Do your corals suffer from mood disorders?

Adam1985

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

Does anyone else ever have corals randomly get “angry” from time to time, from at least a few days and up to weeks, with no apparent reason, while the rest of your corals are fine?

I’m posting this in SPS but I have this happen on many different species over the years. I’ve always meant to ask others about it but haven’t until now.

For example I’ve had this happen a few times recently. In one case a patch of GSP just closed randomly for a couple of weeks while other patches of GSP in the tank were normal (and close enough that light and flow were similar). I’ve also had my favorite montipora digitata randomly get angry last night, while two other montipora species nearby look as happy as could be.

I’m sure this kind of thing isn’t truly random but so far over the years I’ve been unable to find the root causes.

Thanks for your feedback!

Adam

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good topic! I don' mind if my corals shut down for a few days but I have know idea why they seem to get angry sometimes.

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With softies and LPS, it is generally a little easier to deduce because their reactions are almost contemporaneous to the irritant.

With SPS it can be more difficult as the visible stress could be from a problem a week or two ago. It helps if you keep studious logs of changes & measures.

OP
OP
Adam1985

Adam1985

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ThanWith softies and LPS, it is generally a little easier to deduce because their reactions are almost contemporaneous to the irritant.
With SPS it can be more difficult as the visible stress could be from a problem a week or two ago. It helps if you keep studious logs of changes & measures.

Thanks a lot. Actually I maintain a very detailed tank diary. I did have a significant nutrient spike after using a bad batch of phyto a couple of weeks . And alk got higher than I like. This is referring to my currently angry digitata.

What gets me is how other corals of the same genus are normal.

Do you think it would be worthwhile to take it out, dip it, and move it to a different location l? I’d need to carefully chisel around its base to dislodge it and then glue to a frag plug as it’s encrusted.

No parasites visible night or day, and I just did a 30% water change and loaded up on carbon and purigen in case of chemical contamination.

Would appreciate your feedback as it’s actually my favorite coral.

Adam

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ThanWith softies and LPS, it is generally a little easier to deduce because their reactions are almost contemporaneous to the irritant.

Thanks a lot. Actually I maintain a very detailed tank diary. I did have a significant nutrient spike after using a bad batch of phyto a couple of weeks . And alk got higher than I like. This is referring to my currently angry digitata.

What gets me is how other corals of the same genus are normal.

Do you think it would be worthwhile to take it out, dip it, and move it to a different location l? I’d need to carefully chisel around its base to dislodge it and then glue to a frag plug as it’s encrusted.

No parasites visible night or day, and I just did a 30% water change and loaded up on carbon and purigen in case of chemical contamination.

Would appreciate your feedback as it’s actually my favorite coral.

Adam

In the past, I have cut a struggling piece/colony in half, leaving behind 1/2 and dipping & moving the other half.

That way you can confirm yes/no on pests, lighting preferences, whatever while still keeping a chunk of it where it was once happy.

OP
OP
Adam1985

Adam1985

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In the past, I have cut a struggling piece/colony in half, leaving behind 1/2 and dipping & moving the other half.
That way you can confirm yes/no on pests, lighting preferences, whatever while still keeping a chunk of it where it was once happy.

Thanks for the great advice.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 104 75.9%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 10.9%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 5.8%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back