Disregard for reefing guidelines

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I can definitely attest to being new and making mistakes that if I had read every article and unlimited dollars I wouldn’t have made any of the mistakes I did.
Simple answer is instant gratification.

Another hobby of mine is mountain climbing. Had I read every article on that as well I wouldn’t have failed my first attempt on Mt Rainier. I succeeded my second attempt however and went to climb another one 4K feet higher the next yea

Or how about firearms? Don’t get one until you are en expert with them?

We all enjoy the same thing on this forum and some are experts and others are beginning. We are all here to learn hopefully and apply that knowledge.

I will read as many posts as I can and ask as many questions I feel won’t get looked down on from the experts in here so I can be a bit more successful at this hobby just like my others.
I guarantee you - if you read 'all the articles' on QT or cycling under the 'stickies' - you would be growing African violets now. Frankly - some of the stickies (IHO) are not correct. There is a camaraderie (IMO) about asking a question and getting an answer - or a couple opinions. The only place I go on this forum - is the 'unanswered threads' section (for the most part) - and I have learned more reading those answers than any sticky.

OP
OP
ZoWhat

ZoWhat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok.... i guess I'm not done

So Ive been quietly trying to be fair to R2R and the Rev but anyone really wanting to build knowledge needs to CONSUME these articles by reading as many as possible

A lot of the same info is within R2R, just not as well organized

Last edited:

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

So Ive been quietly trying to be fair to R2R and the Rev but anyone really wanting to build knowledge needs to CONSUME these articles by reading as many as possible

Well - since many of the articles from that site are written by current members here - some people disagree with you. FWIW - I found it just as difficult to use as R2R. WHICH - is why people ask individual questions - and then - some are directed to threads, etc. In fact. If you ask a question on R2R - before you post - there are links below stating something like - has your question already been asked. I didnt agree with this before - but it does (a little bit) seem like you're just trying to stir things up) - which I'm accused of all the time lol

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

For the sake of discussion - read this 'well organized article' on powerhead - and explain how it would be beneficial today?

Biglew11

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I think everyone should research any new hobby they want to get into.

But I believe it's our job to give those who don't research, the information needed to get them out trouble and be successful, not ridicule them and make them want to get out of the hobby.

OP
OP
ZoWhat

ZoWhat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But I believe it's our job to give those who don't research, the information needed to get them out trouble and be successful, not ridicule them and make them want to get out of the hobby.
Hmmmmm. "Our job"
Interesting take....

For me? If it's an interesting question and peaks my interest... I'll throw my 2cents worth in.

But for a post where they obviously didn't follow protocol. .. idk man, im too ragged out to put forth the effort to either be pulled into an argument (cough cough, discussion) that gets me temporarily banned or have the person PMing with 10,000 questions

Last edited:

Little c big D

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmmmmm. "Our job"
Interesting take....

For me? If it's an interesting question and peaks my interest... I'll throw my 2cents worth in.

But for a post where they obviously didn't follow protocol. .. idk man, im too ragged out to put forth the effort to either start an argument or have the person PMing with 10,000 questions
I do feel that build threads aren't utilized enough. I've read more of those than anything. I've seen the trials and errors of so many. How their tanks run, their equipment. There's more viable and easier to find info than than IMO any where else. Leaves less questions to be blindly asked

snorklr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess nothing ever changes, and no new info is ever presented. I'll go back to some old AOL chat rooms from '96....
well basically thats the vintage of the NEWEST aquarium reference books i have...john tullock and martin moe...

Digitalfirex

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
How do you know they are disregarding guidelines? I never had a guideline when I purchased my tank. I made a lot of mistakes and learned most of my knowledge from the errors I made.
Most of the time I know because they tell you!!

Ie. "I know most people don't suggest tangs in my 60g size tank but my 5 tangs are doing fine, never had an issue..."

Gundy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
There are a lot of varying opinions being voiced here. I am one of the guys the OP is talking about. I had a reef tank and a 300 gallon fish only tank back in the 90’s but haven’t been in the hobby for the last 15 years.

I am now planning to do a large reef tank and am overwhelmed at all the research that I feel is necessary before I feel confident in beginning my project. I have spent countless hours reading different posts, researching different products and trying to learn how to be a responsible reef keeper.

I tend to agree with the OP in that some people don’t seem that educated and knowledge about how to be successful in this hobby. From the threads I have read, some lack considerable knowledge, some are very lazy reefers and get into trouble with their tanks because they neglect to do proper testing and maintenance and some just don’t have the needed equipment to keep their tank inhabitants healthy.

Perhaps I take reef keeping more seriously than others or I am overly worried about being successful with my new reef set up and wanting to avoid as many problems as I can. I know I have to wait for my tank to be built but I am using this time to learn as much as possible. I have a notebook with pages of notes full of things I have learned, concepts and possible equipment. I am trying to learn and understand reefing concepts that will keep me out of trouble when I get my tank set up.

Back