Do I Have Ammonia? (Pic)

JumboShrimp

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just adding my 2-cents about that particular API ammonia test kit. It is so hard to distinguish between 0.00 and 0.25. Even a “0” tends to never look pure yellow, but somewhat greenish. I agree with one of your first replies— you are at “0” with that kit. Best wishes!

OP
OP
Kinghugo5

Kinghugo5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Linked on page one of our cycle thread under types of cycle descriptions #1, well done. Darn good info thread + follow up

Can you post just a semi close-up pic of your live rock spotty coralline we gotta tie in a visual

Barry's mention of curing live rock in a nano is worth detailing, we have a section for it in our thread because that kind of live rock has visual cues just the same which allow us to verify it, and utilize it, without testing (anticipating that die off he mentioned)

The die off overwhelms inherent bac; cleaning most of it off before you use the rock in tank to continue curing is one way to speed up/allowing it to cure and wait is another/not buying that kind but rather simple coralline live rock is another cuz it's always ready

The visual cues for uncured ocean rock are that it's so nice, nobody else's live rock on the whole board looks like it :) so be skeptical of it being ammonia free.

It will have a diversity/coloration/salad-like plant growth all around, possibly tunicates and sponges, free corals etc you can't find this rock after a few years on average Joe or Jane's reef tank thread here or anywhere, because aquariums typically select down to coralline and the usual visual attachments we're used to given time.

We show pictures of that type of rock vs common live rock, nothing fancy, to show these are two different classes of live rock with fully predictable ammonia profiles.

Dry rock

Vs uncured ocean rock

Vs the ever-trustworthy, drain tolerating, smells normal at the lfs, nothing dead and rotting cloudy in the vat the rock sets in for display, relocating from LFS to home is a breeze common live rock

I will get some close ups when I get home from work today! Thanks!

rkpetersen

walked the sand with the crustaceans
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I cycled my Biocube with aquacultured live rock, and even with fresh rock shipped straight from the Gulf, I had significant die-off and ammonia levels at 8+ppm. I'd be very concerned about watching ammonia in a tank with livestock right off the bat, even with well-seeded live rock.
Yes this will absolutely happen. The only way to avoid significant live rock die off is to purchase it cured from an lfs and then immediately get it home into aged saltwater.

OP
OP
Kinghugo5

Kinghugo5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As promised, here are some close ups of my live rock from the LFS.

Let me know what you all think!

A2261B63-DD62-499F-80C6-C759FAB26C72.jpeg

1D6DDE99-47C5-43A9-A646-FC38316FFC8D.jpeg

E42BA880-435B-4E44-89DA-6A556A7D0A56.jpeg

OP
OP
Kinghugo5

Kinghugo5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also - just tested all levels and tested ammonia with API and Salifert. All levels zero after last night’s test.

For what it’s worth, here’s a pic of the set up. Just cleaned the protein skimmer of some gunk for the first time, too.

13BB16EF-4EBE-4367-BA44-696296B2E4A3.jpeg

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Excellent

Want to add something about what's coming, algae

That light is white heavy, it's coming but of no particular concern/just handy to be ready

Not trying to take over anyone's long term algae ideas, many ways/skin etc

But in that tank owing to rules of access, that entire rock scape can be parted out and laying on the counter within twenty minutes, it's a long time till corals glue that all into place and add to excuses people provide for letting algae initially take over, when posting finalities in a problem algae thread

My reco: apply before an invasion, what we have them do to an invasion, but act on the first growth, no hesitation which is the cause of algae... Not nutrients, or too white light, they're just increments of cause

Simple formula until a better one comes along: see algae, remove rock to kitchen counter. Use knife, debride the algae off precisely like a dentist works on plaque, rough and precise. Peroxide the former spot of algae not the actual algae like everyone does.

Spot is now fixed, total takeover for the 10% averted. Continue applying everyone's algae prevention idea hoping you never have to repeat surgery. If you ever need to repeat, do, and photo/tag us we will link that to other work threads. I have five thousand friends online in private chat who'd give their eye teeth to go back in time with the investment and be decisive, day one, even though it all sounded crazy until they lost the hard work

If your algae prevention steps are so good you don't need surgery, then don't run it. We demonstrate how to access, if you need to, with precision

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 44 16.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 17 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 33 12.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 156 57.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.0%
Back