Do I need to add aggressive fish?

Reef J

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had a 125gal for 3 years now. Currently have a 3 inch hippo tang, royal gramma, longnose hawkfish, 2 clowns(don’t know what type they look the same to me), midas Blenny, mandarin and chromie. I’ve tried to add fire fish, Banggai cardinal, Anthias and other pretty laid back fish. The problem is they get picked on and eventually killed or had to rehome new additions. Am I at a point where I need to add aggressive fish so they can hold their own against the current bullies? Any suggestions on new additions

OP
OP
Reef J

Reef J

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had a 125gal for 3 years now. Currently have a 3 inch hippo tang, royal gramma, longnose hawkfish, 2 clowns(don’t know what type they look the same to me), midas Blenny, mandarin and chromie. I’ve tried to add fire fish, Banggai cardinal, Anthias and other pretty laid back fish. The problem is they get picked on and eventually killed or had to rehome new additions. Am I at a point where I need to add aggressive fish so they can hold their own against the current bullies? Any suggestions on new additions
BTW everyone gets along fine now but I can’t add anything new

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly, if your fish get along now I’d leave it and let them live in harmony. In those 3 years how long was it between your most recent addition (The newest established fish you have) and now?

OP
OP
Reef J

Reef J

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly, if your fish get along now I’d leave it and let them live in harmony. In those 3 years how long was it between your most recent addition (The newest established fish you have) and now?
About 3-4 months ago. So am I stuck with what I have? Im kind of bored (love them all but would like to add more) with the fish I have? Lots of open water most except tang keep to themselves and out of the water column. Doesn’t look like a lot of fish swimming around. Everyone is healthy and eating but not the most active

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an aggressive/semi aggressive set up so when add fish I have to add ones that can hold their own and it takes about a day for my current fish to realize the new one wont be bullied and then all is well again but thats how I planned my tank, so I know for sure I couldnt add peaceful fish like a firefish or anthias, so if you do want another fish you might have to go the more aggressive route

OP
OP
Reef J

Reef J

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an aggressive/semi aggressive set up so when add fish I have to add ones that can hold their own and it takes about a day for my current fish to realize the new one wont be bullied and then all is well again but thats how I planned my tank, so I know for sure I couldnt add peaceful fish like a firefish or anthias, so if you do want another fish you might have to go the more aggressive route
What type of fish do you have? Trying to get ideas of what I can add that will hold their own

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What type of fish do you have? Trying to get ideas of what I can add that will hold their own
Ive got tangs, triggers, angels, eels, a squirrelfish and a harlequin tusk who is in QT right now. Havnt added the triggers or eels yet, Im adding them last, but Ive got the tangs, regal angel, foxface and (adult) clowns in so far

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
You may find aggressive fish doing the same and wiping out what you have is a community. I would add inverts and coral instead

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You may find aggressive fish doing the same and wiping out what you have is a community. I would add inverts and coral instead
Also good advice! My set up was supposed to be more aggressive from planning ahead for the fish! Up to you :) you could try an angelfish! Those are always fun editions

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Adding fish of a similiar aggression level works best for me. Also use an acclimation box. Tough fish that aren't particulary aggressive would be my suggestion. A sizable halichoeres like a dusky margined would probably do well. Perhaps a fairy wrasse. A small puffer, a foxface, dwarf lionfish are all fish that aren't very aggressive but resistant to aggression too.

Last edited:

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Its a chance you take. Whats aggressive normally can be an angel when acquired. My Clown tang and purple tangs are examples

OP
OP
Reef J

Reef J

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depends a bit on who’s the bully.
The blue?
Surprisingly not. He’s the biggest fish there and he knows it. Not worried about anyone else. The longnose hawkfish is aggressive, clowns get curious and start following the new edition around. The royal gramma also gets in on it. Almost like they all work together to be bullies

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Surprisingly not. He’s the biggest fish there and he knows it. Not worried about anyone else. The longnose hawkfish is aggressive, clowns get curious and start following the new edition around. The royal gramma also gets in on it. Almost like they all work together to be bullies
Yeah those tend to be peaceful from what Ive seen! Maybe look into an angel or adult foxface?

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see nothing out of the norm for new additions, the clowns and gramma surely are going to indicate THEIR territorial boundaries, but, I’m not convinced they would kill, but hay, anything possible in the confines of a glass box.

Hawkfish absolutely deadly for common shrimps species, but fish, I can’t see that. They are not the best s swimmers.

I have almost the same fish as you but in 180.

Could not keep Cardinals, firefish to tame for your system.

A yellow tang if you can find a nice one.
Beautiful fish, right size tank, best rock cleaner ever, can hold his ground, but will not lead.

I have the Anthais, simple orange common purple eyes, they have been great, hold their own, very fast fish.

I larger school of chromis? I have 11 blues (from 16)

Always a gamble, even when it should work and doesn’t. I always worry that I’m going to add someone, and wreck the whole hierarchy.

And sometimes you get lucky.

Good luck

Pickle_soup

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You have a lot of small fish that don't really swim much. If you are willing to take a risk, a dwarf angel can be a nice addition, a smaller 'reef-safe' wrasses, but my favorite fish is a Heni. It is peaceful, eats like a cow, it's very active, and is fearless. My juvi acts as a cleaner in the tank, picking things off my tangs. And it's just a beautiful fish imo. But don't kill other fish, make sure to quarantine new additions properly.
heni.jpg

OP
OP
Reef J

Reef J

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see nothing out of the norm for new additions, the clowns and gramma surely are going to indicate THEIR territorial boundaries, but, I’m not convinced they would kill, but hay, anything possible in the confines of a glass box.

Hawkfish absolutely deadly for common shrimps species, but fish, I can’t see that. They are not the best s swimmers.

I have almost the same fish as you but in 180.

Could not keep Cardinals, firefish to tame for your system.

A yellow tang if you can find a nice one.
Beautiful fish, right size tank, best rock cleaner ever, can hold his ground, but will not lead.

I have the Anthais, simple orange common purple eyes, they have been great, hold their own, very fast fish.

I larger school of chromis? I have 11 blues (from 16)

Always a gamble, even when it should work and doesn’t. I always worry that I’m going to add someone, and wreck the whole hierarchy.

And sometimes you get lucky.

Good luck
Thanks. I had a yellow tank before and it was a good balance with blue and a model citizen. It died and haven’t been able to find/not willing to pay $200 for another one. Maybe one day

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. I had a yellow tank before and it was a good balance with blue and a model citizen. It died and haven’t been able to find/not willing to pay $200 for another one. Maybe one day
Got mine on biota for 160 as a baby!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 25 14.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 24 14.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 96 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 7.1%
Back