Do Algae Reactors Work, And Worth It?

bk_market

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you think an Aquamaxx reactor XS (the smallest one) will work for this or it too small to even work?

OP
OP
Forsaken77

Forsaken77

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you think an Aquamaxx reactor XS (the smallest one) will work for this or it too small to even work?

Depends on the tank size. I was going to get the really tall one, wrap some led's, and vinyl wrap it with black vinyl to keep the light in. Keeping the light in is a big part of it or algae will grow all over the sump, as well as the foam pads to keep the clippings in. That's why I'm probably not going with the Skimz model. It's way overpriced and has no way to keep light and clippings in. Granted, it's made better, but they neglected to address two big factors of containing the algae.

HolisticBear

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keeping the light in is a big part of it or algae will grow all over the sump, as well as the foam pads to keep the clippings in.

Many people run macro-algae in part of their sump and have a fuge light, that has light spill, so it doesn't seem like this is any worse than people who mount a Kessil a80 or whatever over their sump. Right?

bk_market

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank size is 30. I have limited space under my tank. It is not on a typical tank stand. I got ~9" clearance under the cabinet.
I was thinking of buying the XS model which will fit at 8.5" but maybe the whole thing is too small to make it worth running a refugium compare to my other option which is running it in one of the small chambers in my IM AIO tank.

Another option for me was to buy the big BRS canister or TLF 150 reactor and run chaeto in it. But with these 2 options, I will have to run them laying down sideway instead of standing vertically. One issue could be leaking water from TLF one as from the picture, the top look weak (i dont have one to test). The BRS canister is pretty tight screw in lid so I assume that be okay (this look similar to my RODI canister). LED light will be wrap over them as normal. What do you guys think?

OP
OP
Forsaken77

Forsaken77

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Many people run macro-algae in part of their sump and have a fuge light, that has light spill, so it doesn't seem like this is any worse than people who mount a Kessil a80 or whatever over their sump. Right?

I used to be one of those people. Unless you have an enormous ball of chaeto to out compete all other algae, you will have algae growing all over the sump (At least where the light hits if it's a clear walled sump).

That's the point of the reactor. To keep the algae contained, because it makes a mess after you trim it, pieces go flying everywhere. And that's why the Skimz is made of black acrylic, to keep light in. It just doesn't do a good enough job. That's why one of the guys on page 1 here has pics if his reactor vinyl wrapped with a heat gun to keep the lights dry, in case they aren't waterproof, and to keep light in. This is mainly for nutrient export and control, not for growing pods.

OP
OP
Forsaken77

Forsaken77

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank size is 30. I have limited space under my tank. It is not on a typical tank stand. I got ~9" clearance under the cabinet.
I was thinking of buying the XS model which will fit at 8.5" but maybe the whole thing is too small to make it worth running a refugium compare to my other option which is running it in one of the small chambers in my IM AIO tank.

Another option for me was to buy the big BRS canister or TLF 150 reactor and run chaeto in it. But with these 2 options, I will have to run them laying down sideway instead of standing vertically. One issue could be leaking water from TLF one as from the picture, the top look weak (i dont have one to test). The BRS canister is pretty tight screw in lid so I assume that be okay (this look similar to my RODI canister). LED light will be wrap over them as normal. What do you guys think?

You could put it anywhere, like on a bucket next to the tank. All you need is the pump in the tank, or back of your AIO, and hose going to the reactor and then back to the filter in back. Doesn't necessarily have to be under the tank.

bobyboy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aquafuge HOB is probably the best bet IMO if you have the room next to your sump

Doubbler

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My fuge barely grows cheato. I think I'm switching to the algea reactor

nova65ss

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm setting one up now from an old zeo reactor I like the black vinyl wrap thanks for the idea. I am in the process of ordering a longer led strip thought what I ordered would be enough. Plan on putting it on a stand in about 5" of water so the LEDs don't get wet just don't trust em!
16b99c2f25e702411da53f439d129238.jpg

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A properly sized ATS will go about 4 weeks before needing cleaned actually longer than a chaeto reactor but you can build a reactor for less money and take up less room.
Mines properly sized and needs harvesting every week. I run an Atlantis 2 on my 100 gallon and feed 3 times a day, that is what it's sized for.
c3b48141aea14acae323bc793bf28ce9.jpg

57buick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fact #1. For a refugium to be effective it usually has to be as big as your display or bigger.
Fact#2. Algae scrubbers and Algae reactors are much more efficient than a refugium because they are concentrated with more intense light with no bleeding loss.
Fact #3. Algae scrubbers and algae reactors absolutely reduce nutrient loads depending on the size ratio to display tank

And no matter what some nay sayers throw around, there really is no down side to running one. Large public aquariums use algae scrubbers because its so much more efficient. Yes you can run a tank without them. But my goal is a natural running tank without having using chemicals like Carbon and GFO

drsalomon

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run an aquamaxx chaeto reactor with amazon light strips. It works well to completely control nitrate but phosphate is still outpacing it and I need to use GFO. I have been able to discontinue all vodka dosing and the tank pH and overall PE has improved massively. The problem is that the light strips deliver extremely low par compared to Kesil fuge light. But a <2 gal chaeto reactor is completely sufficient to control nitrate in a 120 gal heavily fed system so it works good enough.

WilRams

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After looking at the Skimz reactor at Reefapalooza last weekend I decided I will be modding one to fit my needs. I want to run it off of a manifold vs the pump it comes with. I would love an Arid reactor but the price is nuts.

For my AIO in my living room I think I will go Aquamaxx DIY. I wonder how the black vinyl affects the LED since I'm assuming heat dissipation is gone?

Reef man 89

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought the Aquamax reactor with the LED strip from MD. I don't know if that LED is not the right spectrum to grow cheato. I had it set up and the cheato was turning brown and white pretty much dieing on me. I was only running it 10 hours a day when my DT light were off. So I thought that I didn't have enough nutrients but after testing came up with 7-8ppm no3 and .005ppm po4. So I know that's not the problem. The light strip that it came with was a warm white light. Do you guys think I should try a different light with more red and blues vs just plain white light?

scriptmonkey

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So while the o-ring I still hate, I cannot argue with the results. I started with a baseball size from algaebarn.com and in the matter of a few weeks it has pretty much grown about 300%. What i did was split the bunch in half into two 4oz clumps and I put 4 back in the reactor and pitched what you see in the bowl. As you can see it is a nice green color and was pretty firm in texture.

20170629_202835.jpg

Added the candle for scale.

dodgerblew

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I too, like Maximus, run an ARID reactor same size. I was fortunate as I bought mine direct from the manufacturer prior to distributors and the higher price. My reactor in two weeks looks identical to Sang's pic. Just a solid cylinder of cheato.

SteadyC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
TLF150 with wrap around LED grow lights on my 30 gallon seahorse tank. Very cheap. I only have this and a nano protein skimmer for nutrient control. Seashore tanks are messy, nitrate and phosphate are in Check
20170629_190119.jpg

Maximus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I too, like Maximus, run an ARID reactor same size. I was fortunate as I bought mine direct from the manufacturer prior to distributors and the higher price. My reactor in two weeks looks identical to Sang's pic. Just a solid cylinder of cheato.
Awesome! I need to harvest again soon as the cylinder is full. Rik, how much chaeto do you leave inside the reactor after you harvest? I leave about 1/4 full.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 39 32.5%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 23.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 19.2%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back