Doser 2.2 Maxi stalling

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Saith

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought two of the GHL Doser 2.2 Maxi and both of the right heads stall. At speed 3 they bind up, at speed 2 they stall for a split second. GHL was quick to respond to my ticket and gave me firmware update 1.45. The update fixed one, but not the other.

Has anyone else had this problem and fixed it by cleaning and re-lubing the head? I don't know if that is the problem, but I would prefer to do that rather than pay to send it back to them.

Last edited:

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone else had this problem and fixed it by cleaning and re-lubing the head? I don't if that is the problem, but I would prefer to do that rather than pay to send it back to them.
I put in rather much Vaseline grease around the internal tubes and in the rollers. When you have installed the updated FW - its mostly an tear and wear thing - at least in my case. The stall for a split second got better and better with time. Run it at the speed it does not stall totally for a while - and - at least for me - it works well in all speeds after a while. This with lot of grease in the pumphead is my own solution - I use more than it is in the instructions. I have run my pumps for a couple of months now and it have works well

Sincerely Lasse

OP
OP
S

Saith

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Lasse. It ran for a week, about 60 minutes per day, and the stalling didn't go away. It got worse.

Here are more details.

I bought two of the Doser 2.2 Maxi when they were available last year. I eventually got around to setting one up for automatic water changes. First thing out of the box, the right head stalls every time I push the button for manual dosing. It completely binds up and stops spinning. I was hoping that it just needed to break in. Eventually, after repeatedly running it, calibrating the pump and changing the speed from the default setting of 3 down to 2, the head was working better and would only occasionally stall for a split second. A couple night later I sstarted getting woken up by the noise from the head stalling for a split second on every rotation. After some investigating I found the head works fine for about 10 minutes then starts stalling after that. I filed a GHL ticket which was quickly responded to. They gave me a firmware update for version 1.45, unfortunately that didn't fix it.

At this point I was getting woken up 3 times a night from the doser, so I decided to switch over to the second doser. It also had issues with the right head, binds up at speed 3 and at speed 2 it stalls for a split second every cycle. Luckily the update to 1.45 fixed this one. It's been running for about 3 weeks with no problems.

GHL said to send the first doser back to them and they will inspect it. However if I can put that money towards grease, that would probably be faster and maybe even cheaper.

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You know in old types of larger tube pumps (like older Aqua Medic tube pumps here in Europe) you fill nearly the whole chamber up with Vaseline grease. I did not take as much as that - but rather much. A question - its both pumps extended versions (slave) - or is any of them a Stand alone in slave mode? If so - you must change that back to stand alone and update it as a Stand Alone unit in order to get it right

Sincerely Lasse

OP
OP
S

Saith

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A question - its both pumps extended versions (slave) - or is any of them a Stand alone in slave mode? If so - you must change that back to stand alone and update it as a Stand Alone unit in order to get it right

Thanks Lasse, that is an important piece of information to know.

Interestingly, they are both Stand Alone (SA) units that I am using as Extended (EXT). The first one, which wasn't fixed by the update, was updated while setup as an EXT unit. The second one, which was fixed, was updated as SA unit.

The firmware version in GCC shows version 1.45 for both of them. I'll put the first one back into SA mode, do a firmware update, then run it some more this week. I'll reply back after trying it out. Thanks again.

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Lasse, that is an important piece of information to know.

Interestingly, they are both Stand Alone (SA) units that I am using as Extended (EXT). The first one, which wasn't fixed by the update, was updated while setup as an EXT unit. The second one, which was fixed, was updated as SA unit.

The firmware version in GCC shows version 1.45 for both of them. I'll put the first one back into SA mode, do a firmware update, then run it some more this week. I'll reply back after trying it out. Thanks again.
I have been in that rabbit hole by myself - I have 2 Sa as extended in my setup of doser 2.1:s

Sincerely Lasse

KenO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have just one of the reg EXT (not the SA) units that I ordered and received late last year. I just decided to install it this past weekend. I don't have the 1.45 firmware. The right pump stalls or freezes on my unit too. I have it running at 30mls/min. I added the grease that came with the Versa pumps. I put a lot in there. That seems to have "fixed" the freeze. Now for the left pump, it stalled after about 45 min running at 30mls/min. So I added grease to that one too. Then it stalled again, but the noise was different and louder. I noticed the RO tubing on the input side just hanging in mid air. The crimp fitting on the tubing fell off. See pictures.

IMG_9939.jpg
IMG_9940.jpg
IMG_9941.jpg
IMG_9942.jpg

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't have the 1.45 firmware

Its included in the new GCC

I noticed the RO tubing on the input side just hanging in mid air. The crimp fitting on the tubing fell off. See pictures.

To me - it looks like a warranty issue @Vinny@GHLUSA

Sincerely Lasse

KenO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its included in the new GCC

To me - it looks like a warranty issue @Vinny@GHLUSA

Sincerely Lasse
Lasse,

thanks I did open a support ticket with GHL earlier today. I'm in the states, so most likely I will hear something tomorrow. Unless @vinny jumps in.

OP
OP
S

Saith

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to see you're also having issues KenO. Hopefully they can quickly get yours up and running again.

Changing back to SA mode and re-updating to firmware version 1.45 didn't help.

OP
OP
S

Saith

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After reading KenO's post I decided to check on the crimps. The doser was still running (with the split second stalls) so I stopped it, took off the cover and checked the crimps. They were fine. I noticed the center area of the cover, where the rotating head touches the front cover, was pretty bare and didn't have any grease. So I spread some grease from other areas of the cover into the center area and then wiped some on the raised center of the rotating head. I put the cover back on and started another round of dosing. It's dosing 3L at 140mL per minute, so it runs for about 21 minutes. The head didn't stall this time. I'm going to let it sit for awhile then run it again.

I took the cover back off to get a pic showing where I spread the grease. Hopefully this takes care of the stalling.

1675733972028.png

Last edited:

KenO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After reading KenO's post I decided to check on the crimps. The doser was still running (with the split second stalls) so I stopped it, took off the cover and checked the crimps. They were fine. I noticed the center area of the cover, where the rotating head touches the front cover, was pretty bare and didn't have any grease. So I spread some grease from other areas of the cover into the center area and then wiped some on the raised center of the rotating head. I put the cover back on and started another round of dosing. It's dosing 3L at 140mL per minute, so it runs for about 21 minutes. The head didn't stall this time. I'm going to let it sit for awhile then run it again.

I took the cover back off to get a pic showing where I spread the grease. Hopefully this takes care of the stalling.

1675733972028.png
Interesting observation. When I added the grease I added it to the rollers and tubing. I added a bunch. So maybe some migrated to that center point. Mine are not stalling. I did put a new crimp connector on the one that came off. It's slightly larger, it is the ones that I use for my Versa pumps when I replace the tubing. I'm hoping GHL will send me a replacement tubing. @Vinny@GHLUSA

OP
OP
S

Saith

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting observation. When I added the grease I added it to the rollers and tubing. I added a bunch. So maybe some migrated to that center point. Mine are not stalling. I did put a new crimp connector on the one that came off. It's slightly larger, it is the ones that I use for my Versa pumps when I replace the tubing. I'm hoping GHL will send me a replacement tubing. @Vinny@GHLUSA

I was going to buy some of grease for the versa to use on the Maxi 2.2. On the website they are selling Molykote. That's convenient since I already have some for o-rings.

Good to know the versa crimp would work in a pinch. I was thinking the space is too small for a typical worm-drive band clamp.

I wonder if GHL has parts available to send out. I wanted to buy a spare head, but they don't have any listed on the website for the Maxi 2.2.

KenO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was going to buy some of grease for the versa to use on the Maxi 2.2. On the website they are selling Molykote. That's convenient since I already have some for o-rings.

Good to know the versa crimp would work in a pinch. I was thinking the space is too small for a typical worm-drive band clamp.

I wonder if GHL has parts available to send out. I wanted to buy a spare head, but they don't have any listed on the website for the Maxi 2.2.
I need to find smaller crimp fittings to keep on hand. GHL is also indicating that the semi-rigid RO tubing going into their pump fittings need to be 6.0mm. Right now it appears my tubing is 6.3mm. I'm going through my stock to see if I can find any smaller diameter. I did have a difficult time inserting the the semi-rigid RO tubing into the pump fittings. So most likely I caused the pump fitting to come loose.

KenO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I looked closer at the crimp connector that fell off. It has "087" stamped on it. The crimp connectors I'm using for the Versa has an "87" stamped on it. The size of the crimp connectors I'm using for the Versa are 8.7mm uncrimped and 7.0mm crimped. So I'm thinking the crimp connector is the same size.

OP
OP
S

Saith

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just thought I would update that my 2.2 Maxi is still working stall free, so the grease seems to have done the trick. And GHL has added the 2.2 Maxi replacement heads to their US website.

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just thought I would update that my 2.2 Maxi is still working stall free, so the grease seems to have done the trick. And GHL has added the 2.2 Maxi replacement heads to their US website.
So do mine

Sincerely Lasse

lpramos

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just installed a 2.2 Maxi, which I use for AWC. The Doser is loud at all speeds. I removed the heads, and it's still loud, so it's the motor. The Doser heads had a small amount of lube, in all locations that are supposed to be lubed, so it's not the heads. It sounds like a grinding or buzzing noise. It drives me insane. I already started a ticket.
Does this Doser seem unusually loud to you all? How does it sound to you?

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not i general - I normally hear it but not so much. However - when you mount back the rollers - it seems like it is very important that that the small elevation on one of the short sides of the roller faces you and not the pump house. I did mount my in the wrong way and it damage the tube rather fast. And it create extra noise,

1708460694801.png

Sincerely Lase

lpramos

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the good advice, Lasse. You are always very helpful. Vinny advised me to use the maximum speed. The Maxi Doser was actually quieter and smoother (less abrasive/grinding sound). Plus, the dosing finished quicker. This was not intuitive. I would have assumed faster would be louder, but I was wrong. I'm happy with the Maxi Doser now. I hope this helps others.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 137 87.8%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.9%
Back