DIY Radion power supply replace/repair for $25

tygger

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Old thread, but thank you for posting this. Buying a couple for backup. Price down to $15 now.

Philt56

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I need a longer power cord that goes from the xr30 white ballast to the wall outlet. Are there any specific specs I need to check for buying a replacement? I could just add an extension cord but this would look cleaner.

uglyman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are just a standard computer power cord and you can get longer cords.

Arif

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Due to an unfortunate event I burned up my Radion power supply by getting it wet a few months back and $309 to replace it seemed like a big rip off. Well I decided to open it up and take a look at the board and it was basically just a run of the mill Chinese power supply. I then decided to get the specs off the Radion power supply box then entered them into google search and wallah a replacement from china for $25. It fit perfect in the Radion power supply case and runs great. I really wanted to share this with everyone the fix was 10 minutes and its working flawlessly. Photos are on my cell I will post them separately in a moment.

S-150-36 36V 4.2A Iron Case Power Supply Transformer - Worldwide Free Shipping - DX
did you have to solder anything? con eds power issues fried my power supplies

chk4tix

Algae farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know this is an old thread but I wanted to thank the OP. This saved me a few hundred and is very easy.
To answer Arif, no you do not need to solder, you could if you wanted to extend the "on" led or voltage switch, but its definitely note needed to run.

Koigula

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone know that 3 wire IP65 connector plug size? Original poster just reused his from case.

I have 2 industrial PULS 36V din rail power supplies and I really do not want to cut the 3 wire if I ever want to sell them. Ecotech sells the 3 wire extension for 50 usd so I assume I can get cable for 10 somewhere. I need 3 of 3 pin pig tails to connect to din rail industrial power supply.

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Due to an unfortunate event I burned up my Radion power supply by getting it wet a few months back and $309 to replace it seemed like a big rip off. Well I decided to open it up and take a look at the board and it was basically just a run of the mill Chinese power supply. I then decided to get the specs off the Radion power supply box then entered them into google search and wallah a replacement from china for $25. It fit perfect in the Radion power supply case and runs great. I really wanted to share this with everyone the fix was 10 minutes and its working flawlessly. Photos are on my cell I will post them separately in a moment.

S-150-36 36V 4.2A Iron Case Power Supply Transformer - Worldwide Free Shipping - DX
Looks like a driver for leds

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The first power supply went out after 3 months I replaced it again with no issues so far. Keep in mind this replaced the insides of existing radion power supplied I would have no clue how to wire them up without the original radion cases.
Might put tiny axle fan on it

Koigula

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Want to run excotechs off a industrial grade din rail power supply not a chinese power supply and need a pigtail connector.

I tested a 3 pin xlr connector is ever so slightly smaller than a standard xlr connector.

I am fairly certain it is an IP65 3M DMX cable that are watertight. Making 4 pigtails from these is whole lot cheaper than from aquarium supply store.

https://www.fullcompass.com/prod/287208-elation-six-par-3mdlc-sixpar-3mdlc

Last edited:

Koigula

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not an exact match for Gen 3 Ecotech cable. The three pin is obsolete and getting a maxwell ballast for 36v 4amp just to get the adapter is INSANE.

Ill just snip wire and cut my loses.

ahlanec

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can anyone tell me which wire goes to which or have a picture of one connected so i can copy, im not hardware savy and my husband refuse to get involved.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 54 40.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 20.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 35.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back