Disregard for reefing guidelines

ZoWhat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone else seeing a dramatic rise of ppl that are new to the hobby and disregarding reefing guidelines?

Surely one would never go buy a rare type of dog without reading in depth on how to care for it, train it.... maybe ppl do just buy and figure it out later. What do i know?

I feel like a person in a Motorcycle Forum called Bike2Bike...with questions like,

"Is it okay to use first gear up until 65mph? And why does black smoke come out of my exhaust when I do this?"

"Can I ride backwards on my Harley and steer with my arms behind me? I wanna see where I've been"

I'm not understanding the total lack of discipline (common sense if you will) when entering a hobby, when you obviously know you have to do a lot of research for it.... yet a lot of ppl just seem to be winging-it

nitrate(1).jpg

Last edited:

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There’s a lot of mis/disinformation out there, ie: saltwater isn’t that much work vs. saltwater is a major endeavour, saltwater is dirt cheap vs. saltwater requires you to take out a 2nd mortgage, etc.

Not too mention that LFS’s have a tendency to sometimes dispense a lot of mistaken and/or contradictory advice.

I guess the important thing to remember is: at least they’re asking.

Kershaw

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s why I can’t look at the comments I’m the Facebook groups.

but I think maybe it’s communication via printed word. And everyone feels that their situation is different from the last post on the same thing. I know I’m guilty of that.

I still don’t understand how to QT properly, I have read 100s of threads on it. so get ready for allot of dumb questions when my tank arrives.

if I knew someone in person who does it I know I’d be successful at it.

Isopod80

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree, some of it should be common sense but with all the intentional / unintentional misinformation out there I suppose it can be pretty confusing for newcomers. That and the fact that many seem to be winging it through life in general nowadays. I guess it comes with the territory.

OP
OP
ZoWhat

ZoWhat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do you know they are disregarding guidelines? I never had a guideline when I purchased my tank. I made a lot of mistakes and learned most of my knowledge from the errors I made.
Are you not reading the Stickys at the top of each Discussion Section?

Put there for a reason....A WEALTH of knowledge laid out for new ppl

Last edited:

Isopod80

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do you know they are disregarding guidelines? I never had a guideline when I purchased my tank. I made a lot of mistakes and learned most of my knowledge from the errors I made.
Well, for example, people buying living things without even knowing what they are or any info. on care then days/weeks later coming on here to figure it out. I don't think they need guidelines to know that's ridiculous. That's just common sense. It happens here all the time.

Gup

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Same here Miami. I started with a 20 gallon Fancy Tail Guppies/FW. 45 years ago, the only saltwater information I could get was from local fish store and reading Aquarium Magazine. So I started a 55-gallon SFO. I made a couple mistakes,. Many survived. I learned that Seahorses would not eat anything but live brine. Later I find that 1 month of the year, live brine was not available at the lfs. Broke my heart to see 6 Seahorses starve.

I don't believe, for a second, that anyone gets into salt willie/nellie. The start-up cost just too high. jmo

fish farmer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Same here Miami. I started with a 20 gallon Fancy Tail Guppies/FW. 45 years ago, the only saltwater information I could get was from local fish store and reading Aquarium Magazine. So I started a 55-gallon SFO. I made a couple mistakes,. Many survived. I learned that Seahorses would not eat anything but live brine. Later I find that 1 month of the year, live brine was not available at the lfs. Broke my heart to see 6 Seahorses starve.

I don't believe, for a second, that anyone gets into salt willie/nellie. The start-up cost just too high. jmo
There are enough newbie posts of small tanks(cheap startup) with not enough rock, not the right test kits, etc, etc that make me believe there are some that literally go into a store and come back with a SW tank. I knew someone in college back in the 80's who did just that, 30 gallon tank with an eel and a couple of fish. I just rolled my eyes....I think I even kept some of the fish for him when we went on break a week later.

I couldn't sleep for a few days when I just thought about making the plunge into a reef tank, excited and worried at the same time.

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone else seeing a dramatic rise of ppl that are new to the hobby and disregarding reefing guidelines?
In other words, you see a lot of people coming here without a lot of knowledge and education on something they are just getting their feet wet in .

What's new?

I don't have a problem with people joining this hobby Or coming here deaf, dumb, and blind, looking to learn.

You've got A Lot to say. Is it not a better use of time to spend it Educating these people, than posting about it and looking for others who commiserate with you?

OP
OP
ZoWhat

ZoWhat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In other words, you see a lot of people coming here without a lot of knowledge and education on something they are just getting their feet wet in .

What's new?

I don't have a problem with people joining this hobby Or coming here deaf, dumb, and blind, looking to learn.

You've got A Lot to say. Is it not a better use of time to spend it Educating these people, than posting about it and looking for others who commiserate with you?
I'm frustrated with ppl pulling the trigger on purchases without taking the time to research what they should be doing BEFORE the sale.... then belly achin' problems, TBH.

You don't see me buying a Ferrari (just bc I have the money for the sale) but then saying a month later, "holy crap, an oil change and tire rotation is $1,000 ?!?".... "wait, $10,000 a year in insurance? I can't afford that"

I'd kinda would have all that figured out beforehand

Not thinking things through is a sign of an immaturity lifestyle TBH

The One Where Estelle Dies Episode 15 GIF by Friends

Last edited:

Isopod80

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I've seen alot of people get into salt willie/nellie. You can find them at a local Petco near you. Just last month I saw a guy with a young kid buying a 10 gal. tank, salt, plastic decorations and a fish. I couldn't resist saying something. The guy was very nice but that's what little jr. wanted. Next week he'll want Godzilla. Keep your eyes peeled...we may meet dad soon.

Last edited:

sp1187

bird flu antidote
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

What's new?

thanks for your contribution to the post count.

N.Sreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive never met 2 people that run their respective systems exactly the same. I would go as far as saying there are no hard rules in reefing every system is as different as the person running it. For every "guideline" there's someone out there doing the opposite successfully. You can run a system a million different ways, cycle a million different ways, dose a million different ways etc. So I can see a beginner being overwhelmed being told different contradictory "guidelines" from different sources.

BarSnackz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are these "guidelines" you speak of? Stickies in different forum sections? That is all personal opinion and their experiences. This hobby is so diverse in the paths people take to accomplish the same goal. Back in the day, hobbyists would cycle their tanks with hardy fish and hoped they lived the ammonia. Then came those that would cure their live rock before adding it to their tank. Now, it's just: add dry rock, a bottle of Bio-Spira, saltwater, and fish, and corals/anemones on day one. "there's more than one way to skin a <you know>", as they say.

Times and practices change... this hobby is always growing and we all feed off each other to figure out the best way to do things. I read things on here that seem absolutely insane to do to achieve a certain goal; and then I read things that I would never think would work... it's all about finding that middle ground and doing what you think is right.
Now, buying a gem tang and throwing it in a brand new tank and feeding it pellets is a different story... not to say it won't work; but, it may take some time and studying to realize that you may need to re-adjust fire and try a different approach.

X-37B

Fight the Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Surely one would never go buy a rare type of dog without reading in depth on how to care for it, train it.... maybe ppl do just buy and figure it out later. What do i know?

I feel like a person in a Motorcycle Forum called Bike2Bike...with questions like,

"Is it okay to use first gear up until 65mph? And why does black smoke come out of my exhaust when I do this?"

"Can I ride backwards on my Harley and steer with my arms behind me? I wanna see where I've been"

I'm not understanding the total lack of discipline (common sense if you will) when entering a hobby, when you obviously know you have to do a lot of research for it.... yet a lot of ppl just seem to be winging-it

nitrate(1).jpg
IMO most people who fail dont have a plan and stick to it from day one.
Winging it is a sure way to failure.
By the way my 03 cbr 954 would do 70+ in first gear before I changed the front and rear sprokets, lol.
I also know plenty of people who buy superbikes and cant ride.
Oh I rode a dirt bike when I was a kid. I know a few who are not alive today due to inexperience.
Those kind of people are in every hobby known.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 73 37.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 66 34.2%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.0%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.5%
Back