OP
Borat

Borat

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK, I ordered a non-return valve (aka check valve) that will be inline between ATO container and Kalk reactor..

So when peristaltic pump pumps Kalk water into mixing chamber and the tank in this very moment does not need RO water top-off, the water will be pushed back from mixing chamber into Kalk reactor..

kalk_reactor_diagram.JPG

OP
OP
Borat

Borat

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Today I changed the stirrer bar into a cross-bar: no more bar displacement and I can run PWM fan at high speeds..

cross_bar.JPG

..and added some shut-off valves

20211008_165221.jpg

laverda

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you will find you need to add much less kalk then your planning depending on the size of your system. I would move the pump to between you RO source and pump into the kalk container. Also there should be no need for a separate mixing container.

OP
OP
Borat

Borat

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you will find you need to add much less kalk then your planning depending on the size of your system. I would move the pump to between you RO source and pump into the kalk container. Also there should be no need for a separate mixing container.
Thanks. Kalk residue (however small) seem to block the float valve if I don't have a sediment chamber.. I tried removing it but it wasn't a good idea, I found out - so I moved it back but reduced it in size..

No - pumping into Kalk container would not work: the line from RO container and tank most of the time is closed- by the float valve in the sump (unless water evapororates and it opens to let RO water in). As per current design, if the top-off RO water is not needed (at some point in time - float valve is closed) - the water recirculates back into Kalk reactor..

OP
OP
Borat

Borat

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How much kalk do you dose in your system? I have a 420L system and dose 2ml/min (24/7), which is about 3L/day, this is pretty much the maximum I can add given average evaporation rate of 1% per day..

laverda

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like your running your stirrer and feed pump constantly.
How much kalk do you dose in your system? I have a 420L system and dose 2ml/min (24/7), which is about 3L/day, this is pretty much the maximum I can add given average evaporation rate of 1% per day..
That is a lot considering you said you goal was primarily to raise PH and not increase your Alk or CA level.
I dose much less and only at night to help keep the PH higher and steady.

OP
OP
Borat

Borat

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like your running your stirrer and feed pump constantly.

That is a lot considering you said you goal was primarily to raise PH and not increase your Alk or CA level.
I dose much less and only at night to help keep the PH higher and steady.
One needs to dose quite a lot to raise PH... your personal target to raise it is probably marginal (0.1PH)? Mine is quite chronically low - so I need a constant boost. I also have an Alk monitor that dumps 500ml of PH4 used water each day into tank - that contributes to low PH issues.

laverda

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it works for you that is all that matters. I am raising my Ph .2-.3
I dose for 5 min every 30 minutes for 12 hours each night.

OP
OP
Borat

Borat

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You have mad skills! No leaks?
No mad skills here :) - just a bit of experience I built over time by doing various projects.. No leaks either - if you know how to make reactor chambers - they will probably be as reliable as commerically made ones if not better..

I made a DIY CaRx earlier this year- learnt a lot of lessons as a result and building this reactor chamber + stirrer was very easy..

OP
OP
Borat

Borat

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After 10 days the magnetic stirrer bar seemingly stopped.. but after careful inspection (listing to the reactor) I realised that the stirrer bar is still spinning inside, just not being visible under Kalk layer. I let it run "as is" and after a day I noticed a small crater in Kalk that the stirrer bar formed. Now the crater became much larger - and the water above it very clear.

Today I increased the speed to 60% PWM duty (from 40% previously) - but I think it's all fine, as it spins fast (and 24/7), it must be dissolving Kalk media as required.. I may add a rotary encoder to the stirrer in order to be able to adjust the stirrer speed depending on the amount of Kalk available. By weekend I will have most of Kalk being used up - and will top it off accordingly.. I can also remove the clock - initiailly I thought the stirrer would work periodically on timer, but it appears that it needs to run continously.,

OP
OP
Borat

Borat

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok there is a significant change of direction: powering the stirrer with a computer fan is not working well. The problem is that the fan has low toqrque at low speed - the stirrer bad experiences significant resistance from Kalk especially after some time when Kalk settles..

Increasing speed makes the fan "snap" displacing the stirrer bar from central position making it spin on its axes instead..

So I need a motor that has high torque at (ultra) low speed - that's stepper motor.. I bought a 1.5A Nema 17 stepper and a TMC2209 driver for it - now working to replace the fan with the stepper motor...

OP
OP
Borat

Borat

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Built a motor head - that allows me to flexibly change magnetic plates

20211103_125317.jpg

20211103_134316.jpg

OP
OP
Borat

Borat

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK the new stirrer is ready - and is working well.. relatively slow stirring, working in bursts every 30 seconds.

20211105_125703.jpg
20211105_125735.jpg

20211105_125730.jpg

20211105_135451.jpg

20211105_125711.jpg

OP
OP
Borat

Borat

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had to change the stirrer bit - it stopped working the following morning..

Basically the magnetic field is not strong enough (there is 9mm distance between stirrer plate magnet and the stirrer bit magnet: 5mm acrylic + 3mm petri dish + 1mm clerance gap) and stirrer bit's magnets are quite weak. I doubled magnets at stirrer plate and also built this DIY stirrer ring with double magnets on each side: 6mm diameter, 6mm height, 1.6KG pull..

Finally my reactor is working well - and the tank PH is now hovering around 8.0!

20211106_145828.jpg

OP
OP
Borat

Borat

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
PH is now at 8.15 - and should go higher once I implement a separate dosing line for Kalk reactor

20211107_085327.jpg

20211107_085333.jpg

OP
OP
Borat

Borat

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The code for stirrer..

I changed it somewhat since (not in the version attached) - it now works in bursts, i.e. non-continously. Every 120 seconds it works for 15 seconds and then waits..

Average energy usage is now about 3w.

Attachments

• Kalk_Reactor_Stepper.txt
    2.2 KB · Views: 37
OP
OP
Borat

Borat

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I came up with an even better stirrer bit design (not yet done it - but will do it next time I open the reactor lid) - I will use the existing ring piece to slope clock-wise fins while leaving counter-clockwise sides unsloped (as they are on the picture above). Because the stepper motor can be made to rotate clock-wise or counter-clockwise, the stirring process would work as follows:
- every 2 minutes it's normal stirring, moving the bit counter-clockwise (non-sloped side of protruding fins are stirring), the slurry would remain suspended in the bottom 20cm of reactor body
- every [20] minutes it's major stirring, moving clock-wise. The slurry will shoot upwards inside Kalc reactor as the sloped sides will act as propeller...

Almost certain this will work brilliantly - I will post pictures/videos in due coarse (probably tomorrow). This modification should only take about 5min to complete.. In the meantime - the existing stirrer bit works flawlessly and it's 100% silent!

20211106_145828.jpg

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.7%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 36.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 30.4%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 27 23.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back