Do I have the proper lighting?

GreenOnions

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, this is my second post. I am pretty lost when it comes to lighting even though I have researched. It is all pretty confusing to me. Anyway, I bought this light since it was going to be a fish only tank. I’m now thinking of getting an anemone so I want to make sure I have correct lighting. I realize that you get what you pay for but I am low income right now. I have attached two pics of the light. If you need more info, just let me know. Thank you
IMG_0634.png
IMG_0633.png

Peair

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, this is my second post. I am pretty lost when it comes to lighting even though I have researched. It is all pretty confusing to me. Anyway, I bought this light since it was going to be a fish only tank. I’m now thinking of getting an anemone so I want to make sure I have correct lighting. I realize that you get what you pay for but I am low income right now. I have attached two pics of the light. If you need more info, just let me know. Thank you
IMG_0634.png
IMG_0633.png
You don't have to worry too much if you don't have corals, just get a regular LED that doesn't cost too much.

The_Paradox

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You don't have to worry too much if you don't have corals, just get a regular LED that doesn't cost too much.

They want to get an anemone. Depending on the type that’s not going to work. If you’re balln on a budget you could use that light and supplement it with a single higher power pendant style light in the area you plan to put the anemone.

Peair

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They want to get an anemone. Depending on the type that’s not going to work. If you’re balln on a budget you could use that light and supplement it with a single higher power pendant style light in the area you plan to put the anemone.
The problem with anemones is that they move around alot, they move from area to area allot, you don't want to concentrate a light in one area, if it was myself I would get a low cost spectrum light that has good white lighting that will cover the whole tank.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
IMG_0634.png
IMG_0633.png
Likely Low wattage and inadequate

Peair

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you think the light I purchased is enough lighting for an anemone?
I think at your stage it would be fine, since you are on a budget you will probably get something like a condy, and I think it will do ok, try and get some flow, they will live longer, now when you get into corals that's a whole different story, you would need something like a maxspect jump with full adjustable spectrum, and a schedule, but that's down the road and it's big bucks.

Last edited:

The_Paradox

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The problem with anemones is that they move around alot, they move from area to area allot, you don't want to concentrate a light in one area, if it was myself I would get a low cost spectrum light that has good white lighting that will cover the whole tank.

I’ll bite. Why don’t you want to concentrate light in one area?

ScottJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_0634.png
IMG_0633.png
This shows a fresh water light. Don't you want a marine light?

fushi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
A marine specific led would be a lot better. I would return that light and go for a Nicrew or Smatfarm, their spectrums have been tested by a few members on this form. I have a Smatfarm led it is great for the price.
They may be other cheaper options if you do a search on reef2reef for “cheap Chinese lights”. There are a few people that have taken the time to test spectrum and par.
@telegraham instagram is also a great resource.

60 watt Smatfarm
Nicrew

Rob Biederman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_0634.png
IMG_0633.png
I don’t that is enough light to support a nem. There are budget saltwater lights that can make it happen.

tzabor10

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This Smatfarm is running my 5 anemone system just fine. But I plan to upgrade soon. I would personally not recommend a Condy anemone. Long tentacle, and bubble tips reproduce easily and you might find some very affordable options at a local club or on facebook marketplace.

Attachments

• IMG_3526.jpeg
    IMG_3526.jpeg
    87.5 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_3525.jpeg
    IMG_3525.jpeg
    217.8 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_3527.jpeg
    IMG_3527.jpeg
    199.9 KB · Views: 32

Reefing102

Metal Halides Til The End
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is insufficient for any photosynthetic anemone in my opinion unless your tank is less than a foot deep.

If you really want an anemone, I’d look into possibly either Lomonie, Smat Farm, NiCrew or even Viparspectra or similar

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_0634.png
IMG_0633.png
The complete dimensions of your tank help.

The_Paradox

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Because the condy's move around alot, so it's best not to concentrate in one area.

Because it could not move to lower or higher light if it wanted? Is it the mass of the extra photons that draw it in and lock it in the higher light area? Does this phenomenon also apply to areas higher in the tank where there is more light?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 32 16.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 116 58.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 13 6.6%
Back