Do you trust your apex temp probe?

n2585722

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a heads up I had the temperature probe on my apex fail recently. I would check your temperature probe every once in a while to make sure it is working properly.
Get a second temp probe and use the second one as a backup for one used for control. The odds of two failing at the same time is quite small. I am not sure on the Apex but there should be a way to get an alert from the backup probe if the temp goes out of the desired range.

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the old mercury thermometers I will test against every so often. Old school, I know, but good. I also have an Inkbird and other probes I can use to test if I want. I usually do not. :)

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I test my tank twice weekly, during this test I test the apex probe against my hanna salinity meter. The apex probe is usually within .2 of the hanna meter. Even after 8 years, still going strong.

Explorer12

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get a second temp probe and use the second one as a backup for one used for control. The odds of two failing at the same time is quite small. I am not sure on the Apex but there should be a way to get an alert from the backup probe if the temp goes out of the desired range.
I just had mine fail as well! It started recording 90 degrees when it was 73. I recalibrated twice and then noticed it was recording normal when the heater got up to 82! Ugh, why pay this much for something that is no better than the regular temperature controller on the regular heater?

TheDragonsReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a probe on my heater, my chiller, and my apex, and they all read the same. If one ever changes and the others don't i try to find out why. I havent had any issues with my apex probe but i have seen others fail.

n2585722

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just had mine fail as well! It started recording 90 degrees when it was 73. I recalibrated twice and then noticed it was recording normal when the heater got up to 82! Ugh, why pay this much for something that is no better than the regular temperature controller on the regular heater?
I don't have an Apex but it should have a way to connect two temp sensors to it. I use the Hydros controller and I have three temp probes connected to the system. So far I have had no failures with them but it is just a year old now. I had a Archon before that and never had a temp probe failure on it.

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't have an Apex but it should have a way to connect two temp sensors to it. I use the Hydros controller and I have three temp probes connected to the system. So far I have had no failures with them but it is just a year old now. I had a Archon before that and never had a temp probe failure on it.
You can have a second temp probe if you have a PM1, PM2, or ASM module.

n2585722

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can have a second temp probe if you have a PM1, PM2, or ASM module.
I was sure there was a way. I just don't have that controller so i was not sure what you would need. Thanks for the input.

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was sure there was a way. I just don't have that controller so i was not sure what you would need. Thanks for the input.
There may be more modules that allow it, but those are the ones that I know do. 8 have the ASM and was considering adding a second temp probe.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I compare mine against inkbird. Apex off by .3 deg

shwareefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My apex is exactly 1 deg low compared to any other measuring device. I don't care, I just set my programming rules accordingly.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 136 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.9%
Back