Do you keep quarantine tanks running?

CLYRIC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Long story short, I finished quarantining all of the fish that I wanted for my tank and have no use of my quarantine tank anymore. I kinda want to take it down to make more space, but I feel like it's such a waste to take down a tank that's already cycled, but I don't really have any use of it. Do you keep your quarantine tanks running? Or do you take it down after you've finished quarantining

sc50964

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Put away the live media such as live rocks in a 5g bucket with salt water, then clean & dry the tank.

Ben.QLD2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I shut my QT down completely after adding the last fish to my DT. It's not fully dry in my shed but can be quickly set up for a hospital tank if needed.

If I need to use it as a QT again in tge future then I'll have plenty of time, the need for it won't sneak up on me.

Worse case scenario is you're a mass murderer of billions of bacteria.

OP
OP
C

CLYRIC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Put away the live media such as live rocks in a 5g bucket with salt water, then clean & dry the tank.
What about the temperature? Won't bacteria die in low temp? Without any heater, I think the water might go as low as 60F where I'm at.

OP
OP
C

CLYRIC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I shut my QT down completely after adding the last fish to my DT. It's not fully dry in my shed but can be quickly set up for a hospital tank if needed.

If I need to use it as a QT again in tge future then I'll have plenty of time, the need for it won't sneak up on me.

Where do you put your sponges/media with the bacteria on it? Or do you just throw it away?

sc50964

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What about the temperature? Won't bacteria die in low temp? Without any heater, I think the water might go as low as 60F where I'm at.
That’s fine. They will be fine. Just throw in tiny little food every other week.

Reef Psychology

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I told myself I'd break down my QT after six weeks..... That was a year ago and it's still running. It has become a frag tank that seems to be growing algae more than corals. I've re-homed and moved corals into my main tanks and will be shutting it down by the end of the week. I'll move 30% of the media into a sump just in case I need to setup the QT again. The tank will be cleaned and let sit in the garage along with the Kessil lights, Fluval filter, heater and HOB AquaMaxx skimmer.

doubleshot00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wish i had the drive to keep mine going but its such a pain.

The idea to keep everything in a 5 gal bucket, heater and maybe a small Powerhead would be the way to keep that media going.

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Long story short, I finished quarantining all of the fish that I wanted for my tank and have no use of my quarantine tank anymore. I kinda want to take it down to make more space, but I feel like it's such a waste to take down a tank that's already cycled, but I don't really have any use of it. Do you keep your quarantine tanks running? Or do you take it down after you've finished quarantining
I keep a couple of pieces of filter floss in my DT sump all the time, so I can set up a QT in an hour or so.

I shut down and sterilise as soon as it is not needed. Cover in plastic to keep clean.

lynn.reef.nerd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I keep my coral QT running because they are harder to get set back up especially well enough to sustain acros.

Fish QT I shut down and completely clean every time. I keep media in the main display and use the media from that every time.

sc50964

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
do you throw in a bubbler or no?
No need. I got buckets in my garage & this has worked for years.

why don’t you give it a try for a week and then do an ammonia test?

Last edited:

Indymann99

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I shut down and clean. I also keep PVC in the sump so can start up QT in 5days or so If needed.

1679448575427.jpeg

1679448650748.jpeg

John Bolden

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Bacteria have right's too ya know!

sc50964

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The advantage of having a running QT free of any meds is that it’s always ready to take on new fish without the concern of ammonia issue and ready for either copper or prazi.

the problem with that is its bio filter being so strong that make any anti bacterial meds useless after a couple of hours in.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see no good reason to keep a QT running continuously. Even if I was expecting to purchase a new batch of fish I’d fully clean the QT system first anyhow. Just keep a bag of bio media in the sump of your main tank - instant bio filter for the QT.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 129 88.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 4.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.1%
Back