Disregard for reefing guidelines

Rubberfrog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Look at all these judgemental people. Don't worry about how I run my tank. If you don't like a question, don't answer it. Geez. Get a life. Go spend some time with your kids. Take your significant other on a date. Anything but worry about someone else's tank.

Auquanut

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone else seeing a dramatic rise of ppl that are new to the hobby and disregarding reefing guidelines?

Surely one would never go buy a rare type of dog without reading in depth on how to care for it, train it.... maybe ppl do just buy and figure it out later. What do i know?

I feel like a person in a Motorcycle Forum called Bike2Bike...with questions like,

"Is it okay to use first gear up until 65mph? And why does black smoke come out of my exhaust when I do this?"

"Can I ride backwards on my Harley and steer with my arms behind me? I wanna see where I've been"

I'm not understanding the total lack of discipline (common sense if you will) when entering a hobby, when you obviously know you have to do a lot of research for it.... yet a lot of ppl just seem to be winging-it

nitrate(1).jpg
Okay. Someone comes into the hobby unprepared and uneducated. Finds R2R and asks for help. HELP!! Just HELP!!! Don't whine, just HELP!!!!

We can berede the newcomer, and shame them into never asking the questions that SHOULD be asked by a newcomer, or we can supply the information they need and deserve.

Stickies and the search function are great, but nothing compares to real time interaction with a real person who can point us in the right direction (toward the stickies?). THAT'S WHAT WE'RE HERE FOR! To help each other, and be helped by each other. Can't we just do that? Do we really have to complain about it?

I'll be the first to admit that I wasn't well informed when I started. Kind, helpful people at the LFS and R2R helped me become the (slightly) more knowledgeable reefer that I am today without judging me. I deeply appreciate that, and hope I can pay it forward.

I'm sorry if this post is offensive. I try not to be confrontational, but come on guys... Do we really have to beat up the new reefers who are just trying to ask for help?

Jubei2006

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Same here Miami. I started with a 20 gallon Fancy Tail Guppies/FW. 45 years ago, the only saltwater information I could get was from local fish store and reading Aquarium Magazine. So I started a 55-gallon SFO. I made a couple mistakes,. Many survived. I learned that Seahorses would not eat anything but live brine. Later I find that 1 month of the year, live brine was not available at the lfs. Broke my heart to see 6 Seahorses starve.

I don't believe, for a second, that anyone gets into salt willie/nellie. The start-up cost just too high. jmo
Not entirely true on the saltwater set up costing a fortune. Get a 20 gallon tank, hangon back filter, heater, sand instead of gravel, salt or premade saltwater, maybe some live rock, and acouple of clownfish at petco. Yes they are going to die...but still cheaper than some of the other pets they have there. Could do it for what....250 to 300 bucks? Probably less.

PeterC99

Solarbenchmark.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone else seeing a dramatic rise of ppl that are new to the hobby and disregarding reefing guidelines?

Surely one would never go buy a rare type of dog without reading in depth on how to care for it, train it.... maybe ppl do just buy and figure it out later. What do i know?

I feel like a person in a Motorcycle Forum called Bike2Bike...with questions like,

"Is it okay to use first gear up until 65mph? And why does black smoke come out of my exhaust when I do this?"

"Can I ride backwards on my Harley and steer with my arms behind me? I wanna see where I've been"

I'm not understanding the total lack of discipline (common sense if you will) when entering a hobby, when you obviously know you have to do a lot of research for it.... yet a lot of ppl just seem to be winging-it

nitrate(1).jpg

Since you started this thread could you Please tell me where I can find the “official“ Reefing guidelines?

TheDragonsReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The problem starts with low quality pet stores imo. People whos employees dont know whats involved and just sell people a tank, hang on filter, and water and some fish the same day. These people think its no different than a gerbal or something and then they tell the customers its easy if you buy all this stuff.

Then said customer loses fish, has algae problems, etc and starts to realize hey this isnt so easy, let me do some research and then they come here. Honestly i dont have a problem with it, if i see someone needs help ill offer my knowledge if it saves some fish and coral. Typically just going off on these people only makes them leave and not help the fish.

PeterC99

Solarbenchmark.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A long time ago someone gave me an 8 gallon Nanocube so I found Nano-reef.com and read a sticky on how to start it.
Still doing the same thing.
Works for 400 gallons too.

Could you cite the link for sticky from Nano-reef.com?

LRT

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Missed you Zoa. Pure entertainment.
Use to be weekly, bi weekly but starting to get on a regular monthly cycle now;)?

Ryan Avery

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
People need to get off their high horses. I have learned so much more from my mistakes then anything else. Shaming new comers to the hobby is gross and not what we should be about. Of course people should do there homework before purchasing, but let’s not shame them when they come for help

PeterC99

Solarbenchmark.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nope, I cant find it. The place doesn't look the same as in 2007-8
Some of the pics are still there
post-26167-1231020849.jpg

This little girl is in her second year of vet school now.
post-26167-1242945653.jpeg
Who’s the beautiful young lady?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 29 15.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 24 13.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 108 58.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.5%
Back