Do you keep quarantine tanks running?

-JoJoReefing-

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I would prefer to take down the system and clean it throughout; you might cross contaminate between two qt batches. I prefer to use API quickstart for cycling and it has worked fine.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Use it for inverts and coral. I have one of those running all the time.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Long story short, I finished quarantining all of the fish that I wanted for my tank and have no use of my quarantine tank anymore. I kinda want to take it down to make more space, but I feel like it's such a waste to take down a tank that's already cycled, but I don't really have any use of it. Do you keep your quarantine tanks running? Or do you take it down after you've finished quarantining

take it down, you can cycle it with bottled biospira if you should ever need it.

I keep mine running until I am done with fish. For fish QT, you actually should take it down every so often and disinfect.

Otherwise you can use it to QT corals and inverts but that needs proper lighting and rock and such.

Wasabiroot

Valonia Slayer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I saw the benefits of quarantine but was frequently lazy or dismissive it wouldnt affect me despite ample evidence disease comes to our tanks from outside sources as well.

Just finished getting a handle on a rapid Velvet outbreak in my basement freshwater 240g. Lost an 8" Bala shark, 6 mature male /female Melanotaenia goldei sp 'Kiura', and one of my 5" Denison barbs. Almost lost a 7 inch chocolate cichlid and several catfish but they appear to be pulling through.
This happened about 5 days after I introduced 3 catfish from a store with clean tanks and a knowledgeable owner. This was my first serious disease outbreak in >20yrs fishkeeping. Marine velvet sounds even worse. Was it the fish for sure? No, but maybe their introduction stirred something dormant (they dig, a LOT), so either way it was there waiting for the right time anyways which doesn't feel much better.

Setting up a system now.

Using ich-x requires once per 24 hour dosing and minimum 1/3rd water changes, for at least 3 or 4 days after symptoms disappear. So about 10 days of 80g water changes and heavy oxygenation.
Not making that mistake again. I'm sure you'd feel similar. Lesson learned

fmp47

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I keep my coral QT running because they are harder to get set back up especially well enough to sustain acros.

Fish QT I shut down and completely clean every time. I keep media in the main display and use the media from that every time.
You put medicated media back into your main DT?

lynn.reef.nerd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
You put medicated media back into your main DT?
I do not. I keep some media in the sump so I can grab out whenever I need to set up another fish QT.

1682714171698.png

GARRIGA

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Never know when that next LFS or swap visit results in another unintended addition plus always good to have a hospital tank or to resolve unwanted aggression. Plus should something catastrophic happen that's waiting to help and much easier trying to keep a small volume cooled or heated should power go out. Plus who's ever met anyone who can honestly say that's the last fish, coral or CUC being added? CUC especially should be a high concern since they are often replenished and should also be QT. Even rocks can be vehicles of pathogens or that not wanted.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 6 6.7%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 4.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 5.6%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 70 77.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 5.6%

Back