangs do you think have died in the tanks of people who couldn't be troubled to do some basic research before buying one? Chances are there wouldn't be a need to ban fish collection if this did not happen so much. Call me judgmental if you want, but I feel it is absolutely imperative to stress the importance of good pet care to new reefers. At the rate things are going, the reefing hobby may be banned entirely.
I agree with most of that. Having lived I hawaii though I know they placed the ban for more than just a reason like this. Did it play into it, for sure! But they would have gotten to this point without us eventually.
And an FYI they are trying to ban this hobby in Canada… I just don’t know if this hobby will get that much attention from the government seeing as they are trying to screw up just about everything else.

czoolander

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with most of that. Having lived I hawaii though I know they placed the ban for more than just a reason like this. Did it play into it, for sure! But they would have gotten to this point without us eventually.
And an FYI they are trying to ban this hobby in Canada… I just don’t know if this hobby will get that much attention from the government seeing as they are trying to screw up just about everything else.
Fellow Canadian what is this " ban the hobby in Canada " about ? I know they banned fish medication in Canada is that what you are referring to ? I have heard nothing about a full out ban on reefing however

Fake news ???

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fellow Canadian what is this " ban the hobby in Canada " about ? I know they banned fish medication in Canada is that what you are referring to ? I have heard nothing about a full out ban on reefing however

Fake news ???
There’s some rumblings in Winnipeg about bans on any live fish and all invertebrates (supposedly there’s a bylaw going before council at some point).

czoolander

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There’s some rumblings in Winnipeg about bans on any live fish and all invertebrates (supposedly there’s a bylaw going before council at some point).
So that sounds like a local thing in Winnipeg . I don't think city council can pass laws for the entire country luckily .

Out of curiosity what is the reasons Winnipeg wants to put the ban forward ?

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So that sounds like a local thing in Winnipeg . I don't think city council can pass laws for the entire country luckily .

Out of curiosity what is the reasons Winnipeg wants to put the ban forward ?
It does, yes. Why? Because we’ve been letting the inmates run the asylum for the past 6 years...

czoolander

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I guess this is a good point about misinformation ......
" They are trying to ban the hobby in Canada " information posted
Possibly there might be a ban of some fish in 1 Canadian city ...... actual information

Guilty of this myself but it seems people will just post anything now without fact checking

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I guess this is a good point about misinformation ......
" They are trying to ban the hobby in Canada " information posted
Possibly there might be a ban of some fish in 1 Canadian city ...... actual information

Guilty of this myself but it seems people will just post anything now without fact checking
Fact checking? What’s that?! Perish the thought... :eek:

PeterC99

Solarbenchmark.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Season 4 Andy GIF by The Office

I just like to point out abnormalities that one else wants to point out
There are always other options - like helping solve those abnormalities!

OP
OP
ZoWhat

ZoWhat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for response. I do totally agree with you on most things but respectfully say I agree to disagree on certain points and that's ok.
Getting back to topic of thread.
I have to stick with my original stance that until OP posts a legitimate picture of a tank, healthy corals or at least something productive showing he can at least keep a reef in general. Im not going to be able to take any of it serious and continue to call it like I'm sure many of us here see it. That these are not threads looking for anything constructive to come of them, hes looking to push buttons and get people fired up and thats totally all good he got what he wanted now please give us some lol. Just want one pic lol

I've been reefing since 2004. Back when Compact Fluorescence lights were actually a thing.

2004-2010: Early years spent a TON of researching time on thereeftank.com, which was a site where it was mostly guys who started SW in the 80s. During these years had quite the MH setup over a 75g. Spent the first 6-9mos as FO and reading as much as I could on TheReefTank. Learned a ton of "reefing guidelines" from these old dudes. After I thought I was ready for corals maybe 9mos in, went thru 6yrs of AcroHell trying to do a mixed reef heavy on Acro. Got tried of losing a ton of Acros bc I was too lazy to follow Alk #s -vs- Alk spikes.

2010-2015: worked 20hrs a week at a local Coral shop. I was the lead tech where the Owner would bring in $1000 worth of corals every 1-2 weeks and I was the lead in fragging stuff. Also lead salesperson. Owner loved SPS so I left that work to him. He too failed over and over with Acros. He was a big Brightwell follower and kept burning up SPS with dosing Iodine. He wouldn't listen to me.....This job is where I fell in love with LPS, mostly zoanthids.

2015 - present: I now have a 6ft 180g with LED light and a tank full of zoas/palys.

I did from 2016-2018 go thru my Wrasse phase trying to keep multiple wrasses. They kept jumping out if the tank due to being territorial.

2018-2020 the Tang phase where I had too many Tangs, 3 to be exact in the 180. All reached full adult size and got territorial.

Present day: Now down to just one tang, one wrasse, several clowns, a tank full of zoas/palys.

I'm on R2R as my only form of social media entertainment..... Im not a quiet person (obviously) and I drag myself into trying to help ppl with my experience since 2004 and 5 yrs of Coral chop shop experience....Sorta like an experienced person on the sidelines saying,, "no, no, no don't do that! Arrrrgh!!"

but its getting harder to help ppl and overcome the amount ignorance (not stupidity, that's different) ....where one has to type out a 20 page dissertation on what ppl need to do to correct the wrong pathes they're going down.

Last edited:

PeterC99

Solarbenchmark.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I've been reefing since 2004. Back when Compact Fluorescence lights were actually a thing.

2004-2010: Early years spent a TON of researching time on thereeftank.com. During these years had quite the MH setup over a 75g. Spent the first 6mos as FO and reading as much as I could on TheReefTamnk. Learn a ton of "reefing gudelines" from these old dudes at TheReefTank.com. After I thought I was ready for corals maybe 9mos in, went thru 6yrs of AcroHell trying to do a mixed reef heavy on Acro. Got tried of losing a ton of Acros bc I was too lazy to follow Alk #s -vs- Alk spikes.

2010-2015: worked 20hrs a week at a local Coral shop. I was the lead tech where the Owner would bring in $1000 worth of corals every 1-2 weeks and I was the lead in fragging stuff. Also lead salesperson. Owner loved SPS so I left that work to him. He too failed over and over with Acros. He was a big Brightwell follower and kept burning up SPS with dosing Iodine. He wouldn't listen to me.....This job is where I fell in love with LPS, mostly zoanthids.

2015 - present: I now have a 6ft 180g with LED light and a tank full of zoas/palys.

I did from 2016-2018 go thru my Wrasse phase trying to keep multiple wrasses. They kept jumping out if the tank due to being territorial.

2018-2020 the Tang phase where I had too many Tangs, 3 to be exact in the 180. All reached full adult size and got territorial.

Present day: Now down to just one tang, one wrasse, several clowns, a tank full of zoas/palys.

LRT has convince himself I'm some dude with a crappy tank and I sit in the basement playing troll while eating Doritos and drinking 2litres of MtDew. Not even close bruh.

I'm on R2R to try and help ppl with my experience since 2004 and 5 yrs of Coral chop shop experience....but its getting hard to overcome the amount of ppl wanting help to the point where one has to type out a 20 page dissertation on what they need to do to correct the wrong pathes they're going down.
Zoa What - You have led a very interesting life!

Sounds like you have much to offer this reefing world! Don’t let these petty distractions keep you from saving the reefing world.! Only you can save us…

N.Sreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

2004-2010: Early years spent a TON of researching time on thereeftank.com, which was a site where it was mostly guys who started SW in the 80s. During these years had quite the MH setup over a 75g. Spent the first 6-9mos as FO and reading as much as I could on TheReefTank. Learned a ton of "reefing guidelines" from these old dudes. After I thought I was ready for corals maybe 9mos in, went thru 6yrs of AcroHell trying to do a mixed reef heavy on Acro. Got tried of losing a ton of Acros bc I was too lazy to follow Alk #s -vs- Alk spikes.

LRT has convince himself I'm some dude with a crappy tank and I sit in the basement playing troll while eating Doritos and drinking 2litres of MtDew. Not even close bruh.

I'm on R2R to try and help ppl with my experience since 2004 and 5 yrs of Coral chop shop experience....but its getting hard to overcome the amount of ppl wanting help to the point where one has to type out a 20 page dissertation on what they need to do to correct the wrong pathes they're going down.
Bruh don't diss us dorito munchers. What else am I suppose to munch on while staring at my tank!? For shame.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 50 40.7%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 15 12.2%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 33 26.8%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 23 18.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.6%
Back