Dragon eel

Cstar_BC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so I made the mistake of seeing one at my LFS - care wise they seem easy .

no tank mates that can fit in their mouth - what does that mean ?
how small is edible ?
What about a dwarf lion fish - would it try to eat it ?

is there better success with them in larger systems - I know it says 200 gallons but do they do better (aggression wise) in 300 gallons etc

just wow - I am in love with this eel , goodbye snowflake you have been replaced

Sosuke

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What size tank do you have? Tank mates mean anything that doesn't seem to be able to fit in its mouth. Probably won't go after the lion fish if it has venomous fins

tehmadreefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With eels, you just never know what may become it’s next meal, especially dragons. But bigger is better and also much smaller like anthias are typically fine as well.

OP
OP
Cstar_BC

Cstar_BC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What size tank do you have? Tank mates mean anything that doesn't seem to be able to fit in its mouth. Probably won't go after the lion fish if it has venomous fins

setting up a 240gallon - wide 33”

What I currently have
4 clownfish ~ 3”
1 firefish
1 green spotted mandarin
1 dwarf lion ~3”
1 blue tang ~2”

1 carpet anemone ~12”
4 BTA

Ideally i would like everyone in one tank -
But my plan is to keep the dwarf lion in my 60cube

i don’t think I could mix carpet and eel , feels risky .

but just gauging what the “next” tank could be if the main focus was the eel

Sosuke

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From your stocking Im not sure the dragon eel and clownfish firefish and especially the mandarin won't work considering their size and the eels. My old snowflake took a clownfish under once

OP
OP
Cstar_BC

Cstar_BC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From your stocking Im not sure the dragon eel and clownfish firefish and especially the mandarin won't work considering their size and the eels. My old snowflake took a clownfish under once

totally agree

the focus of this tank is the carpet anemone.

i just can’t find a concrete guide on “so many inch fish” for a dragon eel

Sosuke

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The eel needs 200+ gallons from what I know about it and will basically eat anything that is the size of its mouth fully stretched. How big is the one at the store?

OP
OP
Cstar_BC

Cstar_BC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The eel needs 200+ gallons from what I know about it and will basically eat anything that is the size of its mouth fully stretched. How big is the one at the store?

It looks to be about 3ft long - I would say.

this would not be the one I am getting, but now that I’ve seen one it is definitely on the list of fish to one day get .

tehmadreefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Eel is fine in a 220, remember they spend most of their time hiding in a cave with only the head out a bit. the only fish I’d worry about is the tang and possibly dwarf lion. Others are too small and the eel won’t really go after them.
Also, you can “train” eels to show what is actually food and once it is on a consistent feeding regimen your tank mates are safer. Although, nothing is guaranteed.

Han

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would think a small slow moving fish like a dwarf lion would be an easy snack for a dragon eel.

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your tank size is fine, but all of your current fish would be on the menu. Lionfish aren't good tankmates for fang tooth eels, because they perch, are relatively slow moving, and are just easy pickings. I saw a dragon eel take down a good size blue tang, albeit it was during introduction, but he was ripped and rolled in seconds. There is no need to talk about the others, its a fang tooth, eating fish is it's business. Adequate tank mates would include triggrrs , large angels, tough tangs, groupers, and similar aggressive/semi aggressive large fish.

OP
OP
Cstar_BC

Cstar_BC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your tank size is fine, but all of your current fish would be on the menu. Lionfish aren't good tankmates for fang tooth eels, because they perch, are relatively slow moving, and are just easy pickings. I saw a dragon eel take down a good size blue tang, albeit it was during introduction, but he was ripped and rolled in seconds. There is no need to talk about the others, its a fang tooth, eating fish is it's business. Adequate tank mates would include triggrrs , large angels, tough tangs, groupers, and similar aggressive/semi aggressive large fish.
Thank you . As mentioned this tank is mostly for the carpet - I know the tang is a risk with the carpet.

Just wanted a good list of fish that could live with a dragon eel - would hate to have an empty tank with just one inhabitant .

for a separate 200gallon tank

Ingenuity against algae: Do you use DIY methods for controlling nuisance algae?

• I have used DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 43 46.7%
  • I use commercial methods for controlling algae, but never DIY methods.

Votes: 21 22.8%
  • I have not used commercial or DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 22 23.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 6.5%
Back