DIY RODI with Greensand Filter

Johnd651

Getting back in after 10+ years
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I live on a well with heavy Iron and manganese. Because of this I experimented with a whole bunch of whole home filtration until I found a good combination, that lasts. Because of this, I also ended up with some extra canisters and parts that I am thinking about re purposing into a DIY RODI. I did read up on some of the other threads about cost and benefits of all in one systems, but at this point, my regular whole home filtration is already half way there.

My current setup is: Well -> 200 micron spin down sediment filter -> 100 micron spin down sediment filter -> 50 micron pleated filter -> automated/selfwashing greensand filter with some carbon on top -> Water softner.

So i don't quite remember, but even after all the filtration, before the water softner, I am getting some moderately hard water, but a standard water softner is able to bring it down rest of the way.

I have 2 empty 4.5"x10" canisters laying around, and was thinking about plumbing them after the water softner with a 5 micron sediment cartridge and carbon filter. At this point, all I would need is a RO membrane and one more canister for DI resin ( I was thinking one of the small 10" canisters with a clear refillable cartridge and color changing resin.

Thoughts? Recommendations?

Thanks

Reefs and Geeks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you saying that you basically want to install an RODI after your current house water filtration, but instead of buying a ready unit, you're looking to buy it piece-wise so you can save a bit of money since you already have 2 empty filter housings that you can add a sediment filter and carbon element to, then buy the RO filter and DI filter to add to complete your system? If that's what you're asking, I think it would work just fine, but don't know if there'd be any real cost savings over buying a ready made unit or not. Functionality wise I wouldn't see an issue with that though.

Opus

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, what you are proposing would work. Would it save you money, maybe. You would have to run the numbers and see if buying a "kit" was cheaper than buying the parts you need. You will also need a tds meter, I prefer the handheld ones, and you may need a pump if your water pressure is not high enough to run the ro unit. You might also want to consider going with 1 micron or lower pre-filters. Also, there is the possibility you my have high CO2 levels from the well which will eat thru the DI resin.

OP
OP
Johnd651

Johnd651

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, there is the possibility you my have high CO2 levels from the well which will eat thru the DI resin.

As far as the CO2, I have not checked, but the greensand filter actually has an "oxygen" reaction layer on top to help oxidize some of the impurities to make it easier for the the filter media to remove them.

Overall, I was just trying to use up the two extra canisters. Even if it is cheaper to just buy a unit, should I setup the two canisters with something else to protect the RODI units, almost pre-filter before the prefilter?

Opus

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As far as the CO2, I have not checked, but the greensand filter actually has an "oxygen" reaction layer on top to help oxidize some of the impurities to make it easier for the the filter media to remove them.

Overall, I was just trying to use up the two extra canisters. Even if it is cheaper to just buy a unit, should I setup the two canisters with something else to protect the RODI units, almost pre-filter before the prefilter?

Only way to really know is to take a sample of your product water and send it in for testing to see what is in it. As long as there isn't anything really high that would need a special filter a normal 2 or 3 stage prefilter should work. If you know someone with a hand held tds meter or a lfs, finding out your tds is also a good idea.

Reef-junky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would just buy a 4 stage filter and turn it into a 6 stage. I like the inline TDS meters my self. You could run two sediment and two carbon filters.

OP
OP
Johnd651

Johnd651

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would just buy a 4 stage filter and turn it into a 6 stage. I like the inline TDS meters my self. You could run two sediment and two carbon filters.

I like it... didn't even think of that.

As for water results...I found some old ones, but this was prior to me installing the water softner. Everything was ND, pH of 7.8, hardness of 12 grains, TDS of 750ppm. I was already running 50 micron sediment, and carbon at this point.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 6.3%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.9%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 4.7%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 103 80.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.7%
Back