Does R2R Have An Organized Way That I Can Help Reefers In Texas.

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the issue now is the emergency is over.
2 weeks ago was the time to send help.
Now I see many tanks for sale as people are giving it up.
Maybe moral support is best now

Our LFS's have made it thru with flying colors and hopefully an uptick in business will help them out as sales were $0.00 for 5 days

Last edited:

NeonRabbit221B

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check out my thread here. A few links for go fund mesh and if you have spare frags we are trying to setup a few shipments to local reef clubs in Texas.

dank reefer

IG: dankreefer_IG
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

PicassoClown04

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the issue now is the emergency is over.
2 weeks ago was the time to send help.
Now I see many tanks for sale as people are giving it up.
Maybe moral support is best now
I’d just like to start by saying that if this sounds rude or pitiful in any way, I truly don’t mean for it to sound like that. I just want to write down everything that I, as well as dozens of other reefers close to me, have been going through/dealing with these last couple of days because there’s a lot of information and stories going around.

I’m a Texas reefer, part of the club MARSH-reef.for Houston reefers. I’ve spent the last three days helping my uncle desperately transfer corals to buckets, buying salt and bottles of prime + stability, trying to scrape together RODI, changing the batteries in air pumps, and doing everything we can to keep a stable environment that’s livable. That was a 20 year old tank, and we lost a lot of livestock including many huge colonies that took years to grow. Today I’m going over to help him use bolt cutters to remove the skeletons of those corals that were encrusted into the rock and thus could not be removed and possibly saved.

6BB5DB52-DCDB-4419-8514-FF666C5228C5.jpeg

Even the ones we got into buckets didn’t do well, and we lost around 50% of those. I’m housing around a dozen of the most rare/expensive pieces but they’re going downhill fast and there’s not much I can do now. We for sure lost a JF Jolt acro, masterpiece scoly, very old clownfish, springeri damsel, a couple acanthophyllia, multiple rainbow bowerbankii, several dinner plate sized favias and chalice, as well as multiple acro colonies that were a couple pounds each, and all of his euphyllia except for maybe 3-4 pieces. There are some survivors but the tank looks terrible and it was heartbreaking to see all the corals that inspired me to get into the hobby disintegrate before my eyes.

Pink/red Cynaria
15FBB79A-DA71-424F-894E-BBC2308A46B1.jpeg

This whole piece ended up disintegrating. Flesh flaked right off
26BDEDB3-A4F9-4188-B4AC-B66B8D6AC561.jpeg

There is a small victory here, and that’s the survival of this Pyramid Butterfly. Here is before and after our treatments, and he is okay now. The clown and damsel were not so lucky, and there’s still 2 anthias MIA. But I’m glad to see that our efforts have paid off a little bit. I apologize for the quality of the after pic, it’s a screen shot from a video
FBC6901D-CDAF-4B0F-A11E-3968F6856FE0.jpeg
0891A885-C92D-489F-827C-3189F3B1E264.png

Any help is appreciated, it is not too late! A few members of my local club are offering free frags to those who lost a lot of stock or had total wipeouts, I’m humbled by their offers and very thankful for them. Reefers are a special kind of people, and seeing everyone come together now to help me and my neighbors is really driving me to become a better person and I know that we’re here for each other. At this point, we’re desperate for anything we can get. We can’t make RODI water right now due to the water boil warning, someone in my local club reported 165 TDS pre storm and 465 right now. There’s 10 car lines for gas and many gas stations have run dry so there’s no way to gas up generators and it’s risky to drive across town for essentials because there’s a high chance you won’t be able to refuel. Grocery stores are bare, LFS are struggling to keep their livestock alive, and many houstonians are without water entirely due to burst pipes because they don’t bury them very deep here.

If this sounds like a pity story, please understand that I didn’t and don’t mean it that way. I’m trying to be objective about the losses I’ve seen but it made me realize how lucky I was that my own tanks weren’t affected this way. If I’d lost 75% of my stock, or even 50% I would be so crushed that maybe rebuilding wouldn’t be possible. I love this hobby, and I love the people that I’ve met being a part of this community, but watching all of the livestock that I’ve kept, fed, watched grow, or even collected myself from the ocean die? That would most likely force me out of the hobby just from the heartbreak. I know many people have had major losses like that, and I’m sure that everyone that has been affected by this storm will agree with me that we are very very grateful for any relief or assistance we can be offered. I would like to thank anyone and everyone who has taken the time and resources to donate or discount any equipment we may need as well as those who have offered free frags to help us get back on our feet, y’all’re good people. Have a great day everyone, and THANK YOU!

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d just like to start by saying that if this sounds rude or pitiful in any way, I truly don’t mean for it to sound like that. I just want to write down everything that I, as well as dozens of other reefers close to me, have been going through/dealing with these last couple of days because there’s a lot of information and stories going around.
I think we need more stories like this.
It gives people an idea of what could happen and what it takes to survive. Some good ideas will come from this. Some things that people never thought of to do or would ever happen.

LRT

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Best wishes all been dreading seeing devastation to reefers reefs. Absolutely horrible I couldn't imagine what your going through!

PicassoClown04

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At this point, a lot of us just need support and love from the community to rebuild. A lot of us have lost now-irreplaceable fish due to the Hawaii ban and a lot of our coral. Discounted/free frags are probably going to be the most help, just because they’re incentives to not quit the hobby. I can’t ask for a equipment donation, just because what we need most are generators and that’s just too much. But any spare heaters, coral dips, air stones, etc emergency equipment would help a lot as well because a lot of LFS are selling out of that

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feel for everyone in Texas and other parts of the US that are affected. It’s no fun to watch years of work and love go down the drain. Never mind the money - this is your passion, love and your pets. I hope to hear some great stories of how everyone pulled through.

Coral Websites

Web Development
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I’m a Texas reefer, part of the club MARSH-reef.for Houston reefers. I’ve spent the last three days helping my uncle desperately transfer corals to buckets, buying salt and bottles of prime + stability, trying to scrape together RODI, changing the batteries in air pumps, and doing everything we can to keep a stable environment that’s livable. That was a 20 year old tank, and we lost a lot of livestock including many huge colonies that took years to grow. Today I’m going over to help him use bolt cutters to remove the skeletons of those corals that were encrusted into the rock and thus could not be removed and possibly saved.

6BB5DB52-DCDB-4419-8514-FF666C5228C5.jpeg

Even the ones we got into buckets didn’t do well, and we lost around 50% of those. I’m housing around a dozen of the most rare/expensive pieces but they’re going downhill fast and there’s not much I can do now. We for sure lost a JF Jolt acro, masterpiece scoly, very old clownfish, springeri damsel, a couple acanthophyllia, multiple rainbow bowerbankii, several dinner plate sized favias and chalice, as well as multiple acro colonies that were a couple pounds each, and all of his euphyllia except for maybe 3-4 pieces. There are some survivors but the tank looks terrible and it was heartbreaking to see all the corals that inspired me to get into the hobby disintegrate before my eyes.

Pink/red Cynaria
15FBB79A-DA71-424F-894E-BBC2308A46B1.jpeg

This whole piece ended up disintegrating. Flesh flaked right off
26BDEDB3-A4F9-4188-B4AC-B66B8D6AC561.jpeg

There is a small victory here, and that’s the survival of this Pyramid Butterfly. Here is before and after our treatments, and he is okay now. The clown and damsel were not so lucky, and there’s still 2 anthias MIA. But I’m glad to see that our efforts have paid off a little bit. I apologize for the quality of the after pic, it’s a screen shot from a video
FBC6901D-CDAF-4B0F-A11E-3968F6856FE0.jpeg
0891A885-C92D-489F-827C-3189F3B1E264.png

Any help is appreciated, it is not too late! A few members of my local club are offering free frags to those who lost a lot of stock or had total wipeouts, I’m humbled by their offers and very thankful for them. Reefers are a special kind of people, and seeing everyone come together now to help me and my neighbors is really driving me to become a better person and I know that we’re here for each other. At this point, we’re desperate for anything we can get. We can’t make RODI water right now due to the water boil warning, someone in my local club reported 165 TDS pre storm and 465 right now. There’s 10 car lines for gas and many gas stations have run dry so there’s no way to gas up generators and it’s risky to drive across town for essentials because there’s a high chance you won’t be able to refuel. Grocery stores are bare, LFS are struggling to keep their livestock alive, and many houstonians are without water entirely due to burst pipes because they don’t bury them very deep here.

If this sounds like a pity story, please understand that I didn’t and don’t mean it that way. I’m trying to be objective about the losses I’ve seen but it made me realize how lucky I was that my own tanks weren’t affected this way. If I’d lost 75% of my stock, or even 50% I would be so crushed that maybe rebuilding wouldn’t be possible. I love this hobby, and I love the people that I’ve met being a part of this community, but watching all of the livestock that I’ve kept, fed, watched grow, or even collected myself from the ocean die? That would most likely force me out of the hobby just from the heartbreak. I know many people have had major losses like that, and I’m sure that everyone that has been affected by this storm will agree with me that we are very very grateful for any relief or assistance we can be offered. I would like to thank anyone and everyone who has taken the time and resources to donate or discount any equipment we may need as well as those who have offered free frags to help us get back on our feet, y’all’re good people. Have a great day everyone, and THANK YOU!
it was very kind of you to help out your uncle and his family through the storm! I know he appreciates it... too bad about the Jolt! ... gregg

Coral Websites

Web Development
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@footgal Can you reach out to me via pm or via my thread. This weekend I am trying to put together a shipment and would love to support yall!
Thank you for your donation to our club, we are very grateful and will make sure it gets into the right hands! A lot of folks down here are suffering.

Gregg Hamilton
President
Marine Aquarium and Reef Society of Houston

OP
OP
PeterC99

PeterC99

Solarbenchmark.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sent a donation to https://marsh-reef.org/ (local Houston Reef club). You can send one too - [email protected].

Interesting that I really enjoy this hobby and taking care of marine life. Thank you to all the R2R members for your kindness and patience In answering my questions and helping me get my aquarium established. Hopefully I can repay some of this kindness forward and help others in their time of need.

Wishing the aquarists in Texas a speedy recovery.

Last edited:

Coral Websites

Web Development
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would like to help the reefers in Texas after the power outages but have no idea how to assist. Has R2R setup anything where I can contribute?
We are very appreciative of your support!!! It will help out a lot of people!

Gregg Hamilton
President

NeonRabbit221B

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for your donation to our club, we are very grateful and will make sure it gets into the right hands! A lot of folks down here are suffering.

Gregg Hamilton
President
Made an account at Marsh and PMd you. You can reply via reef2reef account for simplicity. Looking for information on where to ship frags/inverts and need info on what’s accepted and distribution of them. Hopefully things have settled down and I am sure everyone appreciates your help recovering

Coral Websites

Web Development
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Made an account at Marsh and PMd you. You can reply via reef2reef account for simplicity. Looking for information on where to ship frags/inverts and need info on what’s accepted and distribution of them. Hopefully things have settled down and I am sure everyone appreciates your help recovering
we are so very thankful for everyones support!! @CodyBot our clubs vice president will be reaching out to you to make arrangements. He has the storage space so it should work out well. Thanks Again!

Last edited:

PicassoClown04

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@PeterC99 and @NeonRabbit221B, I’d like to thank you from the bottom of my heart for your donations!

Thank you for helping out my community down here, the family I feel with other reefers is part of the reason I love this hobby so much. I’m sure Gregg and the amazing moderator team for MARSH will absolutely make sure that your generosity gets into the hands of those that need it most after this tragedy

NeonRabbit221B

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It was heart breaking watching peoples tanks crash. I get pretty upset myself if I lose a fish or a frag so I couldn't imagine watching things decline. I just hope I don't get so many donations that I end up in debt from shipping haha

I dropped by giant blue chalice moving things around in the nano so now we have a few more...

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 7 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 70 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.3%
Back