Dsnakes IM Fusion 20

leahfiish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm dealing with cyano too. I think it's because my nitrates and phosphates are too high. I am tempted to use chemiclean as well but I think if I don't get my nutrients under control first it will just come back. Do you know what is causing yours?

OP
OP
Dsnakes

Dsnakes

Knight Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm dealing with cyano too. I think it's because my nitrates and phosphates are too high. I am tempted to use chemiclean as well but I think if I don't get my nutrients under control first it will just come back. Do you know what is causing yours?
Probably similar to yours. I think mine is from a crowded sandbed that doesn't get much flow. I'm sure the fact that I have never stirred to sandbed hasn't helped and it is harboring nutrients.

Last edited:

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I found starving it out by keeping my phosphates low, and cleaning. I have read a bunch of threads about balance out the nutrients, and I tend to be a believer. Cleaners will work very well but can only the a temporary fix.

I like the Black Friday new additions. Happy Thanksgiving !!

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My DT was a red slim mess last year at this time, after getting the phosphates down and getting my nutrients out of balance (phosphates to low) the dreaded Dino bloom started. I have been feed heavy and using flake food to get the phosphate up:)

OP
OP
Dsnakes

Dsnakes

Knight Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After a crushed box scare, I'm happy to say that all of the contents were alive and well.
IMG_8385.JPG
IMG_8388.JPG

Large purple plate
IMG_8393.JPG

My first of hopefully many Acanthophyllia. Awesome piece.
IMG_8395.JPG

11 other frags are still opening up!

XNavyDiver

Insightful answer loading... please wait.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_7904.JPG
Working on seeding some siporax for a sump on another build. It's taking up a lot of space in this little tank. Anyone know how long it takes to seed something like that in an established tank?
This looks like you were netting yourself a mess o' frags! :)

XNavyDiver

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Trying to clean up the sandbed a bit. I started to notice a bit of cyano algae growing, so I wanted to open up the flow a bit.

Still a lot to do! Ordered some epoxy and gel glue to try and mount some more frags on the rock.
IMG_8327.JPG
IMG_8328.JPG
Finally got around at looking at your tank Dsnakes. Really cool. Packed. I like that. Tell me, in the pics above, the orange one.. is that a setosa?
My wife is from your neck of the woods (Louisburg, NC) and we visit the OBX almost every year. Last year we were in Nags Head. I just love it out there. So jealous.

OP
OP
Dsnakes

Dsnakes

Knight Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Finally got around at looking at your tank Dsnakes. Really cool. Packed. I like that. Tell me, in the pics above, the orange one.. is that a setosa?
My wife is from your neck of the woods (Louisburg, NC) and we visit the OBX almost every year. Last year we were in Nags Head. I just love it out there. So jealous.
Yeah it's definately packed! Yes that's a Setosa. I've finally gotten it to stay standing up with some epoxy. It's growing quick, I have fragged it a few times now. It is nice here. I grew up in Kansas, we moved here about 8 years ago and if we move again, it's to the keys :)

XNavyDiver

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah it's definately packed! Yes that's a Setosa. I've finally gotten it to stay standing up with some epoxy. It's growing quick, I have fragged it a few times now. It is nice here. I grew up in Kansas, we moved here about 8 years ago and if we move again, it's to the keys :)
I've had what looks like the exact setosa for months now, and it is a suuuuuuper sl0000000w grower. Although mine was mounted a bit lower in my tank. I just love how it spreads by an almost oozing type of growth pattern. It's one of my favorites for sure. :)

OP
OP
Dsnakes

Dsnakes

Knight Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking through some old pics, I cropped these to check the growth.
First pic July 20
IMG_6722.JPG

Second pic November 21
IMG_7496.JPG

Between that timeframe, I probably did 3 water changes. I need to buy a doser, or change water more. I could probably get better growth. I'm not complaining though, I can see the difference :)

OP
OP
Dsnakes

Dsnakes

Knight Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just placed an order for 50 Nassarius snails. I am hoping they will help clean up my sandbed so I can start beating this cyano.

cody2cannon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just placed an order for 50 Nassarius snails. I am hoping they will help clean up my sandbed so I can start beating this cyano.
50?? Is that a typo?
Side view and front view. I like the orbit lights, however the mount could use some improvement.

IMG_7877.JPG
IMG_7876.JPG

Daltrey

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just ordered 25 myself. They should be here tomorrow, love the knight rider avi. My dad had a firebird just like it when i was a kid. I remember him hitting 100 in it once passing an 18 wheeler and my mom chewing him out and telling him he better never drive like that with us kids in the car, ha. I think I had the coolest dad ever!

Last edited:

XNavyDiver

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just ordered 25 myself. They should be here tomorrow, love the knight rider avi. My dad had a firebird just like it when i was a kid. I remember him hitting 100 in it once passing an 18 wheeler and my mom chewing him out and telling him he better never drive like that with us kids in the car, ha. I think I had the coolest dad ever!
Your dad and my dad would have gotten along. He had 69 Charger back in the day and would take us kids for rides while we stood on the backseat. He would take hills at 90+ and we would experience weightlessness for a few seconds. Ah...to to be a child in the 70's.

OP
OP
Dsnakes

Dsnakes

Knight Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That would be a blast as a kid!

Wow bud..super awesome looking set up.. digging it. Great job cheers
Thanks!

Your dad and my dad would have gotten along. He had 69 Charger back in the day and would take us kids for rides while we stood on the backseat. He would take hills at 90+ and we would experience weightlessness for a few seconds. Ah...to to be a child in the 70's.

My father has a '68 Camaro convertible. Awesome car!

XNavyDiver

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That would be a blast as a kid!

Thanks!

My father has a '68 Camaro convertible. Awesome car!
Agreed. Glad to hear the present tense in that sentence. My father isn't (and never has been) a sentimental guy. I'm pretty sure he sold his Charger sometime in the mid 70's. He never did have an eye for things that would become collectors items in the future. Too bad.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 86 76.1%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 13 11.5%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 7.1%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 1.8%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back