Do I need to Dose BRS 2 part yet?

Injoynit

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure if and when I should start dosing BRS 2 part daily with a doser.

My tank (160 gal Display / 40 gal sump) is about 5 months old and is stocked with the following:
1 Hammer coral (5 heads)
1 Torch coral (3 heads)
6 Clown Fish
15 Trochus snails
20 Certh snails

Ca = 350
dKH = 8.4
Mag = 1480
PH = 8.09 - 8.2
Temp = 76-77
Salt = 33 ppt (1.0249 sg)

Ca and dKH seem low but with only those 2 corals should I start to dose?
What amount in ml per day should I start with?
How often should I test after starting?

Thanks for the help. :)

hybridazn

Acro killer.....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Only dose if calcium and alk have drops daily. If they hold steady and water changes seem to be able to keep up then do that.

You will need to test at the same time daily to figure out if dosing is needed and how much. You also need to know what levels you want to keep the 2 part at as well. Calcium usually 410-440 alk 7-10 depending on systems and nutrients.

Test day 1, change nothing. Test day 2 at the same time to see if levels dropped. If they did use the calculators found on bulk reef supply site

https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/reef-calculator/

Punch in the needed info and it will figure out how much is needed to get to your desired level. Day 3 test again to see if it stayed the same, if it dropped adjust the dosage accordingly using the calculator again. If it went up stop dosing and repeat test on day 4 and dose again.

Seems like a lot but once you get it dialed in its cake lol.

Best of luck!

Greenstreet.1

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cal is low so looks like you can start dosing that dkh is ok unless you want it higher. Salinity I would say bring it up to 35 and if you going to do that bring the salinity up first.

What salt are you using ?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are a variety of ways to go that would all be fine.

One way is to boost calcium to 420 ppm and then watch alk. If and when alk drops, use the two part in equal parts dosing to maintain it where you want it. 8 dKH is a fine target.

My advice would be to boost the salinity to 35 ppt (sg = 1.0264). That alone will boost calcium to 370 ppm. Then do the above boost,e tc.

OP
OP
Injoynit

Injoynit

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are a variety of ways to go that would all be fine.

One way is to boost calcium to 420 ppm and then watch alk. If and when alk drops, use the two part in equal parts dosing to maintain it where you want it. 8 dKH is a fine target.

My advice would be to boost the salinity to 35 ppt (sg = 1.0264). That alone will boost calcium to 370 ppm. Then do the above boost,e tc.

I am going to raise salt to 35 ppt as you suggest and then test again to see what I have and go from there with boosting calcium.

Should I then wait a week and test CAL and ALK again to see what is being depleted in a week and then dose the difference or wait until CAL and/or ALK start to drift before starting dosing due to the low amount of corals?

OP
OP
Injoynit

Injoynit

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Only dose if calcium and alk have drops daily. If they hold steady and water changes seem to be able to keep up then do that.

You will need to test at the same time daily to figure out if dosing is needed and how much. You also need to know what levels you want to keep the 2 part at as well. Calcium usually 410-440 alk 7-10 depending on systems and nutrients.

Test day 1, change nothing. Test day 2 at the same time to see if levels dropped. If they did use the calculators found on bulk reef supply site

https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/reef-calculator/

Punch in the needed info and it will figure out how much is needed to get to your desired level. Day 3 test again to see if it stayed the same, if it dropped adjust the dosage accordingly using the calculator again. If it went up stop dosing and repeat test on day 4 and dose again.

Seems like a lot but once you get it dialed in its cake lol.

Best of luck!

Thanks. I did not check at the same time each day. I'm going to do that.

OP
OP
Injoynit

Injoynit

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everything is going fine currently with 410-42o CAL and 7.6-8.1 ALK.
Dosing in equal parts of 40ml daily.
Working so far.
Thanks for the help.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am going to raise salt to 35 ppt as you suggest and then test again to see what I have and go from there with boosting calcium.

Should I then wait a week and test CAL and ALK again to see what is being depleted in a week and then dose the difference or wait until CAL and/or ALK start to drift before starting dosing due to the low amount of corals?

I would monitor alkalinity for a few days and see how it declines. Then dose calcium and alkalinity based on the apparent alk demand. The calcium decline itself is too slow to accurately see in the short term.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everything is going fine currently with 410-42o CAL and 7.6-8.1 ALK.
Dosing in equal parts of 40ml daily.
Working so far.
Thanks for the help.

Sounds good. :)

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 193 71.5%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 20 7.4%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 50 18.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.6%
Back