DIY eel trap

Discussion in 'Do It Yourself (DIY)' started by Nad121, Apr 13, 2017.

1. Nad121

Nad121 Member

I have a 240 gallon fowlr that came down with ich. I was able to catch all the fish in a trap with the exception of a small longnose hawkfish and my 2.5 foot zebra moray eel.
    I designed a trap to catch the eel. I cut a piece of 2 1/2" pvc to about 2 foot long and capped one end. I then drilled several small holes around the pipe to help the pipe stay at the bottom and to allow the odor of food inside to escape. Finally I drilled two holes on the top of the open end. I tied a piece of fishing line through the holes.
    I put some krill in the tube and lowered it in the tank. Within 5 minutes the eel found the opening and went in to get the food. I lifted the tube using the fishing line and pulled him right out and into a waiting bucket.
    I didn't have to move anything in my tank to catch him, which made it great!
    Has anyone else had success by other means? 20170413_192953.jpg 20170413_193015.jpg 20170413_193023.jpg 20170413_193043.jpg

2. Engloid

Engloid Valuable Member VRJ Member

Nice work. I don't have an eel, but when I want to catch a fish, I just start feeding in a net for a few days. My fish will swarm all around a net if it's got food in it now. I occasionally get a fish that's a lot more stubborn. I have a one spot damsel that I can't catch. I think he just won't go around all the bigger fish that are feeding in the net.

3. Nad121

Nad121 Member

Thank you....I'm going to have to try the net trick for this hawkfish. He's the last one left so I can go fallow.

Draft saved Draft deleted