AngryOwl

AngryOwl

Angry
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
any updates.. working well. ?

Not really, it's still on the tank and still running the same schedule after I got it to start growing. I maybe got a few decent harvests out of it but the algae remained more like gel than like hair algae. During this time my phosphates have ranged from nothing to .51 currently. I will be replacing this scrubber shortly.

Turbo's Aquatics

Super Duper Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've seen scrubbers take several months to transition from that type of growth to a more GHA thick type of growth.

One other thing I might add is that if your flow is too high, this can actually be a negative thing. The 35 GPH/in rule, IMO, is out the door. As long as you have enough flow to cover the entire screen, that's many times all you will ever need. In some cases, increasing the flow can help to push the scrubber harder, but there's a point of diminishing returns on flow.

Generally, it's a balance between the flow rate & nutrient levels, and the intensity & duration of the light. Those can affect growth types to some extent, but the wild card is the tank chemistry, which can shift over time and the result of that shift can be seen in the growth you get (if nothing else changes).

One of my scrubbers on my personal tank grew rather dense, matted, dark green growth with a layer of reddish-dark slime on top of the GHA (and when I turned off flow, it smelled like Anthelia when you take it out of the water) for several months (more than 4 IIRC) and then one day, growth just took off and the dark slime coating never came back.

chicago

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

techhnyne

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok i have some questions if anyone can please chime in
is there a equasion to use for tank size/square size/ and GPh that are most ideal?
i am setting up a 240 and would love to make surte i get this correct on the first try.
how do i test how much water is moving through the scrubber and down the net?
Also what color light do people find grow the best?

chicago

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thought i would share some pics.. here is DYI with lights..
Turf Scrubber New Lights (4).JPG
Turf Scrubber New Lights (3).JPG

Turbo's Aquatics

Super Duper Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
is there a equasion to use for tank size/square size/ and GPh that are most ideal?
Check the "basics" link website in my signature
how do i test how much water is moving through the scrubber and down the net?
One thing that hasn't been updated relates to this. After much observation, I'm officially tossing out the 35 GPH/in "rule". Start with enough flow to ensure full coverage - give it 2 or 3 days of operation to allow for the screen to build up a bit of an initial coating, which will result in a more evenly distributed flow pattern (sometimes you can get "rivers" initially). Basically, too little flow will result in the far end of the slot/screen not getting enough flow. Too much will result in "arcing" across the screen, leaving the input side with very little flow. You want just enough to be at or above the low end of the flow.

Then, leave it there for at least 3 weeks, if not 6. You may never have to change it. But if you do want to increase it, the 35 GPH/in is really the target maximum. Past that, increasing flow only helps in certain situations, and the vast majority will see no further benefit.

Also what color light do people find grow the best?
Deep Red and either Royal Blue or Violet will work, but those hit photosynthetic peaks right on the nose, so it's easy to cause photosaturation, especially on a new screen.

But instead of hijacking this thread, I recommend you post on the Basics thread: http://www.reef2reef.com/threads/algae-scrubber-basics.63113/

chicago

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
would it hurt if i put some clear cast acrylic half an inch from the screen to limit the water spray.. ? Like a clear cover..

Turbo's Aquatics

Super Duper Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, but it will probably warp. You only really need to protect the screen/slot junction, not the entire screen. Just the top half inch or so of the exposed screen. Streamers are your concern.

Turbo's Aquatics

Super Duper Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where is a good place to buy those screen and what’s called?
Darice #7 Mesh Plastic Canvas. You can get it online, but if you have any fabric stores near you like Jo-ann, they'll carry it. You can also sometimes find it at Wal-Mart in the knitting/yarn section.

You want to use the clear type, it's not really "clear" but it's not a solid/opaque color. #7 is the # of holes per inch, they also make 4 and 10 holes/in, but the #7 works the best IMO.

They also make an "ultra stiff" version, I personally don't like this as it is a bit tougher to rough up, and if it's warped or kinked, it will stay that way (hard to flatten out)

chicago

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
some updates pics.. interestingly these lights do a nice job.. do better on the outside focus of the light.. will see if the light is actually to strong in the center..

Turf Algea 5 18 18 (2).JPG

Turf Algea 5 18 18 (3).JPG

Gazela

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
[QUOTE = "TbyZ, post: 4152150, member: 77189"] Ето един светъл панел, който направих за екран със същия размер, колкото е гневен.
Моят скрубер има същото. но само на шест инча от 4 инча. същите характеристики
[ПРИЛОЖЕТЕ = пълно] 604696 [/ ПРИЛОЖЕТЕ]

Следващото е прогресията на растежа на водораслите на един от моите екрани.
Светодиодите бяха пуснати от началото на 700mA (не бяха регулируеми) и това е причината за растежа (насищане на снимките)
Никога не е имало друг растеж на водораслите, освен зелените водорасли. Голият бял екран никога не се остъргваше.

[ПРИЛОЖЕТЕ = пълно] 604697 [/ ПРИЛОЖЕТЕ]
[ПРИЛОЖЕТЕ = пълно] 604698 [/ ПРИЛОЖЕТЕ]
[ПРИЛОЖЕТЕ = пълно] 604699 [/ ПРИЛОЖЕТЕ] [/ цитат]

Hello, how long did it take to fill the entire screen with this diode setting?

chicago

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
these lights work well.. some thoughts.. though.. will need to replace some of the screws that attach the plastic covers .. they are rusting.. perhaps use some nylon or silicon over them.. not a big deal.. i worked some algea on the screen with my fingers.. in a few spots to seed. screen was fully covered in 4 weeks. last week scrapped my first load of algea.. about 3 to 5 lbs of it came off..

Gazela

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Това е много добро.
Имам само 3 седмици в края на екрана!
И се чудя какво става?

20180622_190643.jpg

Gazela

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
[QUOTE = "Газела, поща: 4844887, член: 76982"] Това е много добро.
Имам само 3 седмици в края на екрана!
И се чудя какво става?

[ПРИЛОЖЕТЕ = пълен] 773753 [/ ПРИЛОЖЕТЕ]

Ето още малко информация.
Пускам го 10 часа на ден, потокът е дори на екрана като лист.
Светодиоди 11 от всяка страна общо 22 бр. 660nm захранва с 500mAh.
Чудя се дали да поставя нещо в сянка, когато целият екран е пълен.

Turbo's Aquatics

Super Duper Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Gazela all your posts are in another language, Bulgariam? Also I would recomment starting your own thread, or posting in the "basics" thread (which is in a link in my signature below all my posts here)

Back