DIY Algae Scrubber not growing

Discussion in 'Do It Yourself (DIY)' started by AngryOwl, Oct 30, 2017.

1. AngryOwl

AngryOwl Well-Known Member

Also I need to cut that slot wider for sure, you can see its starting to jet a little bit.

2. AngryOwl

Yea that's the method I used. Every build thread really emphasized the importance of getting the screen rough so I paid more attention to getting it as rough as possible.

3. AngryOwl

Hmm, never heard of the black screen.

It looks like we might be starting to get green growth, picture doesn't show the color well but in person it's green. 20171108_223403.jpg

4. Floyd R Turbo

Floyd R Turbo Super Duper Member R2R Supporter Gold Sponsor Toys For Kids 2016 Article Contributor Partner Member 2018

I've always recommended against anything but the clear canvas (not even the white). The main reason is that the clear allows a small amount of light through it, and this might not seem like it matters, but on a screen lit from both sides, you do get some light through to the other side that can help keep the attachment points attached for a longer period of time. This allows you to let the screen grow longer, which is also better in general.

I know others have said the colored screens have a dye or pigment that is likely pretty low in amount but that coloration is not something that you would want to leech into your tank (the pigment/dye is not necessarily reef safe)

5. dromonk

dromonk Well-Known Member

How do i calculate screen size

6. Floyd R Turbo

Floyd R Turbo Super Duper Member R2R Supporter Gold Sponsor Toys For Kids 2016 Article Contributor Partner Member 2018

7. October Sky

October Sky Well-Known Member

Odd side question, has anyone attempted to heat up the screen prior to scoring it? I'm not talking to melting point, but maybe 150-160 degrees, could really aid in getting it pliable to accept the scrubber/saw/knife/whatever, while not immediately healing the wound as if it were at melting point.

8. Floyd R Turbo

I've tried many forms of heating in an attempt to find a way to adhere a layer of sand or grit in order to avoid having to rough up. I'll sum it up: don't bother. Others have tried to do similar things with aragonite, etc...the results are not very useful (i.e. turns to goo, completely deforms...)

9. AngryOwl

6 days since I installed the red Leds. This pic shows the growth a little better. Light schedule is 90% intensity and running for 12 or 13 hours. I didn't commit to running for 22 or 24 hours. So the only thing that changed was the 2 blue leds to red... will update more as the screen fills in.

20171111_104909.jpg

10. AngryOwl

So I'm getting growth finally. Only thing that changed was adding those extra reds and removing the blues. Just need to widen my slot since I'm getting some jets forming. No big deal. 20171115_183033.jpg

11. Floyd R Turbo

It's amazing how fast those streamers can form. Take some black ABS from a hobby store and bend it a few times to form a light blocker that you can slip over the pipe. If you take a piece as long as your pipe/screen and about 4" wide or so, bend it at about 90 degrees (maybe a wider angle like 120) right down the middle lengthwise, then make 2 other inward bends at about the 1/2 way point so that the tips hang down lower than the slot/screen junction, that will block light and spray at the same time

12. AngryOwl

hmm, I get what you're saying but having a hard time picturing what you're describing. Every time I go to the hobby store looking for stuff like this its never around. In in Houston so you'd think I'd have everything lol.

13. Floyd R Turbo

Basically a DIY version of this

Extruded 1.jpg

IMG_1821.jpg

14. AngryOwl

I've seen this material somewhere before. Like door or window flashing right?

15. Floyd R Turbo

This is extruded ABS, specific product. But it shows you the general idea of what I'm referring to. If you get a sheet of ABS, you can bend it into a similar shape.

Draft saved Draft deleted