Does a UV sterilizer interfere with Fluconazole?

danoo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There doesn't seem to be any specific threads on this topic anywhere and some mixed thoughts I've found within threads. So I'm wondering if somebody with more understanding of how chemicals may or may not degrade under UV light could answer this definitely either way.

GMay

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking at the structure I would think that UV would possibly damage the compound and therefore its function.

imgsrv.fcgi

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are you running the UV for? If you don't have an active issue shutting it off for a week probably would not be an issue?
Great question by the way>.

OP
OP
D

danoo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run UV to keep dino populations in check and help prevent them from blooming. And I run a lot of UV, 171 watts on my 350 gallon tank at ~1700 gph. I'm not that concerned about shutting it off temporarily, I'm just trying to figure out if the UV was the reason my first dose of Fluconazole didn't work or if there was some other reason.

I've gone ahead and turned the UV off and re-dosed Fluconazole, so that will give me some practical evidence of whether UV has an effect on the dosage or not. I've had this experience in the past where I dosed Chemi-clean and it didn't work, and then only later did I realize it was because the UV sterilizers degraded the chemical. I dosed it again with the UV off and it worked like a charm.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice.
I run UV to keep dino populations in check and help prevent them from blooming. And I run a lot of UV, 171 watts on my 350 gallon tank at ~1700 gph. I'm not that concerned about shutting it off temporarily, I'm just trying to figure out if the UV was the reason my first dose of Fluconazole didn't work or if there was some other reason.

I've gone ahead and turned the UV off and re-dosed Fluconazole, so that will give me some practical evidence of whether UV has an effect on the dosage or not. I've had this experience in the past where I dosed Chemi-clean and it didn't work, and then only later did I realize it was because the UV sterilizers degraded the chemical. I dosed it again with the UV off and it worked like a charm.

Please report back after the 2nd trial and let us know those results. It could be helpful to know the outcome, I presume you are trying to remove dino's with the Fluconazole?

OP
OP
D

danoo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice.

Please report back after the 2nd trial and let us know those results. It could be helpful to know the outcome, I presume you are trying to remove dino's with the Fluconazole?

No, not dinos. AFAIK Fluconazole doesn't do much to dinos. This treatment is attempting to target Derbesia which has gotten a little out of control.

OP
OP
D

danoo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Inconclusive. I did multiple treatments with Fluconazole both with and without the UV sterilizer running and it did not impact the problem, so I have no idea what impact, if any, the UV sterilizer had.

I started using Vibrant and within a couple of months the Derbesia was completely gone.

Breadman03

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn't see an answer, so I went to Google and found a paper. According to an article in The Asian Journal of Medicine, UV does degrade fluconazole. While they weren't studying it in saltwater, it does degrade slightly to significantly under UV exposure per their abstract.

Courtney Aldrich

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
UV efficiently degrades fluconazole as well as most antimicrobial agents used in reef-keeping (see attached paper).

Attachments

• 71730415.pdf
    1.2 MB · Views: 28

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn't see an answer, so I went to Google and found a paper. According to an article in The Asian Journal of Medicine, UV does degrade fluconazole. While they weren't studying it in saltwater, it does degrade slightly to significantly under UV exposure per their abstract.

The UV used in that paper is a much lower wavelength (210 nm) than used in a UV sterilizer, so I think the answer for reef tank UV exposure is still unknown.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Courtney's paper does show degradation at the right wavelength, and that certainly demonstrates it can photodegrade under UV sterilizer light, but I'd again caution at interpretation.

In that study, they use a 10W UV that is continuously exposing the solution to the UV, and it took 2 h at pH 7 to drop the concentration by half.

In a reef tank UV setup, only a tiny fraction of the water volume is exposed at once.

So if it takes 2 h of exposure inside the UV to drop the concentration by half, how long would it take in a reef tank? Might be weeks or months if the volume of exposure inside the UV is only a few mL out of a total tank volume of, say 50-150 gallons.

Courtney Aldrich

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Courtney's paper does show degradation at the right wavelength, and that certainly demonstrates it can photodegrade under UV sterilizer light, but I'd again caution at interpretation.

In that study, they use a 10W UV that is continuously exposing the solution to the UV, and it took 2 h at pH 7 to drop the concentration by half.

In a reef tank UV setup, only a tiny fraction of the water volume is exposed at once.

So if it takes 2 h of exposure inside the UV to drop the concentration by half, how long would it take in a reef tank? Might be weeks or months if the volume of exposure inside the UV is only a few mL out of a total tank volume of, say 50-150 gallons.
I agree. I did some simple calculations and it would take 1-2 months to degrade 50% of fluconazole using a typical UV sterilizer.

aquadise

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For me it is a No.

I turn on my UV sterilizer (36W) during the treatment (bryopsis and GHA) with Reeflux.
The Fluconazole still work well by eliminating bryopsis and GHA. My tank is 200 liters.

Reason for the UV sterilizer on, because I detect the dino (ostreopsis) come back whenever I try to reduce the nuisance algaes, maybe because of the impact on biodiversity. So I keep my UV on during the time to control the dino, while eliminating the nuisance algaes.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.3%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 43 35.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 37 30.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 30 24.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.8%
Back