This guy is Extra Salty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I was a bit bored at work and was like hey let’s build something I figured why not better than dying of boredom..

I found a few pieces of acrylic and decided to make a “prototype” AIO.. about 15 minutes later coming off a laser cutter and some weld-on
93BE622E-9034-40AB-B272-F114E49A17F6.jpeg

Go ahead and critique it I know some of the pieces are not plumb but that’s just aesthetics.

After waiting 72 hours for the acrylic to fully cure, I water tested. With it full I do not have any sides that are bowing which is promising.
4792A636-65AB-4BC5-9968-5110514E85CC.jpeg

No leaks I’m going to see what I’m dealing with tomorrow, granted I used scalding hot water to test the seams as a factor for design failure.

I will update later this week

OP
OP
This guy is Extra Salty

This guy is Extra Salty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks great! It would take me 2 months of free time to build something this great!

Thank you! It was a design that I was kicking around in my mind for the past couple of months. I used all scrap acrylic and built it during my lunch

I think my next thing is going to be a dosing container.

theatrus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
53AFEA30-DB0F-4044-BBB1-16DD0CA2F0A4.jpeg
I managed to find a 90gph pump and got it up running it’s very nice using a laser cutter for exact measurements the flow going through the weird are sweet.. this might become a mini nem tank unless someone buys it lol

Second the laser cutter and effectively just hitting print out of CAD.

My mere 30W would mostly take two passes with the thicker material but it also controls the fan-out kerf if you refocus on the second pass.

theatrus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is .220 material one pass on the laser is fine I didn’t want a fire but if I was running it on a thermwood I would’ve done a second pass it looks cleaner IMO.. but also i don’t like running thicker material on the laser but good to know

Mine is an Epilog 12x24. .220 is about my limit too, still useful for small sumps.

Diamond1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like it!
The only thing I see is the return pump outlet is higher than the weir teeth and will cause a lot of micro bubbles.
Maybe make the weir teeth shorter or add a baffle to the front of the teeth that is adjustable so you can raise the water level?

OP
OP
This guy is Extra Salty

This guy is Extra Salty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A good friend of mine bought one of the prototypes for his store countertop and asked for a custom lid.

What do y’all think?
I think I might do the reverse etching on it cause it will make the image more crisp

Tank with lid:
7DFD85BD-20C1-42E3-B8F0-3B8D1D0CBDE0.jpeg

paper weight:
8D3C218C-DBD8-43F7-B03A-2AFE64D00B14.jpeg

(It was a test I accidentally cut the circle out on the lid and had to start over)

Captain Quint

Plank Owner of the Orca
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like this a lot. How many have you made?

My first two acrylic builds were rudimentary at best but my last was really nice.

I have some pics of it somewhere on the forum.

I do see you making these for sale and I believe you could/would sell some units. :)

OP
OP
This guy is Extra Salty

This guy is Extra Salty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like this a lot. How many have you made?

My first two acrylic builds were rudimentary at best but my last was really nice.

I have some pics of it somewhere on the forum.

I do see you making these for sale and I believe you could/would sell some units. :)
I have made roughly 10 units of the 5 gallon that friends and family has purchased for their office, some paid a bit extra to have etching done on the back wall or lid.

Love to see some in action pics! Might be cool
I will let you know when my friend (Corallivore corals) uploads a pictures/video of it in action.

Thanks for all the input!

I’m making some minor changes. I’ll post a picture of the media insert that may/may not come with it. I’ll probably just up the price and include it.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 148 88.6%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.8%
Back