DOS vs Versa for AWC and ATO

m.kristoff

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I just setup one of my DOS's to run AWC. set it up for 1 gallon per day over 6 hours. It is working and fairly quiet over the 6 hour span.
I also run a Neptune ATK. the utility pump it came with cant push the water far enough for what I need. I ordered a BRS 50ml dosing pump to replace it.
I also setup a manual water change on the DOS using the feed button. I don't find it useful and if i wanted to do a large water change it would take forever.

I am considering using Versa pumps for ATO and AWC. looks pretty straight forward and seems to give better options and give the ability to have more control with manual water changes and control the intervals for my daily 1 gallon AWC change. The DOS does work but i am wondering if the Versas are quieter and easier to use.

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a DOS and love it for auto water changes. I only do programmed ones daily so I don’t use the manual function. I’ve never had a problem with it and my tank has never looked better.

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bought the dos for AWCs, too loud. Get the versas, they're much quieter. I have them set up to run a consant speed to change 1 gallon over 4 hours. The apex powers them on for 4 hours.

OP
OP
m.kristoff

m.kristoff

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Bought the dos for AWCs, too loud. Get the versas, they're much quieter. I have them set up to run a consant speed to change 1 gallon over 4 hours. The apex powers them on for 4 hours.
I have my DOS running 1 gallon over 6 hours so its pretty quiet running at a slow speed.. If I set the DOS to do a gallon at the shortest period-45 minutes its really loud

Thetankdoctor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I change 3 gallons a day over 16 hours very quiet. This is all new to me with the awc...setup. But it seems to be the way to go currently.

DesertReefer51

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not to hijack the thread but how is everyone dealing with the ATO running to compensate for the AWC?

I'm considering using a DOS for the AWC but curious how folks are doing this. I have my Tunze dumping water into the return section of my sump. I was considering pulling water for the AWC from the intake chamber of the sump since it would be the dirtiest.

Just curious how others have this setup especially running an APEX.

shwareefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your AWC draws from the intake side as you say and returns to the return section of the sump or at least downstream, it will never trip your ATO.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 20 31.3%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 52 81.3%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 10 15.6%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 10.9%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.7%
Back