Do I have the proper lighting?

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry but that $40 light is not going to work on a 55 gallon tank, if it did we would all do it.

Reef lights for a 55 gallon tank will run several hundred dollars, and very realistically can go into the thousands.

Peair

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Because it could not move to lower or higher light if it wanted? Is it the mass of the extra photons that draw it in and lock it in the higher light area? Does this phenomenon also apply to areas higher in the tank where there is more light?

Because it could not move to lower or higher light if it wanted? Is it the mass of the extra photons that draw it in and lock it in the higher light area? Does this phenomenon also apply to areas higher in the tank where there is more light?
It's not the mass of the extra photons, or any phenomenon, condy's naturally by nature like to move around a lot, especially when they are introduced into the tank, they will probably move around 80 to 90 times, take a rest for a while then eventually move around the tank again, so again it’s best to have a spectrum light with good white lighting, that’s what they like most, to cover the Whole tank.

Peair

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's not the mass of the extra photons, or any phenomenon, condy's naturally by nature like to move around a lot, especially when they are introduce into the tank, they will probably move around 80 to 90 times, take a rest for a while then eventually move around the tank again, so again it’s best to have a spectrum light with good white lighting, that’s what they like most, to cover the Whole tank.

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 55 gallon tank. 48”x21”
So a standard 55 gal. 12" wide 21 deep.
I'm not going to debate the "suitable for" part but the light is like 19 watts which will be low par at the substrate level.

As an example.. 2 48" Beamswork DA-Fspecs can probably put you at about 100 par at the substrate level.
colr temp of these lights ias around 12000k-ish.
48" is listed at like 60W but that is system watts.

So they can be "suitable for marine" in a sense.
These are one of my least fav fw look lights. Too cool.
But they are relatively cheap, been around a long time and decent power/$
The below par chart is for one 24" light btw:

Cost is $70 each and a timer/dimmer is optional @ about $15.
Search Amazon

DA FSPEC LED Aquarium Light Pent Freshwater(120cm - 48")​

Biggest issue w/ your tank is the 4/1 L/W ratio. Hard to "do" pucks especially symmetrical.
Even the "black boxes" are problematic because you really need 2.. bringing the cost up to $300 currently.

TX_REEF

Kessil Fanboy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
agreed with above, that light is not sufficient for an anemone in a 55 gallon tank. Hold off on the nem and save up some $ for a proper light, and let your system mature. Regardless of light, anemones also do not tend to survive in young systems.

telegraham

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This thread is wandering like the old lady driver in Ferris Bueller's Day Off.

@GreenOnions ... I know that limited budget feel. Because you're cool enough to ask, I've ordered the light and will share real data. I can also compare this light to others I've personally tested. Cool? Keep it for now.

Something to consider is that all of the white LEDs on your light will probably shine the same 450nm that all of our reef lights offer.

DM me if you have more questions. As for some of the recommendations, I also have the Nicrew and SmatFarm lights. They are great for coral, but that's something, for now, you don't need. More to follow.

-Jim

telegraham

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And worth sharing that opinions are like ba-holes...everyone has one and most of them stink. That's why I like data.

P.S. I'm not expecting the intensity to be enough, but it'll be a fun exercise! It'll arrive tomorrow.

telegraham

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here’s a quick look. Your light’s spectrum will keep your nems happy. I’ll do a more formal test later.
IMG_7850.jpeg

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 135 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.9%
Back